Issue with C172 on ground after SU15 Beta

Hi, everybody,

I’m having very difficult handling with the Cessna 172 on the ground after the SU15 Beta (every SU15 update, not just the last one).

It happens especially in the turns. The aircraft tilts a lot, even at low speed on the taxiway or runway. It leans so much that she eventually tips over!

I have tried to adjust the sensitivity of the controls, but the problem remains the same.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Thanks in advance and regards.

What are your weather settings? Any crosswinds in play? Any 3rd party liveries installed?

I use live weather and in every occasion is different. I tested with the community folder empty and the issue persists.

I’m turning the C172 as I have done since I had the first ms flight simulator in 1987 and this had never happened to me before.

I usually go max 20 miles per hour or so. The plane sometimes capsizes.

I knew that asobo had made changes and that the differential brakes had to be used more, but it still seems like an exaggeration to me.

What surprises me the most is that changes in the sensitivity of the controls do not seem to affect the behaviour of the aircraft (I use Thrustmaster 16,000 with pedals).

Thank you for your help.

1 Like

have to say i have also had this issue with the beta - one wing dips, feels likes it goes onto front wheel and down side wheel, then plane flips over. It seems far to easy to do - and it maybe that I am just really bad at take offs, but i am not that bad! It can be a light breeze or a some reasonable crosswinds. I am not flooring it, i use TM pedals - and i dont see it in other planes (current favourite A2A)

3 Likes

Moved to Beta Discussion

1 Like

I believe they made changes to the tire friction in SU15 so i’m guessing this is what you are encountering. Maybe they took it too far?
I think SU15 is still in beta so this would be an excellent time to report this kind of thing. So they can rectify it for the final release.

1 Like

Hmmm, ok. Maybe try slower turns while taxiing until you get used to the new way Asobo has the landing gear flexing? 20 mph may be too fast in turns. I think Asobo did a great job with this so we may need to relearn how to taxi the C172?

2 Likes

Thank you, mhmaliniak!

We’ll wait for the final update. In the meantime I can use the other planes (no problem whatsoever, it is just dthe C172).

Regards.

1 Like

Hi, again,

This change in the turning of the C172 in the MSFS 2020 could be verified by a real pilot.

Is there anyone who can shed light on this topic?

Greetings

1 Like

I am a licensed private pilot with an instrument rating. While it has been decades since I have flown IRL, I do have a LOT of time in C172s a long time ago. The few flights I have in the C172 in SU15 have all been delightful. The Skyhawk feels very natural and realistic to me both on the ground and in the air. Of course, if anyone out there who is current has feedback for the devs, by all means chime in. And for those of you who are only sim pilots, your input is very important too! I think Asobo is on the right track with ground handling and it is refreshing to see things other than glass cockpits being addressed in GA aircraft.

4 Likes

Hi

I ask Copilot (ironic) in Edge

Normal Taxi Speed: During taxiing on the ground, the typical speed for a Cessna 172 is around 10 to 20 knots (approximately 11.5 to 23 miles per hour). This speed allows for safe maneuvering on taxiways and ramps without excessive wear on brakes or engine components1.
Maximum Taxi Speed: The maximum recommended taxi speed is usually 20 knots (about 23 miles per hour). This speed ensures controlled movement while avoiding excessive stress on the landing gear and tires. It’s essential to maintain proper control during turns and avoid abrupt stops1.

2 Likes

I’m going to pay more attention to ground handling in both the C172 and the retractable landing gear aircraft, as there is a change there in the release notes in the current beta release, and I encourage others to do so as well. The flexible gear is new and so may need tuning by Asobo so your input is important to Asobo as you get used to the new feel while taxiing. Suggest paying attention also to crosswinds while taxiing and including those in your reports as well as taxi speed, so the devs are aware of what conditions cause unexpected outcomes, like the aircraft tipping, etc.

Thank you, Nikita.
Very illustrative!
Regards.

1 Like

Thank you, mhmaliniak!
I appreciate your information very much!
Regards.

1 Like

I too have noticed this in the 172. Even with a slight wind, landing feels more difficult. As soon as I land and try to use the even just a little bit of rudder to stay on the runway, the aircraft lifts up off one of the rear tires. I never had any landings like that in SU14. Now every landing im fighting to keep all tires down until I slow down enough

3 Likes

Ok so I am going to share a guilty flight planning secret! I tend to plan most of my flights in such a way that the departure and arrival runways are closely aligned with the prevailing winds. I do this because crosswinds remain problematic in MSFS when taking off and landing. For that reason, others may be finding this has some additive effect with the new flexible landing gear, which would be important for the devs to know about. If you can, please report any crosswind component in any way you can. Could be as simple as a quartering crosswind from the left, or something more detailed like winds were 270 at 15 knots landing on runway 30. Whatever you can capture as data would be invaluable to help them understand this new interaction!

2 Likes

I’ve been flying the 172 G1000 quite a bit and really like the new ground handling.

The only time it started tipping over on me was trying to make a runway exit going way to fast so my bad. Nice that mishandling does get punished.

Other than that it’s been great.

5 Likes

It sounds a lot like you’re wheelbarrowing. A couple questions that could help qualify the issue:

• At what speed are you touching down?
  • Are you using full flaps?
  • Where is the wind relative to the runway and what speed?
  • Are you using crosswind controls during the rollout?
2 Likes

Hi

So i have spent about an hour in the plane (g1000 172) trying to taxi around and seeing what I am doing wrong.
I am not sure what is going on - (this is with no mods, empty community)
It takes a lot of power to get the plane to move (1000 rpm).
But with too little power it grinds to a halt, needs about 1200 rpm.
Speed does not register, but i would estimate about 5 to 10 mph. Full deflection on the rudder/pedals results in a very poor turning circle.

It does not seem right to me at all. Its either too sticky - or the turning on the wheel is to small. I am using thrustmaster pendulum pedals (or whatever they are called).
I am not a pilot, i have over 1200 hours in the sim flying so i am not exactly new and always happy to learn. But it seems weird to me.

1 Like

1000 rpm is what we use for engine instruments checks. That is not a throttle setting suitable for taxiing most of the time. From my real world experience you need at least 1200rpm to get moving.

Also in the real world I would not taxi anywhere close to 20kts. Cross wind controls (ailerons into the wind) are super important the faster you go. I usually only use a lot of rudder when I’m slow, then temporarily add a lot of RPM for a quick turn, combined with some breaking as necessary.

Breaks are very responsive, you have to go easy on them.

I can’t remember using any rudder when landing once touched dow - I mostly use the breaks to exit the runway and use rudder once I’m at taxi speed. But again - pay attention to crosswind controls the moment you are on the ground (that doesn’t mean rudder).

2 Likes