Is TrackIR worth it?

I think I’m going to buy it - and there’s one very specific reason that comes to mind. At the moment I fly the TBM exclusively, and I’ve managed to find a camera view that is just right for seeing outside, and taking in enough of the instrument panel (the buttons of the PFD are just at the bottom of my screen). However, I’ve been itching to move to the CJ4 given all the hard work that has gone into it by the WT team, and no matter how hard I try, I cannot find a camera angle that allows me to see outside and enough of the instrument panel all at the same time. I’m constantly hitting the POV switch up down up down, drives me mad. Perhaps TrackIR can help here.

1 Like

If you consider how much time you spend in flight sims and assume you will use TrackIR frequently whilst doing so in the future the initial cost seems less significant. I take a very simple view of PC hardware/peripherals with regards to the investment and expected use and compare that expense loosely to the cost of buying a movie on Blu-ray. If I assume a blu-ray movie will cost me £15 and be 3 hours long the perceived “entertainment value” is £5/hour but likely less once I have watched the movie again in the future.

It is crude, but when I consider the cost of my TrackIR and the number of hours I used it for the value would be extremely good, we would be taking pennies per hour. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Aside from everything mentioned, I like that to look over the coaming, all you have to do is sit up the way you would naturally. Or if you lean to the side and down, you can look in the direction of the co-pilot’s pedals, as if you were looking to see where you dropped your IPhone. It adds a lot since your view is not just rotating around some central index point. It feels like you’re “there.”

2 Likes

Hello,
Questions or discussion about TrackIR go in the Peripherals category. I have moved your topic there.

I own the TrackIR 5 and their TrackClip Pro. I won’t fly without it.

I also own an HP Reverb G2 VR headset, but prefer TrackIR and my OLED TV instead.

I feel the same exact way.

I have it and have not used it in nearly a year. Do not really like sitting in a chair for hours with a hat on my head dripping sweat. The pro clip price is a bit steep though.

I bought my TrackIR 5 and TrackClip pro in 2010. Before that, I owned a TIR 4. Gave it to my nephew, it’s still in use.

1 Like

I bought a TrackIR for FS2020 as soon as it was launched. It’s a fantastic piece of technology and works brilliantly. A couple of observations from my experience:

1. I find the passive hat clip far more precise and stable than the active device. It’s also lighter and you do not have battery issues. Just be sure that the TrackIR device on top of the monitor is not pointing at any bright light source such as a window.
  2. Remember you can always tap the F12 key any time to reset the “center” position once you are comfortable in your ideal flying position.

I, like you, use 2 monitors and the TrackIR makes your primary monitor so much more “usable”. That said, if flying IFR which is not very often, I turn TrackIR off.

1 Like

Trackclip Pro connects to USB.

The hat clip does not work for people who wear glasses because of the reflections.

I wear glasses and have no problems with the passive clip…

3 Likes

I have used TrackIR for many years now. Same unit. I worry that it might wear out but have probably gotten more than my money’s worth from it. In addition to the positives mentioned above, I am 78 years old now and it is easy to adjust for the differential in my necks turning radius which is a big plus. Another plus is probably that I’m not as apt to fall out of my chair as I would be using VR!

1 Like

Same here kind of, I got the IR4 back when it came out. It sat in a box for many years in a hot garage and works great still today… I’ve thought about buying the newer one with the clip for the headphones instead of the hat but I think I’ll wait until this one goes kaput, if ever it goes kaput. :sweat_smile:

I am a fan of TrackIr as I have so many controls and an auxiliary screen. I can not imagine flying my rig with VR.

There’s pros and cons to both. Using your phone you don’t have to sit there with a hat or headphones on as you would have to with TrackIR. With your phone you could just plug the charger in and not have to worry about the battery draining.

IMHO I don’t think having to wear a headset is much of a con (it can actually be seen as pretty normal when gaming). Personally my monitors don’t even have speakers so I have no choice but to use a headset. It’s not something that has ever bothered me the past 5+ years. Would be curious to hear why one might see them as being bothersome. I have pretty comfortable headsets and I forget that the TrackIR clip is there.

I don’t use a headset, I have standalone speakers so for me it would be something extra to wear. Someone else mentioned earlier in the post that they have TrackIR and hasn’t used it for nearly a year as they didn’t like having to wear a cap. It’s personal preference I guess and people will have their own opinions depending on their own setup. If you already use a headset anyway then I can see why it would t be an issue.

Oh the hat thing I can totally see as being annoying, haha. It’s also not as reliable as the IR clip you put on your headset. I have the hat clip too but I’ve never used it. If one is to get TrackIR I do strongly recommended picking up the headset clip. When someone inquires about TrackIR and I recommended them getting the clip for their headset I don’t see many saying “I don’t have a headset (or use it much)”. You’re right though, in the end it’s all personal preference.

I use a hair band.

6 Likes

These are the headsets I use for TrackIR, I’ve also included the hat clip in this photo (don’t have a hat to show what it looks like, sorry). Only thing that bothers me is that I can’t use the headset clip with my Turtle Beach headsets as the band is too thick so I just use some cheap ones (that are actually pretty good for their cost).