Is this why MSFS is fantastic for releasing wonderful new stuff but a tad slow at fixing bugs?

happened to me just a few minutes ago. Missed approach, I never got clearance to descend to platform to intercept the glideslope. ATC completely silent after passing the initial fix all the way to shut down.

The strange thing is the bridges, piers, etc. are all there, often in great detail. The AI just puts water on top of them.

Iā€™ve been publishing water fixes but it does seem the machine learning could be updated to identify bridges and other structures in water. It would be way less tedious than all the manual fixes. Iā€™m working on one for the Florida east cost line.

2 Likes

Well, here at KPNS (Pensacola FL Area) ALL of the bridges are missing spans or just missing. They do not have water on top of them, they show above the water and simp;ly just missing spans. A great annoyance for 2 years nowā€¦ But I understand, Missing Bridge Spans are FAR FAR down the line for bug fixesā€¦ O wellā€¦ makes the entire area just a bit messed up.
And, as usual, We still really love our MSFS !

Everybody wants MSFS to be as real world as possible. It is , it takes Microsoft / Asobo about the same time to fix problems as aircraft maintenance companies :rofl: All part of flying !!

Didnā€™t realize that! Most of South Florida looks like a disaster zone without hand corrected water exclusions.

Iā€™ll take a look at Pensacola and see whatā€™s up. Might be that photogrammetry doesnā€™t work on long spans?

1 Like

Iā€™ve probably fixed a 1000+ bridges in MSFS and havenā€™t encountered that.

Overall, the area isnā€™t too bad compared to the South East. Iā€™ll see if I can fish out the bridge spans from the base sim. My Blender skills arenā€™t that great.

2 Likes

Hi, being new to MSFS I am overall very happy with the product so far but also disappointed at the list of bugs & issues two and a half years on from release. I have read through the bug forum, have researched old Q&As and gathered information from all over the internet about this Sim.

It seems to me that VR is still in beta, there are far too many issues & bugs to call this section ā€œrelease readyā€, I wish the developers would see this but according to the Q&As Iā€™ve watched they donā€™t seem to notice. I bought a fully working product, but VR is far from that in my opinion, the ATC is also not very good.

I used to work in software development and my team always worked hard to fix as many bugs as possible, especially new bugs, with MSFS it seems the opposite so I hope the developers work on that.

Thank You.

3 Likes

I may be jumping the gun a bit, but my last 4 flights have been free of that bug.

If you take a look at the ā€œwhy is oldies are less criticalā€ thread. You will find some interesting views regarding bugs and how we should maybe regard themā€‹:scream::scream::scream:

1 Like

Thank you very much for the replyā€¦ Much appreciated.
Iā€™ll take a look at more of the south eastern FLā€¦
Thank you

1 Like

I get the same impression ! Probably ā€œRevenue Streamā€ demands more of a priority.

2 Likes

I am certain that there are people who are more than happy with what we have but my word there are an awful amount who, shall I be polite and say are less than impressed with this sim.

1 Like

DEFINITELY love MSFS , BUT, you are correct. There are a lot of us that are really ā€œhaving bad feelingsā€ about the way MS/Asobo goes about fixing known, irritating, long lasting, BUGS and scenery anomolies !
ā€¦
I, for one, have not and do not plan on any MS Marketplace purchases until they get most of those glaring bugs fixed. Without some of those fixes, the simulation leaves a lot to be desiredā€¦smile

3 Likes

Iā€™m mostly happy.

I see the limitations in the AI generation. What it does it amazing but it has issues that need to be hand crafted by scenery developers.

There are complex bugs and systems that need an overhaul, such as ATC, weather, etc. That I can understand.

What burns me up is so many little bugs or items of usability that could easily be addressed. It looks mostly like lack of attention to detail and not caring about the product. As as software engineer they look like things that should be easily addressable.

5 Likes

How many times do we see this sort of thing in all walks of life. The eagerness to get the cash moving gets in the way of producing a finished product. There are so many folks out there having issues with this sim that it could end up killing what is potentially the best flight simulator ever put before the general public.

2 Likes

As long as Asobo is not working it, iā€™ll be down to pay 3-500 dollars. I just want it to freaking work and be stable.

1 Like

Good Point ! I think that is exactly what they want people to do. Purchase the sim then move on to the Marketplace for the next several years. That keeps the revenue stream flowing.
But, the bottom line is that we all really love our MSFS !

1 Like

Iā€™ve also seen software products that donā€™t address the little bugs because the metrics show so few people are impacted.

The problem is that after a large number of these accumulate, nearly everyone has something they are bothered by.

4 Likes

This world driven by metrics is ruining everything.

What happened to pride of workmanship? I look at the sim nearly every day, if I was the coder in charge of the World Map, or the Controls Options, or the ATC window, etc. Iā€™d be totally going after the dumb things those modules do that just need to be fixed already. Iā€™m not talking about major redesigns or some other massive thing, Iā€™m talking about:

ā€¢ World Map ā€” filter settings persist between sim sessions, the map not shifting a few pixels to the right when a gate/parking node is clicked

ā€¢ Controls Options ā€” eliminate the superfluous SWAP COM1 entry, fix the odd display behaviors with the collapsible categories, fix the show Assigned, New, Essentials, All function to stop misbehaving

ā€¢ ATC Window ā€” fix the annoying scroll to the top when the window is closed and reopened

Those are just off the top of my head, but there are so many more like this that you deal with every-single-time you interact with one of these elements in the sim.

If there is a faucet dripping in your house, do you just walk past it day after day after day and not try to shut it off and/or fix it?

8 Likes

Sorry, but this (recurring) complaint about specific bridges in one small part of the world is not even close to comparable to the deeper issues with core components of the sim, or even quality of life issues that impact every user.

As has been said before on this complaint, itā€™s an unrealistic expectation in a sub $100 consumer simulator, and MS is still making an effort to fix many bridges.

My house in the sim doesnā€™t look anything like my house either. I donā€™t bring that up every time people want to talk about sim improvements.

4 Likes