Is this simulator still an absolute mess?

I loved this when it first came out. I quit using it after the Japan update because it crashed and was so broken.

Is this still a broken mess, or have some/most things been ironed out?

I am posting this because my rig is packed up, I don’t want to bring it all back out just to find its broken beyond flight.

6 Likes

The Japan update was a complete ■■■■ show IMHO. Since then they’ve ironed out a lot of the major bugs. It’s at least as stable and playable as it was at launch. Still has issues, but overall it works well, depending on the level of depth and realism you’re looking for.

I’m sure you’ll hear many complaints of how it’s “unplayable” because of pixellated clouds and other such nonsense, and hear of people having genuine issues still. But overall it’s decent.

16 Likes

Circumnavigated the world and still flying.
However, I still get a ctd or glitch after a few hours in flight, or even 5 minutes in.
Saving my spot helps, even thought that in itself barely works.
Fallout/Skryim can remember where every single object in the game is but it can’t remember my flight plan?
It’s a gray area, they do seem to be working on bugs and are making progress but it’s up to you how much it’s worth it. I built a PC specifically for this game so I’m pretty invested in it.

2 Likes

How do you save your spot?

What were the specs of the PC you built? I’m playing on a 4 year old gaming laptop with mobile GTX 1070 and intel i7 7700HQ with 16 GB RAM.

I’ve been wanting to upgrade my flight sim PC. It’ll either be a new gaming laptop sometime in 2021 with mobile RTX 3080, 10th gen i7 or i9, and at least 32 GB RAM or a gaming desktop with RTX 3080 or 3090 if that’ll be much better than a laptop. I’m waiting on the sim to iron out the bugs before I commit to that level of system. I hate that there are no seasons and that the autopilot is terrible. Sometimes the sim was hard to update, and it won’t let you play without updating whenever there is an update available.

1 Like

It’s an online game. That will never change.

3 Likes

Yep, it still is. A lot worse than the last time I was playing. VR is too laggy and ugly to be usable but even when using a monitor it’s a stuttering mess and it has never been like that for me. Still has a long way to go unfortunately.

5 Likes

VR is great, no issues, so don’t know why some have issues, I dare say majority of us
user’s are happy.

20 Likes

I wouldn’t unpack it just for this game, not worth it yet. It is still a broken mess, now with VR.

8 Likes

Not sure, but it stutters and flashes white all the time and runway lines are so blurry you can’t tell what they are until you’re on the ground. Clouds also look terrible when having to keep them on low and reflections are completely broken. Another interesting thing is if you have snow cover the snow on the runway disappears as you get close to it.

1 Like

You won’t get an answer that’ll help you, with a question that is so general and so devisive.

IMHO it never was an absolute mess. There were messy things, and there still are many messy things (ATC, airliners, Garmin avionics, some of which are being addressed by modders and/or Asobo) But in general it’s fun VFR is brilliant, there’s a great community and loads of potential.
I remember the first XPlane years when everyone thought it would never be as good as MSFS. Now the rolls are reversed after MS neglected the franchise for over 10 years and has to catch up.
So basically there are two things that decide whether MSFS is still a mess for you:

1. Your expectations and requirements (i.e. GA VFR vs. AP IFR airliner)
  2. Your attitude. If you expect perfection you won’t get it.
19 Likes

My question is not general or devisive.

Never a mess?

• The aircrafts were COMPLETELY shutting all of its avionics off in mid flight.
  • The game would CTD after the Japan update after flying for 45 minutes (more or less)…this would make you question, why did I even bother wasting my time flying for nothing?
    -VFR IS BRILLIANT
    -My requirements? I require a simulator which allows me to start an aircraft, taxi, take off, and not lose all of my navigation equipment, and render the cockpit unusable.
    -My attitude, is that I bought a simulator/game. Where the entire purpose of said simulator/game is to fly…and patches released by a developer (multiple times, at least october and prior) have caused it to be borderline impossible to do the one thing its bought for…and thats fly. Thats not an attitude issue at all.
    -Your comments are the same as saying “buy a shooter, sure, we broke the guns, in fact, guns are removed from the game…but be optimistic, because you can pretend you are still shooting”

I bought a flight simulator to fly…and the shotty patches have caused it almost impossible at the time (around Japan update) to do that very thing…and that’s with at the least, a 9700K and a 2060super. It might not be at the top of the food chain. But its respectable to use for this sim title.

-no other game on the market has given me multiple game breaking updates.
:+1:t2:

10 Likes

Yes this and the CTD issue after Japan update has been fixed.

IFR too is equally brilliant, FBW A320 team have made amazing progress given the fact that the sim is only four months old. They are already working on custom fly by wire and autopilot system. Even released a video the other day where the aircraft was doing an autoland.

And Working Title’s CJ4 mod…I’m gonna quote a bunch of real world business jet pilots here who tested this and are still using it in the sim: its FMS alone at this very moment is almost 1:1 with its real world counterpart according to what these real world pilots are saying. I can actually show you evidence of this.

I do a combination of IFR and VFR in Carenado’s PA44 and M20R all the time, and after some of the recent MS/Asobo updates they are almost perfect, thanks to some of the brilliant and exceptional avionics modders such as Pimarc and Working Title team.

Yes, this one has now been fulfilled. Initially there were issues and it’s understandable given how massive and ambitious this whole project is and will remain to be. I never experienced losing avionics etc either before or after any update and therefore I can confidently say I don’t have this issue. but Use it and tell us if you still suffer from it and many of us would be willing to help.

The point of this is not to give up. We human beings wouldn’t have achieved absolutely anything in life if we gave up simply because X or Y didn’t work, or our personal requirement was not met.

Mine is a i7-5820K and 1080ti (16 GB ram), and from 18th August, 2020 up until now I’ve never encountered an issue that would make me wanna give up and pack up everything, given the fact that my requirements seem to be way higher than the ones you mentioned.

What rapper 50 cent once said: “At first you fail, try, try try try again”. If something doesn’t look right, tell us.

11 Likes

Fair enough,
I will give the flight sim a try again.
Give up is strong. I love this sim, to give up on it would be terrible.
But to let it “incubate” for awhile.
Yeah, the japan update needed some incubation. Lol

1 Like

Funny I have been flying with it sense it came out. I bet I have had no more than 5 CTD. My longest flight was about 3 hours with a landing in the middle. I do not fly airliners. I have flown a lot of GA, the Mooney, C182, the Turbo Props, the small Jet, Baron, and the PA44. Did have issues with the add on planes for a while but just stayed out of them while they fixed the issue. I have add on weather also. I use Little NavMap and Skypark and have no issues with those either.
I guess I’m just lucky.

2 Likes

I’d call my self an enthusiast-lite simmer, so there’s much might not be right, but I wouldn’t know it. I’ve figured out the TBM to be solid. I’ve been flying the FBW 320 with success.

I’m having fun and learning things and tha’ts my measure of a quality product.

FWIW, I’ve been using Pilot2ATC and that has resolved a lot of my frustrations with flight planning, the flight computer, and ATC.

1 Like

Where did you see the FBW video? I don’t see the effort having a presence other than github and discord.

I dont fly in Japan so I havent installed that. You don’t need too and it saves space on the hard drive :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am surprised that gaming laptops are still a thing. Too heavy to carry. The only situation I can ever imagine a gaming laptop being useful is when you travel a lot for a longer time and still want to play latest games. otherwise, why would anyone sacrifice 30% (3080M is basically as fast as a desktop 3070) of the performance and larger screen size from a desktop for the same amount of money?

2 Likes

I have none of the training or challenges loaded. I don’t use them so why have them? Same with Japan. I don’t fly there. My community folder has Navigraph, and the Working Title Garmin mods, plus the GNS530 mod by @ScorpionFilm422. That’s it. No liveries.

The software works great; I fly anywhere I want with rarely a hiccup. GA only: the airliners do not interest me in the least.

2 Likes

Amen to that! I worked with pilots before and the sim missed so much out in terms of realism of what a real pilot goes through. Fuel changes / weather changes last minute or even engineer issues. I love vfr or basic ifr with some charts but still prefer local flying.

1 Like