Is there a way to make AI ships and leisure boats work?

I see no moving ships or boats whatsoever, anywhere, ever. It is not in the known issues list.

Does this actually work and it depends on some setting I don’t have correctly configured, or is this just broken?

Leisure boats and ships and ferries sliders are obviously up.

Yeah I know there are mods for this…

Of course by using mods such as this one

2 Likes

Well yeah but I avoid scenery mods and scenery addons if at all possible as the second primary cause of sim instability. Might make an exception for this one after some research.

But my point was about the default feature, ships and boats is supposedly something that is supported in the base sim, it does not seem to work at all, Microsoft never seem to mention it, what gives??

1 Like

I think I have stopped seeing them moving many months ago and I’m not even sure I ever saw a ship actually moving. You need to go to a really typical place like NY harbor or Nice, French Riviera to see some. But in general, the ships are more an annoyance than an asset to me, particularly the static ones. For example, there is one gas tanker, one container carrier and one cruise ship to cover everything big ships in the world and they have moored a gas tanker in the Heligoland harbor scenery, which is a completely bogus sight that can’t even be corrected easily by scenery designers.

1 Like

I remember in FSX and Prepar3D you would see these little leisure craft buzzing around everywhere, with their wakes, making things look a lot more alive on the seas… Miss that.

2 Likes

So on the latest flight I cranked the shipping and boats sliders all the way to 100% (never have anything traffic related at 100% but figured I’d try). That did result in some leisure boats along the Italian Adriatic coast. Could not really tell if they were moving or not without a wake… So it seems maybe at least some of it works. Will need to explore more.

Out of all the mods I’ve seen to date for MSFS since launch, Henrik’s Global Shipping AI is the least possible suspect of CTDs and system instability - I’ve used it since before he converted it to MSFS native. And at 6 percent slider for all ship types, it puts the least amount of system performance load for any shipping scenery add-on.

7 Likes

Thanks, that is helpful. I have heard so much good about it now that I think I will check it out.

Without mods I only have boats in the oceans, lakes and rivers are totally oblivious to there existence. With the exception when I saw a 1/2 sunk cabin cruiser sitting in the mississippi river. The funny thing is that little navmap shows them on the map right underneath you, but they still dont show in-sim.

We used to have them everywhere and they even moved about…

That’s because MSFS places all boats at sea level currently. This means on lakes and rivers that are above sea level the boats will be sunk. Until MSFS fixes that you are stuck with it.

Henrik did add the great lakes addon. He did so by manually adjusting the ships to be above sea level and match the msfs great lakes water level, but it’s only a work around until MSFS fixes the boats/water level issue.

Definitely a +1 on that, and that adds so much to flying out to the sea. However, GAIST deals more with international traffic and (apart from some specials like the Swiss steamboat fleet) not with typical inland or domestic coastal traffic or even leisure boats, for that AFAIK there’s only the payware Seafront Enhanced AI vessels and (again AFAIK) that doesn’t increase the number of boats, it just replaces the models.

I don’t know about the leisure traffic not being present - I fly out of KUUU (Newport RI) all the time, and the amount/variety/tracks of racing sail boats and power boats/cruisers under 40’ is pretty representative of real world.

There are also these two payware addons that work quite well.

1 Like

LOL, then you are missing out on all the things that make a sim great…

4 Likes

But you see we used to have boats everywhere. Sometimes they even moved. It just up until recent maybe 4 or 5 that they have disappeared from the anything but sea level waterways. Its one of those things that worked they broke it and havent fixed it as of yet…

I can’t say that I’ve ever noticed small boats in MSFS, like FSX… and I’ve running GAIST for years to cover shipping… By far one of the best addons for the flight sim series - smokes the payware, which is basically 5 ship models they bought off turbosquid and copy pasted everywhere.

We really didn’t. The sea level only issue has been present since day one.

I have had boats on the lakes and such before the aforementioned updates. I think it was SU5 where they disappeared from the Lakes but it might have been 4. I even have a few pics posted in the what did you do today, of a cabin cruiser sailing infront of me, and then crossing a small peninsula across the land to get to the harbor on the other side.

Hi Captain !

I’ve got nearly thousand (1000) addons in my community folder,for me it’s stable like a rock!!

Scott

Were did you get that from? The only problem with scenery addons I’m familiar with is modellib.bgl issue which can easily be resolved.
Of course there are large photogrammetry mods that can cause issues with memory and GPU performance, but otherwise I never had problems with scenery mods. And I also got tons of stuff in the TB range