Is there a good guide to Intel vs. AMD?

Hi all,

Wondering if there is an objective guide / site / resource to performance and system considerations when weighing Intel vs. AMD.

While I’d like to think it’s only for FS :slight_smile: I use my PC for client and personal 3D work as well.

Any help appreciated.

1 Like

I think it’s apple to apples these days, dunno. But I’m more an Intel guy since I know the line up well…

2 Likes

Funny, saw that this morning, but he jumps right into laptops… not sure how this works in relation to desktops. Probably similar? :slight_smile: I didn’t watch it yet…

For about 5 years I built Custom Desktops, and at that time I used intel only. A friend only used AMD. I do know for fact AMD Designs their own processors, but farms out our used to farm out the fabrication to a 3rd party. My big concern with that is quality control on the line, and country of orgin. Intel on the ohter hand owns and builds their own processors on their production lines, and can immediately, stop, and investigate and then re-do any errors and mistakes which show up. And although Intel might not be at the very cusp of technology, and have delays bringing some products to retail/wholesale, I think I just trust their products more. I have always ues them in my builds and purchased builds. Current laptop Intel I-7-9750 and happy with its performance. Not sure when going to buy dedicated gamer desktop, but it will have Intel inside then, think it’s between ASUS and corsair, but marketplace changes in blink of eye. Happy with my two ASUS laptops, great customer service.

I’ve used intel before, but I’m currently using AMD. Both are excellent and you’ll likely end up being happy with either (unless you get a dud, ofcourse).

All I can really say is that since AMD lifted it’s game, intel has also stepped up. And I’m hearing great things about both in their upcoming lineups. In a strange reversal of roles, intel seems to be cheaper for the mainstream these days…so that’s definitely worth something…

1 Like

At this point in time, which to get is almost irrelevant. Both will provide you with top tier performance.

If you’re all about gaming, all the time and care about little else, you may be better off with top tier Intel stuff as single core performance tends to be a bit faster. And it really is a BIT faster. You’re talking single digit percentage differences here.

If you do anything that takes advantage of multiple cores (especially digital content creation), then AMD is the way to go hands down. You get way more cores that will chew through multithreaded workloads and leave Intel so far behind it’s like putting a toddler in the boxing ring with Mike Tyson.

1 Like

Gamersnexus is hands down the best. Hardwareunboxed is good too.
The worst is Linus, just ignore him.
AMD are better cpu’s for gaming in general.

AMD has better single core performance when not overclocked.
AMD has MUCH better multicore performance.
AMD consumes MUCH less power.
AMD is cooler
AMD is MUCH more efficient

Speaking about zen3 vs intel only.

There’s a reason why no one is buying intel cpu’s anymore and AMD is outselling intel badly. There’s just no reason to buy intel at this time. Intel had a lead for very long time so some people are still buying intel because they simply don’t do much research or lack knowledge or just believe the marketing.

It’s also VERY important on which resolution you’ll be playing. 1080p cpu matters, on 1440p you won’t notice a difference, it will be few fps, the only times you would notice a difference are games which perform good (the higher the fps the more cpu matters, 150fps, 200fps). On 3440x1440 (ultrawide) the difference will be even smaller. On 4k there won’t be any difference between 300€ and 600€ cpu.
11th gen intel is an absolute failure. Not even worth considering. Just like 3080ti, no one asked for it, no one needs it.

1 Like

I’ve always found it odd that so many people out there (including on this forum) keep recommending the 5800X when every review I’ve ever seen of it recommends avoiding it and either getting the cheaper 5600X or the higher core 5900X. Both of which offer far better value for money.

1 Like

Have you closely followed whats going on in the market ?

Your assertion was 100% correct when Zen 3 initially launched. The 5800x was not a good value for money. However that perception has changed due to two things… The initial lack of supply of the desired 5600x/5900x and over abundance of the 5800x putting downard pressure on the price and the release of the 11700k at 399.00 further forcing the AMD equivalent price down to a similar price point. Where the value to performance assessment is more in line with the rest of the product stack.

1 Like

Intel haters incoming…

I have the i9 11900k and love it. So much negativity towards Intel.

Alot of those haters just try and echo what Linus says. Pointless.

3 Likes

Yeah I did wonder about that but I thought things had eased up of late. I picked up a 5600X without any problem a few months ago. Thats here in the UK though. I realise the situation is different in other countries, particularly the US.

2 Likes

I have no brand loyalties. I personally tend to evaluate my own needs and then get the best high end bang for the buck CPU I can get for my use case. This time around, that happened to be an AMD CPU. I needed as many cores as I could possibly get due to my other non-gaming workloads, but still needed fast single core performance for gaming. AMD was the clear, hands-down winner.

The last time I owned an AMD CPU before that was an Athlon XP 1700+. The last time before that was an AMD 386DX40. I just get whatever happens to be the best for me at the time.

3 Likes

Thanks - I haven’t seen any reviews saying to avoid it, but then I haven’t read that many. Any links would be appreciated.

In Philadelphia, 5800X boxes were on the shelf this morning & the last few times I was at the computer store recently.

1 Like

To the OP

i would HIGHLY RECOMMEND not asking on these forums which one is better and just going through YOUR own requirements (productivity/gaming/specific applications) and just taking your time and doing the research.
You tube reviews are fine as long as the reviewers in question have established themselves and are objective and CAN PROVE their objectivity.

Taking a read at Toms Hardware and Anandtech wont hurt either.
Everyone has their preference based on what they want out of their hardware. You need to decide what you want out of it and take a look at the charts and make a well informed decision.

Too many blind loyalists on here for objectivity (That is my opinion).

4 Likes

Big up for Gamersnexus, I enjoy Linus alot but more for entertainment! Hardwareunboxed I saw a couple of reviews I just didn’t agree with, it depends who you get on that channel but it’s hit or miss for me, I don’t always trust them but I still watch the videos because the content is usually excellent.

AMD have done fantastically well, they’ve never been in a better place and exceed Intel on a number of performance metrics. Personally I still wouldn’t buy an AMD processor or GPU, my scars run too deep. Also I love my G2 and virtual reality and AMD and the G2 don’t mix.

Happy with Intel, the software, drivers and eco system, I know where I stand - the shift would have to be monumental for me to move to AMD and I’m not seeing that right now.

3 Likes

You know, I have to agree. I prefer AMD and have done so since the first Athlon launched (so about 22 years), but I’m not a fanboy. If one company offers a better product or a much better price:performance ratio I go with that, but if they’re virtually the same, I prefer AMD to support the underdog.
That means I preferred Athlon, Athlon XP, Athlon 64; but after that Intel got an unbeatable lead with Core 2, Core i* and so on, pretty much until Ryzen launched. And at that point Intel still had the lead for gaming, all the way until the Ryzen 5000 series last year.

When the Ryzen 5000 series launched, they were a fairly easy choice for higher end IMO – especially if you benefited from 12+ cores, in which case choosing Intel would be insane; you could probably save $500 and get a faster CPU versus Intels HEDT lineup.

Today it’s a bit different. The 11000 series isn’t bad at all, and on the lower-end, actually usually cheaper than AMD.
On the higher end, the differences aren’t huge IMO. With unlocked power settings (which I think some motherboard manufacturers ship with), Intel do lose big in efficiency. But with the Intel recommended settings, the difference isn’t big after the ~60 seconds where they’re allowed to draw more power.

2 Likes

Well… I didn’t ask which was better.

I asked for objective references.

1 Like

Fair enough … My apologies for the mis interpretation of the initial request.
As you requested
References
Youtube :
Gamers Nexus / Hardware Unboxed / Hardware Canucks / Pauls Tech tips

Web based Media
Anandtech / Toms Hardware Guide

2 Likes