[January 18, 2024]: Expert Series 1: ATR 42-600 / 72-600 v1.0.36

If i’m to guess, it probably depends on whether the pilot use reverse thrust at full power or not.

not over something like 70-80kts especially on the 42 they have steel brakes that wear and get hot much faster than carbon brakes on the 72. The second you are on the ground you can hear the roar of the reversers and you are pinned forward against the seat in front of you.

Dear Hans, I hope you read these forums, and I certainly hope you do continue on your work with the ATR, I see that you are going to be releasing a update…

Look, I enjoy flying this plane and all but, the actual enjoyment does get lost through all the bugs that are present with this aircraft and let’s address the main ones affecting me that I would love for you to fix…

The key/most important bug that needs to be addressed and that’s the lack of “reset” when landing and completing a flight for a turnaround flight/multiple legs/sectors…
This aircraft sole purpose is multiple short domestic flights that it does each and everyday of the week…

The real inconsistent and frustrating inability to be able to set the init poss, set various data in the fms perf page i.e air pressure and winds and the KEY one… being able to reset fuel/confirm the takeoff data…

When you first start a session…
All of that stuff is able to be set without any processes…
With each and every subsequent flight/leg…It seems to become one random frustrating experience to say the very least… Each and every flight , one work around works, next flight it’s a totally different work around !!!

The triggers are just so random

Sometimes it’s because the fuel pumps are on, sometimes you have to follow the “post/pre flight” checklist procedure, other times you can only do it in the FO screen, other times it’s closing the doors… Mate it is so completely random and this really needs to be fixed ASAP…
No questions about it…
It NEEDS to be addressed and fixed… Having to exit session, go back to same airport and load up the game… THAT is NOT a WORKAROUND!!!
You need… just like every single other major aircraft out there… (PMDG, Justflight FENIX) There needs to be ONE simple RESET TRIGGER for the ATR on LANDING, or be it ENGINE SHUTDOWN, DOORS OPENING… whatever… Or a actual tutorial on how to do a proper turnaround flight that allows you to perform all of the…fuel reset, init poss update, confirm takeoff, transalt updates etc etc…

Next biggest bugbear (pardon the pun…) and that is…

V-PF!!!

Why does this get stuck whenever you perform a RNP/LNAV-VNAV approach… And how does it then disappear three or four flights later… (as I’ve just discovered just now… for like three flights it would not go then next minute… it’s gone???) What is the trigger for that bug to be resolved… That should be part of a landing/engine shut down trigger for it to be cleared…

Single engine operations…

Watch any real world ATR operations and you will find many single engine operations… Why is this still an issue where single engine taxi is not a option?? Why is there such a massive pull to the respective engine when it should not be an issue… this one needs to be addressed…

Backtracking on various way points (predominantly SIDS)

This is another random one that happens more than enough for it to become a pain…Not every day but enough. Why are we still stuck in that “bygone” era when this is still a issue… Do a flight from 8R Budapest (this one that has happened twice now) when the plane would try go back to the previous way point… Just annoying

Squiggly lines on the PFD…

Do a SID (Navigraph) from Auckland 23L or any SID and STAR really, why do we still get these random inconsistent paths that seem to clear itself as the plane follows through… It’s a small but visually displeasing thing that (like a joiner leaving a scratch on a kitchen benchtop) it should be rectified how you have programed that and it should be fixed, purely in the sense of taking pride in your product not

Wheel “sinking ground” issue…

This one was a new bug as a result of the previous fix… This needs addressing ASAP.

Unable to perform step climbs and drop outs with VNAV on climb…

This one is a random one, on various turnarounds, the LNAV-VNAV/Autopilot drops out randomly during takeoff and when this happens, you lose the TOD indicator and it is unable to keep up with magenta “target” speed indicator on climb and when performing step climbs, it completely throws out the algorithms “as you were” or “puts a spanner in the works” in the brains behind the FMS and as a result, like above, unable to climb to set “magenta” speed and the TOD is lost…

This one is annoying one as well…

Gremlins in the FMS A Mika Hakkinen reference when he lead that infamous Spanish Grand Prix for the gearbox to. ■■■■ itself and Schumacher to win the GP, one of Mika’s last races

Why do inputs in the FMS sometimes cause various waypoints to be lost or sometimes, when setting the arrival STAR, literally the whole flight plan seems to shuffle like a pack of cards and random waypoints gets added into the FMS???
Like with above bug, FMS add ins during flight can alter everything and mucks up/deletes top of descent or loose various data in the flightplan…

Another bug (as I’m currently in my sixth turn around for Loganair…) is after doing a few legs, the checklist no longer recycles to “pre start up” and goes directly to take-off checklist???

STD bug
That’s another one that needs to be addressed

And… A recent one I’ve discovered…

Missed approaches…

The ability to copy a backup flight plan is great but is seems to like mentioned above regarding VNAV issues. The plane does not follow the climb out speed and drops speed and stalls and when on a alternative airport, all that TOD stuff and VNAV no longer works…

I want to love this plane/this product/this software…
But…
It’s like paying for a new kitchen and having these hairline scratches on the benchtop…
Not a massive issue on the global scheme but it’s like, we paid for this product that’s not quite there, we see it day in day out and your not really forthcoming with updates like various other developers are and your certainly not exactly PR material when it comes to talking/engaging to your customers…“us…” here on this supposed “official Asobo software” thread
Maybe employing a PR person to engage with us with queries and faults would be great… hey I’m for one, am not great public speaker by the long shot but “some are” “some aren’t’” but working in effectively this public industry it really helps to have someone whos able to engage with your customers

If these are all real world bugs that affect the ATR (those quirks that real world pilots talk about) then I guess the jokes really on us…

But in all failing that…
If not a legal obligation, you do have, I hope, a moral obligation to be providing us with something that works and especially when the exact same ATR was being developed by another company (milviz/Blackbird) and for that developer to “lose that license” (aka renaming the thread to “80 R 72”) if that was your doing, you do ow this tight-knit community a working product that was promised and I hope all of these bugs above are addressed, acknowledged and at leased worked on.

16 Likes

Very comprehensive list of current bugs, to which may I add:

• Different zoom levels of the terrain map and actual ND range on ND
  • Batteries drain behind the scenes if hotel mode isn’t engaged (all indications are good but even with GPU attached you cannot start engines or turn on radios adter 15 mins sitting on GPU alone9
  • As in the CRJ sometimes the LNAV starts going bonkers when flying towards the 360 HDG
  • The navdata without navigraph is bugged - try an approach into Mykonos and you’ll see that some of the points get placed on another part of the planet.

The plane is fantastic, but sadly the difficulty of flying it are not the systems but circumnavigating between bugs and inconsistencies. It’s so close to being fantastic but the bugs ruin it.

11 Likes

Let’s hope these will be fixed in MSFS 2024’s version of the ATR.

But having to buy a new sim for this is f***ing outrageous and the fact this aircraft hasn’t been fixed for over a year testifies as to a) Asobo’s and other deceloper’s approach to minuscule details instead of grandiose buyer-attracting projects and b) the level of fidelity expected by the majority of user base who simply do not care enough about multi leg flights for example

I still have hope that they will deliver a fix before 2024 comes out. But overall I agree to what has been stated before, the plane world be so much better and a true favorite if the bugs would get squished.

1 Like

If it had not already been released then sure take as much time as needed to get it right. Just don’t release it in the first place if it’s not ready. It’s just an excuse. Why do devs just assume everyone’s happy being testers.

2 Likes

why do you hope so much? this plane which is very far from an expert level will suffer in my opinion the same fate as the crj which is by the same author it is flooded with bugs. it is a shame that Milviz abandoned his project, this plane is not even up to the level of the Flight One ATR which was on FSX

3 Likes

It is hard to accept. But I think you are right.

1 Like

I’m wondering if the delays we have seen to the rumored upgrade/update to the ATR have been born from the rework of the Twin Otter taking priority for 2024’s release.

It’s a bit hard to work on two projects at once.

1 Like

To be quite honest though, I like flying it. I have to stomach the bugs, but I do. If the turnaround error was fixed it would be complete for me. Magnar from YT also seems to like it and he’s an ATR instructor professionally.

It might not be the PMDG level but it costs way less I need to remind you.

What is outrageous is that those small bugs remain unfixed for SO LONG

4 Likes

I feel similarly about the sim itself!

I, like you, really enjoy flying the ATR, too. I just do my best to overlook the shortcomings. What I like so much about the ATR is its unique systems and that it is not a jet. I have no other aircraft like it in my fleet.

5 Likes

Well the sad business reality is that grandiose big projects that can be announced with fanfares bring much more money than bug fixes. This is a bad approach in general, but especially deadly for flight simulation. This is what is killing DCS now.

3 Likes

If any put the profit above the quality, initially may result a good business, but at long term they will remain without profit and with a bad reputation.

2 Likes

Funny, part of me wondered the same thing when i picked up on Hans is doing the Twin Otter.

Couldn’t help but wonder what consequences this has for any ATR updates. Not to mention the nebulous but vaguely promised CRJ updates, that plane always seems to be waaaaaay down the list for some reason.

Let’s hope he’ll get around to things eventually…

1 Like

Are there any of his planes where people don’t regularly complain of intrusive bugs? (genuine question as I’d like to know)

1 Like

I have the ATR and we all have the various PC-6 he did.

The PC-6 still have bugs after all this time, too. They are far simpler than the ATR, they ought to have zero bugs, after all this time.

4 Likes

Can we put them on probation to the market place?

Hope next year the Majestic Dash 8 for MSFS 2024 will be launched. Also hope that I’m still on this world at this time.

2 Likes

so the developer Hans will be busy now with the twotter. werent we supposed to get another udpate for the ATR in May ? at least it was announced.
so now all are busy with MSFS2024. Thats it with updates i guess ?! disappointing.

1 Like