January 12, 2023 Development Update Discussion

Check out the latest Development Update here:

Please use this thread for feedback and discussion. Thank you!

7 Likes

I see the Market Place update in the Blog listing the new add-ons, however the link in the text goes to a Dec 8, 2022 link of the Market Place update in table form. Is the table no longer being updated?

MARKETPLACE UPDATE

Click here for the web-friendly version of the Marketplace Update.

These development updates are getting shorter and shorter…this wasn’t much more then the December “we’re on break”.

Hopeful that they will be more nutritious in the upcoming weeks.

10 Likes

Loving the HJet liveries! Outside if that, there ain’t much though.

Was hoping for //42’s Cabri Liveries and Flow…

I keep hearing PMDG talk about how they’re gonna eventually push their 737 to the marketplace…are they stalling for time so they can get the -900 in there too, or are they legitimately waiting for MS to process their submission?

Neither. Their planes won’t be XBOX compatible until the next System Update at the soonest. I think that update is scheduled to come in March.

6 Likes

@anyone who owns the MilvizC310r
The Milviz C310 was updated yesterday the 12th Jan. Where can one find out exactly what the update did and what it addressed ?
There are no details on their website.

Developer updates are getting weaker and weaker. We get meaningless information. I don’t see a schedule or details. Absolutely nothing happens. Everything has been standing still for two months.

There are problems with helicopters. There are a lot of gaps. Third-party developers said they reported the bugs to the Asoobo team multiple times. We have not received any improvements or repairs for the helicopters for two months. This is normal?

13 Likes

So your suggestion would be to people stop getting ill and to not get on holidays and to not get things working first when coming back to work but instead start a roadmap right away? :wink:

• Problems on something fresh out of the box first have to be collected and analyzed before someone can make an estimation. Helicopters basically released right before holiday season. I guess there are now hundreds of reports to be checked and organized first on this single topic alone
  • Third party spokesmen (I avoid calling some developers as they don’t actively develop…) always point to others to shift focus from their workarounds not working anymore. Some use clearly some non-standard things which somehow break while default aircraft keep on working without changes :wink: but why should one say “yeah, that’s a workaround we did to do that because reasons…” if instead you can just say “Asobo did break that with their update!”?

Yes it is, we also don’t talk early to customers whenever we have to organize ourselves first when people are back in office. If you want a fancy roadmap to be the first thing of all you don’t have to wonder about nothing being done in time.

2 Likes

Very smart post. It doesn’t change the facts.

2 Likes

For the upcoming AAU’s in 2023, please consider adding the door animations to all the models involved, this is to me, a missing feature still present in the sim after more than two years (except the TBM)

4 Likes

I think that what we are seeing is the MS marketing department taking over the development updates. Seems like a marketing approach to me.

4 Likes

I mean, it isn’t reasonable to think everything would be fixed over the holidays, but asking why we aren’t getting a substantive development update like before is perfectly reasonable.

3 Likes

I’m hoping SU12 will bring us joy

2 Likes

If it would be even phrased like a question it would be just fine with me, but I didn’t see actually a question like “Is there a particular reason why we did not receive a full scale dev update yet?” - instead it feels more like rant time again for the most unimportant reason possible on such a project: the weekly blog entry :wink:

In fact the last days I saw many bug reports getting updated/logged or cleaned up which I personally appreciate most.

2 Likes

So the bugs that were introduced before Christmas, might be fixed in 3 months. Cool.

3 Likes

(EDIT: I got gotten here. I saw a photoshopped joke addon and thought it was real :laughing: - NOT refering to Adi’s addon, though it’s not my cup of tea it’s not a meme addon) I would love to hear what “a later development update” means when talking about the development roadmap, or at least some assurance that this is a temporary thing due to staffing issues or something. It’s good to hear the World Update and Sim Update are still slated for the coming months though!

6 Likes

If it’s about confirmed issues, which are reproducible by the team they got several ways to fix bugs outside of an SU. In first place (as being an update and not a patch) SUs are intended to bring new or reworked features, not just bug fixes.

They can fix stuff:

• by hotfixes like they happened after SU7
  • by server side updates like they randomly happened already
  • with AAU1
  • with WUs, when it’s about scenery related stuff (as it has been restricted to this)

It’s not hard to actually answer that:

• It’s not Asobo, it’s Microsoft which takes care about Market Place releases
  • There are actually people interested in stuff like this. Some 12y olds on their Xboxs may enjoy these things, even if it’s a no go for real simmers (as FS is intended for everyone that’s just fine).
  • The more simple a piece of software is the less testing is needed. They likely have some automated tests running for stuff to be released on the Market Place. If these tests just pass it’s more easy to release it. If it’s a complex airliner some tests may fail due to complexity and a QA has to check on why it failed and has to test it manually again in more detail, speak to the developer and play ping-pong. The Cirrus Jet is also a good example - their updates seem well documented and the systems are straight forward so it gets some weekly update when submitted in time :wink: (last week was too late it seems). These guys really don’t complain about the cycles.

CW1 to CW3 in January, as AAU1 was set to release this month.
A date was likely not set intentionally because of the really big release of the 40th Anniversary Edition. Imho they likely did not want to commit on some specific date without having a look at the backlog after the team returned. In this case they also have to collect feedback on progress of all these new aircraft from different devs, test the changes they did and plan on when to release what (Like if some hotfix is needed on some things). Maybe they plan on including the 40th Anniversary Edition aircraft updates which are ready also in AAU1.

Anyway I can agree that it would be kind to include a rough note on the reasons like “Some of the teams members are still busy collecting all of your appreciated feedback. We will return with an update on this next week.” - However they may also deploy an “out of the line” NOTAM whenever the team feels comfortable with providing more details :wink:

2 Likes

Door animations? I can see that’s far more important than working ATC or live weather or force feedback or spawn at hold points or realistic airport traffic.

But not as vital as an inverted moon in the southern hemisphere.

To be fair, every improvement is a step forward but they still need to be prioritised.

11 Likes