Issues experiencing using the RealSimGear GNS530 in MSFS 2020 since the SU9 upgrade

I have downloaded and installed the RealSimGear_FSX-P3D-MSFS_Installer-1.6.2.1, prior to that removing the Realsimgear directory from the Community folder.

The issues that I am currently experiencing are as follows:

1. On start up the GNS 530 does not go through initialize process and goes straight to map view .
  2. The range zoom buttons are not working correctly. i.e., when I press either direction, nothing happens, or when I press a couple of times, the zoom goes from one extreme to the other. When select zoom on the traffic page, the zoom works as intended.
  3. Select the OBS button, OBS is displaying direction of 000Ëš, but no direction is displayed on map view.
  4. Selecting a flight plan from the flight plan catalogue page works as expected, but when going back to the active flight plan page it is not displayed.
  5. Unable to switch radio frequencies or nav frequencies.

Is anyone else experiencing the same issues?

@GhostlyFrend - I’m pretty sure you have one of these, right? Perhaps you could give this poor person some advice.

Hi there,
Welcome to the forums! We generally ask that people ask for help in Community Support instead of General Discussion. I have moved your post to Community Support > Hardware and Peripherals.

Good day. And indeed I own this device.

The MSFS base implementation of the GNS is pretty basic. When you start the C172 steam cold and dark, and toggle avionics, there’s no startup cycle in the cockpit as well. The GNS only works as a display that shows the popped out GNS, so exactly what is happening in the sim itself. The device doesn’t have any logic in itself. Hence they call it a bezel. It’sa display with a set of buttons and dials that operate the functions. Maybe the PMS mod (that I still need to try, it’s free, adds more functionality, like a startup cycle).

Zoom on the map page works for me, in steps. When you have the device interface app open, do you see the right commands being triggered? Does the zoom button in the sim work as expected?

The functions OBS and Flight Plan catalogue I haven’t used. I always upload a plan from LNM, and use the FPL menu to invert twice to get rid of the silly MSFS waypoints.

Do these functions work directly in the sim?

Switching frequencies works for me. Do you see the commands being triggered in the device manager? Do these work in the sim itself? Do you know of any mods that could interfere?

Updating to latest PMS mod has resolved my issue.

Thank you for your advice GhostlyFrend

1 Like

While we’re on the topic, has anyone been able to get the long press of the CLR button in the RSG GNS530 hardware to trigger the GNS530 to revert to the default NAV screen? I note from RSG’s customer support web page that long press of the CLR button isn’t currently supported but they’re working on it. Timelines for those sorts of fixes always seem to be “Soon™”, so I am not holding my breath.

I bet I could get it to work though if I knew the simconnect event (or LVAR) to trigger switching the GNS530 to display the default NAV in response to the CLR button long press. Has anyone managed it?

It’s HVar “H:AS530_CLR_Push_Long” for me. AAO simply lets you bind the variable directly to button without scripting. Works for both stock and mod.

Thanks, but I’ve only got Spad.next. I don’t think it has support for HVARs. I’m also tired of hacking around with esoteric 3rd party packages to make stuff work but if I can find a way to do it directly in Spad.next using LVARs or simconnect events, then I’ll spend a bit of time on it. Otherwise I will just wait for Godot RSG’s fix.

It does sound like it does have support: L:Vars and H:Events - SPAD.neXt (spadnext.com)

Can’t help you more on that since I only used Spad.next briefly to trial it against AAO.

Ok. I didn’t see that result in my Google search. Thanks for the link. I will have a look. Maybe I can get it to work.

Thanks again for the link. I was able to find the H:Events in Spad.next and I was able to get all buttons on the RealSimGear GNS530 to work using Spad. I still need to play around with how I implemented the short and long press for the CLR button (they work but I’m not totally happy with it), but I will do that another day.

How do you wanti it to work?

Spad.next doesn’t seem to recognize a long press or a press and hold of the RSG GNS530 buttons. When I was hacking around with it, it only seemed to detect the button down and button up.

So what I did was store the button down time on the button down event. I then have it send AS530_CLR_Push when the button up comes less than a second after button down, and I have it send AS530_CLR_Push_Long when the button up comes more than a second after button down. It works, but you have to lift your finger off the CLR button after holding it before the GNS530 returns to the default NAV screen. That is a bit different than how it works when you press and hold the CLR button with the mouse. I can get used to it, but my OCD makes me want to hack around with it some more to see if I can make it “just so”.

ok Iknow what you are talking of, it will be solved in next update (looks it will be very soon)

if you need it now you need a little scripting, the device sends only button_press and button_release events, you can initialiaze a local variable with current time on button press, the add a condition to two button_release events if it is less then 1 sec. execute action A if >= action B