Jerky cockpit

I’ve finally got my Quest 2 about as finely tuned as I think its ever going to be. Until Asobo and Microsoft release the DirectX 12 patch for FS2020 later this year and the game starts running far more efficiently we’re clearly stuck with things the way they are. Any optimisation they do between now and then will obviously be welcome but I think we’ll only see marginal improvements until the sim is more efficient in its CPU usage.

Thought Id add this in here.

I’ve found that in order for Oculus tray tool to implement ASW at 30Hz you need to open the game through Oculus tray tool its self. If I ran the game through steam first, even after having Oculus tray tool open it would not always apply the settings. Its seems to also work best, when launching the game for the first time after starting up your PC.

The G3000 seems to still cause huge problems for me using a CV1, more so than cracking up settings. This is with a RTX 3080 and 5800x.

Ironically I just posted about this so moderators could merge my topic into this one. I guess work on render scales.

hello,

where is your article?

Yeah, I also found that although some settings like SS would stay, other settings like ASW in Tray Tool wouldn’t always mean it. This of course made my testing/tuning for new configurations much harder, so I now get back to the much more trustworthy Oculus Debug Tool.

Some really useful posts here! I’m seeing the same problem - I get “swimmy” visuals in the aircraft with more cockpit information (such as the 787, and the Beechcraft Baron B58). My rig is more than capable (i9 9900K, EVGA RTX3080, 64GB SDRAM). But one thing I haven’t been able to figure out is how to use Oculus Tray Tool with MSFS. OTT will not allow me to set up MSFS2020 at all - when I try to do so, I always get a “You don’t have permission to open this file” error. I have read up on how to try to get around it, and by changing permission settings, and the like, but I still cannot get it to work. What is the best way to get OTT to work with MSFS2020?

I am definitely going to try some of the other advice on this thread, but if anyone here has a good way to set up OTT with MSFS2020 that I might not have seen, I’d love to know about it!

You bought it via MS store right…? I have the same problem. I can’t use the files of the title I bought…?

If you open OTT when you have MSFS running and choose your generic settings, it will apply it MSFS. You don’t actually need to create a profile for MSFS.

Thanks Sam! I realized that recently and will continue to play with settings now that OTT is making a difference for me.

@SnakeHelah Yes, I got it via MS store. My research shows that the way MS installs apps like this involves a great deal of security settings that don’t allow too many changes - I played around with lots of permissions and researched how to get control of folders and files that don’t default to user control. Ulitimately I ended up making it so that I can only now run the game as an Administrator. It still works fine, but I am about to move it to a new SSD anyway.

I use a red light to light my cockpit. It helps a lot with tracking

Yes I get the same. It does look like a tracking issue except the headset tracks perfectly outside of MSFS so definitely a software issue. I assume its just a bug.

When using my Quest 2 I find I have to have the Left Controller held up in front of headset to stop any jerky cockpit movements. If I place it on the table beside it causes tracking issues. Must be a quirk of the Quest 2.

2 Likes

Just got an Oculus rift S and its taking about a week to get it working! i bought it for MSFS 2020 and well when you look out the window theres “jerkiness” which ruins the experience.

Now my PC is not that great but i was wondering what the fix for this? or is there one until the next MSFS 2020 update?

Ive seen mention of ASW and setting it to 40? How do i do that and is that the fix?

Interesting! I’m glad to see that it’s not just those of us that use Windows Mixed Reality headsets!

At first, I thought the problem was MSFS 2020, as this where I discovered the problem. But, I also noticed that other STEAM-related games, such as X-PLANE 11, AEROFLY 2–also had this problem.

This lead me to believe that it may be a problem with SteamVR/OpenXR.

I have completely smooth frames in the cockpit and outside (usually!). However starting from cold and dark with waypoints can really upset frames. Checkout this post, one of the tell-tale signs is that the scenery is usually uneffected and relatively smooth compared to the cockpit itself. If you are not starting cold and dark it should be ok but then you may have one of the many other issues which can effect frames…

Folks, the stutters associated with Oculus products are tied to the Oculus Reprojection Engine. Oculus have left their customers with no option to limit their FPS as they desire which is a shame. When you use the 3rd party Tray Tool, you’ll notice even that doesn’t help with image and frame rate stabilization.
I use an RTX 3090 on a 8700k @ 5.1 GHz. I could never achieve a smooth experience inside the B787 cockpit over a complex photogrammetry city like Los Angeles with any VR headset until I tried Valve Index. So if you desire butter smooth visuals, here is what you should do:

1. Buy Valve Index (only the headset and the two Base Stations)
  2. Install Steam and SteamVR if you don’t have them
  3. In SteamVR > Video > Per-Application Settings, set the followings:

Motion Smoothing to “Force Always ON”
    Throttling Behavior to “Fixed”
    Lock Application Framerate to “22.5”
    Additional Prediction set to “44.44ms”
    And then, you will witness how the Steam Framerate Stabilization engine will take over the control. Simply hard to believe your eyes at first as you know nothing has changed on your system hardware-wise, it’s all about the software magic… And that puts Oculus truly to shame!

3 Likes

I’d rather let them fix the bug instead of shelling out another $$$ for a new headset again (for about four times the price).

1 Like

Application framerate to 22.5 :face_vomiting:

And frame reprojection bring back fps to 90! Smooth as a dream in every VR headset, in fact much smoother than on a monitor. So don’t jump on conclusions.