Italian Alps are stunning

They quite match how Bob Ross saw and painted them! :laughing:

2 Likes

Good point. I thought the Alps looked a bit too snowy recently but was aware there had been some late snow. However, late snow melts more quickly in warm spring sunshine. Maybe that wasn’t programmed-in.

The snow problem stems from partial winter textures and the awful live weather snow coverage.
Also there are large areas with no Bing textures at all. And those awful default replacement textures simply don’t cut it. There are not even autogen trees on them.

1 Like

The quality of the terrain mesh and satellite imagery is rather inconsistent. There are areas where it looks great and areas where it looks terrible.

1 Like

In that case I will look forward to seeing the areas where it does look great.

1 Like

For me they are rare chance encounters around the globe. I can’t really name specific areas.

By the way, what is that mountain in the banner at the top of this forum? Mount Everest? If so, does anyone’s actually look like that in the sim? Last I visited mount Everest it was lame.

I think it is Everest.

Why the surprise?

There are some bugs that haven’t been fixed in two years let alone two months; AI traffic behaviour for one.

2 Likes

I think you’re selling me on my idea of flying the 310 around the new NZ Mount Cook scenery! That picture you took just looks too good!

Just go ahead. You won‘t regret this :slight_smile:

1 Like

oft Sry but not Everest.

1 Like

No you are right, it is not. I had a look on Google maps and it doesnt quite match up. Is it Makalu perhaps?

2 Likes

The ground textures around Everest looked good but I swear the mountain used to look better in earlier versions of the sim. In newer versions I got some ugly terrain morphing going on. Raising the TLOD value doesn’t seem to fix it.

As far as the Alps, I have yet to visit since WU9, so I need to do that.

Those are some great pictures! Can’t wait to do some NZ exploring in the 310, which I’ve got the mouse hovering over “buy”.

oft:

no, it looks to me also not Makalu, the dark one. From my first imagination, it seemed to me like NE face of Dhaulagiri or Gasherbrum IV but really I don’t know now, it’s somehow very known to me in my head but really don’t know :slight_smile: It is simply some peak in Alps probably.

1 Like

Yep, that looks like a possible match.

@ CBCDES

:slight_smile:

sry oft: and this? :smiley:

It’s probably peak in Alps. I have here that NE Dhaulagiri but definitely no Himalayas peak I think.

That pics from Alps looking very nice, also from aircraft like C310 :slight_smile:

1 Like

We need a climber to tell us I think!

1 Like

some looks awesome and some looks very bad

some examples: annapurna’s peaks are excellent while k2 is awful, nanga parbat awful while kanchenjunga looks good, everst okay lothse bad

same for italian alps where some of them are okay and some others are very bad

probably depends on satellite images but the difference from one to another are sometimes huge

edit: one thing i noticed is how snow condition kills textures and so the overall quality of mountains, it’s waaay better without snow. You can see crevasses, features of any sort and such without snow while whit live weather/snow set condition you lost a lot of details

Thank you for the comparison!

1 Like