Jerky cockpit

I am glad it’s not just me. Rift S / 1080ti

I’ve found the judder is largely independent of GPU utilization. I can turn down the graphics settings until it looks like I’m living inside a badly compressed JPG, and it will not eliminate judder. What DOES seem to have a real effect is 1) proximity to the ground, and 2) glass cockpits. I’m not sure about the former, but the latter I’d bet is hammering the MainThread in a way that causes the wonky timing you can see on frametime graphs.

Basically, judder is minimal in planes with no glass cockpit and increases with the amount and complexity of the cockpit. The 152 is smoother than the steam gauge 172, and the steam gauge 172 is smoother than the G1000 172. G3000 cockpits are a juddery mess.

Go to an external view while in VR and you can watch the frametime stabilize the second you aren’t rendering instruments.

They added a refresh rate setting for glass cockpits a while back, but in VR it doesn’t really fix the problem because it just makes the updates less frequent. They still hammer the CPU every time it updates.

4 Likes

Playing with some settings yesterday I found that turning Vsync on (fast mode) or Nvidia control panel fixed most issues I was having. No more micro stutters and ASW is now working fine. Cockpit movements are also much better. Not sure if it is 100% related to this problem, but it is worth trying.

4 Likes

Confirming @Mendigo1151’s suggestion fixed the persistent microstutter on both mine and my brother’s setups with Quest 2 and Link. He’s using a 3080, I’m using a 1080Ti. Also others here have reported that this worked for them too. Make sure to give it a try if you’re a Quest+Link user.

Well, unfortunately that doesn’t seem to be it for me. Perhaps as @SwirlyMaple7 pointed out in the other thread it’s only for the newer Oculus offerings (one day I’ll upgrade from my DK2 :wink: - but then I’ll also need an expensive new graphics card - again).

What I did observe using the oculus “app render timing” overlay that I get periodic spikes in the “app gpu time” graph. While the normal time seems around 16ms the spikes go to around 21ms. The spikes come at maybe 8Hz with glass cockpit refresh rate low and faster when I change that refresh rate. So it seems pretty clear that it’s caused by the glass cockpit. Whether those spikes are responsible for the jumpyness problem is another question though.

The V-Sync setting to ‘fast’ won’t do anything for the other Oculus headsets. That fix applies to Oculus Link / Quest only, which have a very different image pipeline compared to Rift S, CV1, or DK2.

1 Like

Having the exact same issue with Oculus CV1, 3080, Ryzen 5800x. It doesnt matter settings I use in sim or Oculus tray tool I still get the same image distortion when moving my head around in cockpit.

I seem to find that changing either pixel density in Oculus tray tool or the render resolution in sim makes no difference once I go above 1.0/100%. I cant seem to see any difference in the image quality.

I hope a solution is found for this, really frustrating.

You can search my posts about how I found the “sweet spot” for my 1660 Super to settle at a lower but very stable FPS. They key is to disable ASW to avoid issues caused by re-projecting an unstable frame rate, and set graphics at higher level so FPS can be lowered to near the stable level for Oculus (18 or 30 or 45, depends on your PC power).

1 Like

There are three issues:

1. Stuttering on Quest 1/2 with Link for OpenXR
    This is fixed with setting Vsync to FAST

2. Frame pacing issue on Quest 1/2 with Link
    This is an issue with how Oculus works with Link and currently the only workaround is by bypassing Link completely and opting for Virtual desktop which works with OpenXR SteamVR.

3. Stuttering even when forcing reprojection
    This is caused due to the CPU being the bottleneck and not the GPU. You can fix this by limiting the framerate below what you can sustain without motion smoothing AND enabling motion reprojection (ASW) now the CPU isn’t bogged down and motion smoothing can do its thing.

2 Likes

Yeah I get the same stuttering with my Quest 2. Its noticeably much worse in the glass cockpit planes though so its clearly a frame rate and CPU issue, for me anyway. Like I mentioned in another thread, I find the big airliners unflyable in VR, which is a shame. I’ve get an overclocked RTX 3080 and an i7 7700 CPU so I should have a decent enough set up for it.

What makes the fps a stable level at 18 and 30 without reprojection?

I have no idea about how. But many people including me disabled re-projection and received much more stable frame rates.

Quick question… what is the best way to limit fps? Nvidia Control Panel?

Let’s say I am getting 35-40 Fps with ASW off… so limit it to 35 and force reprojection to 30 Hz?

Same happen with vive pro.

Easy, you just push your graphic settings higher to get lower FPS

1 Like

disabled re-projection …how so you do that with Oculus Quest 2 and Nvidia?

Thanks
RB

Oh, I changed ASW to ‘disabled’ in Oculus Debug Tool.

Did you have to do that as Administrator?

Not necessarily. I only reopened Oculus Debug Tool as Admin when I would like to be sure my settings were truly saved. Select the Restart as Admin menu option seemed better save my settings when it’s reopened.

You do have to close Oculus client and reopen it after change settings in ODT though. I left ODT open to be sure but maybe that’s not a must.

To be honest, I am not sure if disabling ASW means disabling re-projection. But it probably changed the way how re-projection is done.

It deal a lot with this issue lately.

For now the only way to"solve" this with the Reverb G2 was to disable head tracking by blinding the cameras in the headset.

Reducing “annoying” lights in the cameras sights as from my enlighted keyboard helps.
Installing “anchor lights” (LED strips for example) around me helps.
Making the room evenly lit but not too bright, avoiding harsh shadows on the walls helps.
Covering your monitor helps.

But even then I get sometimes scary camera jumps inside the cockpit when looking at the instruments. Instant motion sickness.

Finaly I taped the cameras and the jumps and jitter is gone but for the cost of forward leaning.

Horizontal and vertical rotation still works with the gyro in the headset. Feels like beeing inbetween 2D and 3D and give also headache because of the missing movement. It feels like you are tied to the seat, very uncomfortable too.

So far I understand the camera inside out tracking is the source of the evil. The headset simply lost his orientation and give wrong data into the helpless guessing sim.

This is a real big issue and needs to be addressed by the developers, probably the makers of the headsets first, to improve the tracking. It should work in real world enviroments as well as in their clean cubic white walled laboratorys.

Now I just want to know how it goes with lighthouse tracking. Anyone who knows?