Issue with C172 on ground after SU15 Beta

You need a lot of airflow to turn significantly with rudders. But if your plane is too fast it will be unstable. Temporarily crank up the RPM for the the turn, then reduce back for slow taxi speed.

2 Likes

I have a lot of hours in 172s and we purposefully idle at 1000RPM. If you’re stopped, you won’t move much at 1000 unless you’re getting a push by wind or gravity (downhill), and it’s also dependent on weight and even how long the aircraft has been sitting (tires get flat spots when parked long enough).

Thus, you need quite a bit more power to break away.

As far as the steering - turning into the wind should be easier than away, but the 172 has a fairly limited angle on the nosewheel (and it’s just linked by bungee), so when you’re just starting moving or going really slowly, differential braking is often needed to get the nosewheel to turn.

3 Likes

thanks everyone. the plane moves about 1200 rpm. The speed does not measure on the dials, i guess I have been too used to the old taxi metrics. eg - easy setting

2 Likes

The airspeed indicator in the game’s C172 doesn’t come alive until close to 40 knots. You’re taxiing way too fast if you’re taxiing at a speed that registers on the airspeed indicator. Pre SU15, it took too much rpm to break away in the game, then the aircraft would roll too quickly and long with the power at idle.

As has been said, 1000 rpm is a good nominal rpm in a real C172 for when sitting stationary with the brakes on. It ensures adequate engine cooling, while also serving to warm the oil on a cool day. Beyond that, you sometimes need a bit of breakaway thrust to get moving, but once you’re rolling, maintaining 1000 rpm will have you taxiing too fast (or riding the brakes). Once rolling, 800 rpm is a good rpm for taxiing, but you’ll still want to pull it back to idle when maneuvering to save the brakes (adding power, up elevator and differential braking for tight turns). And you’ll want to set it back up to 1000 once stopped.

(Caveat: I fly out of an airport that’s fairly close to sea level. I don’t know how much the above changes when operating out of higher elevation places like Vail, or Denver, or Big Bear City.)

2 Likes

With taxiing in C172_AS1000 yes in beta it is more sticky and with friction scalar it is do able with C172sp-Classic to
But the annoying thing i find is it is once taxiing that it is constantly increasing speed.
So i added nosewheel steering to the twist on the twist grip of the flightstick and activated it by adapt the flight_model.cfg.
On the flightstick slider i assigned left and right brake and edit the systems.cfg and set toebrake from 0.66 to 0.46
Also i did on my throttle quadrant a rudder assigned to a handle for i have no rudder pedals on this pc
The thing i try to achive here is to a combination of tools on my periphal devices to get control able taxi speed
With some pressure through the slider left and right brake and use the mixture to control the power setting and throttle to apply power for increase or decrease speed when neccesary

Here are some pictures of devices and control and sensitvity settings

Not seeing any issues like this with any version of the 172 in Su15 beta.
I just use a T16000 with one button mapped to brake which I quick tap a few times along with modulating the throttle to get rolling and maintain a controllable speed.

Taxi speed is not like a simrace, it should be slow(ish) and totally controllable.
Just manage the speed correctly and keep it in control.

The new ground handling parameters cause a regression with differential braking. This is not aircraft specific, easily reproduced when parameters copied to other aircraft too.
See the topic here:

@moderators FYI - several separate topics revolving the ground handling issues when using the new parameters. It’s not clear if all get the same exposure… nor tagged as feedback/bug logged

4 Likes

Hi @MarinaraTrain42,

The Beta topics are all read by MS/Asobo (except for categories where it is stated that they are not monitored). They will be aware of these issues whether the topic has been tagged or not :slight_smile:

Cheers

3 Likes

Thanks, that’s assuring to know this is being monitored. What I personally still find missing is any form feedback on these topics. That’s a key ingredient to an effective communication with the community. Any feedback will improve trust and motivate the community to contribute further to a successful beta.

1 Like

Agreed, but IMO most Devs & PMs are probably too busy working on features on the Wishlist, resolving bugs and getting 2024 ready for release. They might not have much - if any - free time to provide lengthy responses.

A possible solution - if technically feasible with this forums software configuration - would be to have two types of “likes”: the public (pink) like we have today, and a new “green” like that is restricted to MS/AS employees. Then as they read the comments we make, if it helps them, they give it a “green” like. Quick to do for them, & positive feedback for us.

2 Likes

That’s a neat idea indeed, got my “like” :slight_smile:
Obviously, devs don’t have time to response, nor they ever directly communicate here with us. But as it does happen, we got at least the tags of feedback/bug logged, and from time to time, moderators do pass messages from the development teams on specific issues and topics. As initially stated, any form of feedback is needed and welcome.