Is there a default frequency for ILS? (Airbus tuned to wrong ILS during ILS and RNAV approach to FACT rwy 01)

I was flying A320neo into Cape Town (FACT) with an IFR flight plan configured to come in on RNAV 01. When I got close I saw I had a localizer/glidescope fix visible after clicking on the “LS” button to show the landing system state, so figured it must be picking up the RNAV route, or it included ILS as a final phase?

But I was wrong – it had picked up ILS for runway 19, so dutifully turned me 180 degrees and sent me out to sea when I pushed the “APPR” button to activate approach mode. :frowning:

This is my fault for not reading carefully – it was clearly marked on the PFD as picking up ILS for rwy 19, the opposite direction from my approach.

However it seems weird that it was already tuned to the exact opposite runway from the one I was coming in, on 109.1.

Is 109.1 the default or something? Or does it automatically pick up frequencies for some reason I don’t understand?

There is no default ILS frequency anywhere, and it does NOT tune for ILS automatically.

Then what tuned it to 109.1?

Same freq ? Back Course ???

Don’t know, but ILS for rwy 01 is 110.30

Would an RNAV approach enable an ILS frequency? Could the nav data be wrong? Or would it not tune the ILS frequency when doing an RNAV approach?

I tried coming again on the same approach from just out at sea and it picks up the same RWY 19 ILS frequency on my RNAV 01 approach, just as before.

Same as what? The runways have different frequencies. There was nothing else before approach to tune to. I have no manually tuned ILS (and don’t even know how on this plane).

It’s nice that you have your flightplan configured for RNAV 1. Question is what approach did ATC assign you for?

I think you have just answered you own question. :see_no_evil: :hear_no_evil: :speak_no_evil:

2 Likes

They assigned me the same one (RNAV 01), because I configured it in the flight plan on the world map and ATC does what I tell them to.

How so? That doesn’t explain how a tuning happened without my doing anything that I know of, and I would like to understand better how it’s working and what’s going on so I can operate it properly. Do you actually have further information you can share? If so, thanks!

It’s basically the exact opposite.

However, why are you using the LS switch anyway? From what I know it’s not supposed to be used with RNAV or VOR approaches.

What’s the exact opposite of what?

Oh, and THANK YOU for confirming that LS is not relevant to RNAV or VOR approaches. That’s useful information that is not covered by the complete 100% lack of manuals or tutorials in this simulator.

I pushed it because I knew I needed it for ILS approaches, and wasn’t sure if I needed it elsewhere.

Ok, the same thing happens if I select the ILS 01 approach: it tunes to ILS 19 instead:

• FMS’s arrival says ILS 01
  • ATC says runway 01
  • PFD says tuned to ILS 19 on 109.1
  • PFD says I’m 180 degrees off

So either it never automatically tunes, but it defaults to 109.1, or it automatically tunes but it’s tuning to the wrong runway. I can think of no other explanation?

ATC is giving the orders. No matter what you file with your flightplan - weather conditions and traffic can make it necessary to change runways and approaches. At least in the real world. In the sim, ATC is currently a bit wonky at times but nevertheless you should listen carefully.

The LS button can be used for ILS and LOC approaches.

Besides, I wouldn’t blame it on the sim that there’s no manual for the A320 integrated. Luckily you can look all that up on the internet. There are tons of websites, forums and YouTube channels dedicated to aviation in general and flightsims specifically.
A good site for what every switch in the cockpit of the A320 does is this site, for example.

1 Like

Are you talking about real ATC or are you talking about Flight Simulator 2020? I’m talking about Flight Simulator 2020.

In Flight Simulator 2020, to the best of my knowledge, if I select an approach it will be passed through by ATC. I haven’t yet encountered an opposite case to this. Have you? Do you know the rules for what it selects? Thanks!

Try this…
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/a320-tune-the-ils/292605/5?u=willisxdc

1 Like

I have to say this one more time…
It does NOT tune ILS automatically. You do it manually EVERY time! Period