January 12, 2023 Development Update Discussion

So your suggestion would be to people stop getting ill and to not get on holidays and to not get things working first when coming back to work but instead start a roadmap right away? :wink:

Nobody suggested such inappropriate things
why would you say this?

Are you a represetnative of the developer? How do you know these things?

As a constructive suggestion having a mini-feature of one aspect of the upcoming AAU would have been interesting for those of us like myself who aren’t a beta tester.

Please don’t say the “wink” emoji makes it ok.

True - it’s a bit of sarcasm by my side cause of the annoyance seeing people complain about a blog not being filled despite there are more important things devs/QAs (from which the information asked for has to come) have to work on right now instead of questioning “why” that may happen on their own. Hence the wink.

No, I’m not a represetnative developer, just a senior QA and test manager full time in all different international projects. Nothing to really worry about but that’s what give me a glimpse of what may be going on at Asobo this time.

Well, you can look into the current changelogs of the betas to get the glimpse at least about the planned features. However, yes, some easy to read through dev update would be nice to have I agree. Something like that also happened in before in combination with the release date, so maybe that’s the plan anyway.

I work in your same field and I’d say that while I agree overall, just saying “here a quick straightforward update as to why we don’t have a development blog or roadmap when we said we would” (Jan 5 was the original return date) would be much better than just continuing to say “later.” It’s far, far from the end of the world, but giving an honest update rather than a vague one takes nearly the same amount of effort. This is where we discuss the development update, so I think it’s a fair point to make though it may come across as lack of understanding or patience. It’s just constructive feedback of the last two updates.

5 Likes

Will Flight Sim show at the upcoming Xbox Showcase on Jan 25?

1 Like

Unlikely, as Flight Sim released two and a half years ago. I think the goal is to showcase upcoming games.

“Absolutely nothing happens”. Ok buddy.

If you refer to the whole sim I agree that there are still several areas that needs improvement (AI, ATC, etc.). When you talk about the upcoming AAU’s, you’re mainly talking about airplanes specifically, i.e., door animations, etc.

Performance still needs improvement! That should be the main focus.

PG and melted buildings I have 500mbs internet so it’s not an internet issue.

2 Likes

You may have 500mbs connection to the internet, but how fast is your connection to the MSFS servers? How loaded are they? I suspect that the bottleneck is unlikely to be at your end of the chain.

Agree with those who say these updates are getting kinda pointless.

Big question for me: what are the plans for the new planes that came with the 40th anniversary edition? MS must have included some kind of post-launch support as part of their deals with the 3rd party devs? Take the Bell 407 for instance, there is so much stuff that needs fixing that isn‘t even directly related to the flight model. Has the DC3 been receiving any updates? The list goes on.

4 Likes

Take a look at the official feedback forums, at least ini and Bluemesh are active there and answered such questions. They basically provide the package to MS and they seems to collect these and release them in one go.

Yes, this release seems to be a bit rushed. I’m pretty sure Nemeth already is working on some update. All 3rd parties are asked to work on all aircraft in that pack like it’s a regular payware with regular fixes and regular support from my knowledge.

No. But tbh. as it’s Aeroplane Heaven we talk about here the guy behind that is a bit difficult to handle. He doesn’t seem to be open to feedback, especially when feedback was provided by Xbox users. He basically says on Facebook it’s the fault of MS to forcing this stuff to be pushed there and he was against that - so yeah, we’ll see whatever MS (not Asobo) will do against that.

3 Likes

Good to know how do I check this? What is a procedure if I do have a bottleneck?

Thanks appreciate your response

Use the Sherlock Holmes approach. Eliminate all the other possibilities and what you have left is the culprit.

At the same time your connection is lost, run a few speedtests and pings to check your computer’s connectivity at that moment.

That only leaves the two endpoints as suspects: MSFS itself, or the servers it is connecting to.

1 Like

If you have a VPN use it and select Seattle as your US connection point. I have a 380Mb connection and all I ever got was 50-70 Mb download. When I started using the VPN it moved up to 280Mb download.

2 Likes

We haven’t had a meaningful dev update in close to a year now. These aren’t dev updates. They’re marketplace updates with a few side comments about the sim. The only concrete information they really show is the shiny new things in the marketplace that week and how much shiny new stuff for the marketplace is in the pipeline.

There is no information of value here any more.

EDIT:

And you can tell by the rather short discussions about it. Weekly Dev Update discussion threads used to have pages and pages of comments discussing the dev points and asking questions. Now, it’s like 30-ish comments, with several of them being about the lack of information in the dev update. That kind of speaks volumes.

7 Likes

This is because they do the Q&A’s now. You can find them on the Official MSFS Twitch Channel.

They’ve done Q&As since sim launch. That’s not a new thing. They used to do those far more frequently as well about every 2 months on average. We get far fewer of those now too.

2 Likes

How can I contribute to the Q&A?
There are serious issues with the Xbox / xCloud version of the game for months already (most introduced after the buggy anniversary update).

I don’t want to hear they keep talking about adding more and more useless stuff (half of them paid DLCs) while there are high priority bugs they are completely ignoring.

1 Like

Good to know any recommendations for a good VPN?

Hi @ArcherAC3
Generally when they announce an upcoming Q&A they’ll open a thread to submit questions for the MS/Asobo team members to answer. Obviously not all of the questions make it into the stream, but you can submit one (or more) questions when they open the thread.
Regards

2 Likes