Is there no "off-topic" Forum Section?

While not relating directly to Flight Simulator 2020, there’s some discussions I’d like to have with this community.

The main topic I’ve had on my mind is the potential Flight Simulator has presented for Simulation as a whole.

Namely, I don’t consider Flight Simulator a “Sim”…I think of it more as a “Platform” for Simulation.

With such extensive use of photogrammetry and 3rd party developers, there’s many possibilities in where Asobo & Microsoft could take the Platform.

I would love to lay out my thoughts of “Sim vs. Platform” if the mods allow, but if not, that’s ok.

1 Like

I think its deliberately kept pretty streamlined here since its the official forum. ‘Off topic’ areas of forums do just become a bit of a random wild west of posts that are a nightmare to moderate.

Thats an interesting topic as of itself though and one which I would have thought would be allowed. Its about the sim after all. There’s already a paid for mod where you can drive boats in the sim. Seems a bit silly for a flight simulator but as you say the sim does provide an increasingly interesting back drop to do a wide range of things. There’s certainly possibilities there anyway.

I’ve said in the past here I wouldn’t be surprised if Microsoft does something more in the future with the tech they’ve created. A DCS competitor springs to mind anyway.

1 Like

Exactly. I once said “imagine the possibilities if Turn10 (of Forza) and Asobo bumped heads…”.

I think about something like that almost everyday.

1 Like

Off topic usually descends into fights over politics and or world events at other forums I know.

This is a nice break from those.

7 Likes

Yeah, I’m well aware of the chaos such sections can create. I just want to gauge if my topic would be allowed in General.

I think driving around in the sim would have little appeal. I know you can already do it but even the highest resolution photogrammetry available looks pretty terrible up really close and driving around the Blackshark AI generated world would have limited appeal beyond it being a bit of a novelty.

Shipping I could see being a bit more popular. As I said, people are already doing it and exploring the possibilities. It’ll be interesting to see how that develops. But yeah I can see people experimenting with other things. Its always going to be limited by what the SDK can do though.

Totally agree.

Your topic into can stay in General Discussion.
But, please change your title. :+1:

1 Like

Yes, there is no problem if you discussed something like that here. As long as the discussion is about Microsoft Flight Simulator, the discussion is fair game!

1 Like

Taking into account the extremely big size of this forum you can use the “traditional” flight simulation forums for this purpose.

If you ask me, about half of the discussions in this forum are off topic, or I should say, they have no real point to them. (Except this one. Fair question, OP.)

There was already this topic since launch. We can all vote when interested :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.