January 26, 2023 Development Update Discussion

I can understand December being a slower month but this is the 4th “update” for January that has contained absolutely nothing of substance at all. I wish I could get away with that in my job…

12 Likes

Actually, we on Xbox are being held hostage, yes we are, by MS because they are the ones limiting what we can purchase via their Marketplace. There is NO avenue for us to purchase anything other than through MS. Open things up and be more like the PC group, and forget about WASM or whatever you are standing behind now!!!

6 Likes

Another option is to watch the Q&A next week :slight_smile:

“We will have more to share about both the Development Roadmap and Feedback Snapshot in next week’s Developer Q&A.”

I’m sure they have their reasons, so a little bit of patience might help! There is no flight sim developer out there that provides better communication than Asovo/Microsoft, so I definitely appreciate it!

5 Likes

Could you provide examples of other software on Xbox where you can buy things from a third-party store that allows external WASM to be run?

This is not about MSFS but rather how consoles are designed…

1 Like

Wonder if they will ever fix the “always” on RNWY lights. The approach lights can be seen for miles, which is not realistic at all. They ruin the approach to minimums uncertainty. Good luck

Steam Deck lets you run any program you want. :slight_smile: This is not an inherent console problem, it’s a Microsoft choice (as the vendor of the Xbox platform and OS).

3 Likes

I am not sure why you continue to call these “Development Updates”? Surely these are something else. How about “Marketing Updates”? Or, “Marketplace Updates”?

The Dev Q&A streams are also becoming marketing promotions too. They now are restricted to discussing things that MS wants to talk about rather than issues the user community wants to discuss or know about like bug fix priorities and the overall development plans.

15 Likes

I think Xbox and msfs2020 will go down in history as an example of serious failure. I’m sorry, but that’s how experiences feel.

4 Likes

I will nth the notion that the continued punting on the dev roadmap is starting to be really concerning. I can’t think of a reason for this happening that amounts to good news for the playerbase.

6 Likes

There been reports around web how azure lost too much money lately. And q&a is switching format to a certain topics focusing on missions aka how to keep people interested. Wonder if any of that is related and we will see a different approach to sim in future as it based on cloud services.

1 Like

We’ll watch the Q&A next week…that’ll include the announcement of AAU1 being delayed to the second week of February. :laughing:

1 Like

If so, it’s time to put our Xboxes on sale. But slowly…

1 Like

But a SteamDeck isn‘t a console although it is often referenced as such (even by Valve). But it is simply a small form factor Linux PC, especially from a software point of view. :wink:

Sorry, but buying a console and then complaining about their inherent limitations and locked down nature of its software (as the user did for whom the answer was meant you have replied to) and projecting it on MSFS isn’t quit fair - don‘t you think so too.

In fact MS/Asobo is going quite far with the upcoming support for WASM on console. There is NO other application for Xbox who allows execution of foreign code introduced by third party mods…because it could be a potential security risk.
That’s the reason why it is not that of an easy fix: not only the sim need to support this, but also the Xbox ecosystem too and it need to be safe too —> I am not aware of any other console manufacturer making something like WASM remotely possible on their platform …

1 Like

A serious failure, based on…what exactly? That’s hard to square with the fact that the sim is arguably performing better and with greater stability on Xbox than at any time since launch (at least on beta). It’s also hard to square with what’s been reported directly regarding the number of simmers on console. The sim has probably been a system seller for many people on Xbox and a big driver of gamepass subscriptions.

6 Likes

Exactly me, like most users who have experienced the same things as me, who share their experiences, who have to face many new problems and find solutions in each new version. Isn’t a well-optimized simulation right for all of us? Similar and additional issues that have been repeated over and over by people here despite dozens of beta test participants. That’s the real foundation.

You know that an Xbox is essentially a Windows PC, right? The only differences are the ones that Microsoft chose to make.

The idea that it’s not fair to criticize other choices Microsoft makes in its ecosystem is one you can make if you want, but I won’t restrict myself that way. :slight_smile: The Marketplace has problems, and the Xbox has problems, and both of them could be changed by Microsoft for the better if they chose.

Note I mean Microsoft, not Asobo. Asobo is a separate entitity, and cannot itself change the Xbox OS. That’s Microsoft’s alley, like the Marketplace.

3 Likes

We will be skipping next week’s Update due to the holidays. We’ll be back with another Marketplace Update on December 29th, → and now is january 29th ??
I’m still waiting of Marketplace Update I look every day for the update

Where were you looking at? Marketplace has been updated every week! Last update was 3 days ago!

4 Likes

No it’s not. The difference is the abbreviation you used, “PC”. An XBox is not a personal computer, it’s a console that provides access to a closed and secured network like any other console does. A PC is not a console but acts as a terminal accessing an UNSECURED network. You can do what you want with your PC while the XBOX is a locked up safe in a secure room or whatever you want to refer it to. MS protects their network with all means, just like Sony does with the Playstation network. You can’t just add to it what you want as you can do with a PC.

A steamdeck is a small weirdly looking PC.

1 Like

Bookmark this page, there’s been an Market Update every week since then…
Latest Microsoft Flight Simulator/News and Announcements topics - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

1 Like