Is there a way to accelerate starting MSFS?

I dont know you but it takes nearly 6 to 10 minutes since when I click the icon until the app is ready to be used. Maybe is the community folder size? I would imaging that it loads up the content once and then caches it so the next time scans for the differences or is the community folder?

Yes, your community folder plays a role, it loads everything in there. You could use add on linker from flightsim.to which allows you to only load the add-ons you want to use for that flight.

IE I don’t need europe static AI or VFR if I’m not flying in Europe at that time so it won’t load.

3 Likes

Yes a larger community folder would add significant time, and you may want to look at just loading what you need for that flight. Otherwise it still takes me about a minute to launch with an M.2 drive. That’s a crazy long time, are you still on spinning disks? It’s a big game. You can also enable fast launch command line flag that stops the animations at startup.

The fast launch command goes like this:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start shell:AppsFolder\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App “-FastLaunch”

Make a new shortcut on desktop and copy the above to the Destination field.

Saves about 30 secs 8)

And here is a link for an Addon Linker a friend recommended:

MSFS Addons Linker » Microsoft Flight Simulator

Blue skies!

I am on an M2 as well, a crazy fast one and 128GB DDR4, Still takes a lifetime to load the sim. I have a lot of liveries including the IVAO ones, maybe is that. I will need to go folder by folder to see if there is something really taking a lot.

Thanks, will try the linker!

1 Like

Yeah I’d try to lean out your community folder then… Or use a tool that let’s you pick what to bring in as suggested. Might help the game be more stable too.

1 Like

It absolutely takes precious time to get the sim to the start screen but after starting it, I prepare a hot and strong cup of coffee, go to the loo, wash my hands, top off the first bucket of coffee, select a plane and airport, click fly, position stick, throttle and rudder pedals, plug in the headset, re-fill my bucket with even more coffee and I’m on the left seat in the cockpit of choise for the flight.
In the real world you first have to get to the airfield, push/pull the bird out of the hangar, do a walk around, check the amount of oil and fuel, start it up, do several checks on controls etc.
Long story short: in the sim you’re way faster in the air then IRL :upside_down_face:

7 Likes

Not to forget that the whole shebang goes the other way around after landing, plus the dreaded logbook…“where’s the pen?”…“uh…what was my landing time again?”…“where is the logbook anyway?”… :nauseated_face:

3 Likes

I really have some sort of factory freak PC parts then…my community folder is 100GB and I load both MSFS screens in under a minute.
I’m on a
1080ti/8700k
Samsung 840 SSD
32GB Overclocked RAM

when you mean MSFS Screen, do you mean you are ready to fly or just the loading screen? That will be something interesting.

I’m on a Samsung Evo 970 Plus 1TB drive, have an i9-10900, and 32GB memory and it takes forever for me too. I do have a few mods in my community folder. Mostly this Hawaii landing challenges and stuff add-on and also the Saint Martin Princess Juliana/Maho beach/Grand Case add-on. Rest is some Hawaiian Airline liveries.

Gonna have to do a test this weekend to see launch speeds with and without the community folder empty and report back.

I have similar config but 128GB Memory, I tested it with minimal MODs in the community folder and still takes ages, so my conclusion is that the community folder has some impact but defo the baseline takes a long time.

1 Like

Have you ruled out other software running in the background on your PC, perhaps try loading Windows in a clean boot environment and/or creating an exclusion for MSFS in your antivirus software if you use one?

Really clean PC, I have MSFS and Xplane. Do you experience fast loadings?

While I would not really call it quick I certainly don’t find it painfully slow either.
Purely for a level of comparison - not sim bashing…
I would say MSFS is faster than P3D both loading the sim UI and then loading into the sim environment.
XP11 is probably faster to the UI but similar to the sim environment.

Although you say you have a really clean PC I would still be inclined to use msconfig to create a clean boot condition for windows then try the sim. Doing so will stop lots of hidden background tasks launching at all when you start your PC, it’s not quite the same as simply closing any open programs/tasks.

are you using SSD? It will boost the loading time.

Initial loading screen after sim checks for updates that progress bar loads in under a minute, I always time it because I’m wearing my VR headset and I know to hit my VR switch when I hear that distinct chime/click when the main screen loads. The second loading screen after selecting your aircraft and location always loads in under a minute also regardless of addons.

It’s crazy I keep reading about up to 10-15 minute waiting times on here with folks in MSFS.
There is no way im sitting for 10 minutes with my VR headset on waiting on loading.:sleeping:
I’m all too familiar with extremely long waiting times from prior sims like FSX, where certain airport/scenery addons can take up to 10 minutes and you might as well load your flight then go AFK to do something else and come back it takes so long.

So yea I’m not sure what’s going on, but since this sim’s launch I’ve noticed I also seem to get far better performance in VR and 2D in higher settings than some users with much heavier firepower hardware combos than my now dated 1080ti/8700k. Maybe we can chalk that up to just overall more mature optimized and efficient drivers for the now dated tested and tuned 10 series cards? I don’t know.
Again my setup is
1080ti Stock Clocks
8700k w/5.0ghz OC
32 GB RAM XMP Overclock Mode 3200MHZ
Now 6 year old Samsung 840 SSD 500GB
Fully Updated Windows 10
About 100GB of addons in Community Folder ( Including several ORBX and Latin VFR Airports and Freeware Google Maps Photogrammetry Sceneries)
(I’ve even tested the loading times with other programs and several google chrome tabs open in the background. Still lightning fast loading times.)

I use an M2 7,300 MB/s, one of the fastest on the market

yes, that’s not the problem, then there is a progress bar that takes for ever, then the carrousel of pictures about all the goodies of the latest World update and finally the home screen, 6-8 minutes takes the whole process.