Jet turbine not starting

Hi,
I am working on a jet aircraft project and I successfuly created the aircraft. But now when I try to start, the rpm increases but it will never start…

In addition, I am trying to simulate a turbojet where N2 equals N1 (actually there is no N2). Does anyone have a clue how I have to set the configuration?

Has anyone ANY working engines file where you can start the engines?

1 Like

Hi I suggest you take one of the existing engine cfg files maybe from the Citation and work up from there. I am only guessing here but if you are using a turbojet and don’t need an N2, you will have to use some custom coding in your engine gauges to account for it. In other words you might still have to have a N2 value in the CFG to get the engine to run but not actually show an N2 value in the gauges. I’m not a programmer though. I’m only guessing based off what my programmer mentioned about using an N3 value since I’m building a plane with RR engines.

I did exactly that and started with a CJ4 engine file, but it will not work.

After hours of experimenting, I noticed that the CJ4 file in the “SimpleAircraft” project works. I then changed the engine parameters to what I need and it still works.

Interestingly, when copying the flight model to the simple aircraft, the engines will not work anymore — strange :thinking:

Now I am changing the flight model parameters one by one and reloading the aircraft in between. A real pain in the ■■■, but I want to get to know which parameter is causing this behaviour.

I noticed now two points:

• Starter rpm cannot be set above 25% (I need it at 13%, but I noticed nonetheless)
  • Turbine not starting is due to no fuel getting introduced

I have the feeling that the turbine not starting can be traced back to me changing to a single center tank and that now the fuel selector is somehow blocking fuel.

I found the problem after messing around for two weeks!

The fuel system is built the same way as the electric system, where you got circuits for distribution and consumers attached to the circuits.

In the fuel system, the “pipes” are called fuel transfer pumps. So, if you want to have a single fuel tank, you still need to have at least one fuel transfer pump.

Also important thing I learned:
Fuel is only allowed to flow one direction. So, if you want to create a single fuel line connecting two tanks, you need to create two pumps acting vice versa to simulate a flow which can go either way.

2 Likes

When do you expect the plane to be released?

I have to also work on advancing the aircraft in real life, so progress is slow.

But thanks to the amazing people from Aerosoar Discord, I have a very rudimentary version of the aircraft (at least flyable) hopefully available by end of the week.

1 Like

Hi Scheny,

the solution you propose seems rather interesting, but I am not able to understand it fully. I have same problem, at starting, my engine spool up to 22 23%, then nothing happens, and then goes back to 0…I have tried many many things like K:TOGGLE_STARTER1, like setting 16383 (>K:MIXTURE_SET), but no joy.
So I have tried to duplicate your tips in the [ELECTRICAL] section of systems.cfg
part I have added a line for fuel transfer, still no luck:
circuit.51 = Type:CIRCUIT_FUEL_TRANSFER_PUMP #Connections:bus.1# Power:35, 48, 20.0# Name:Aux_Fuel_Pump

Well do you have to create a [FUEL] sections in systems.cfg, would you mind publish your code for this part? How to create fuel line…?

Thank you in advance, I would love to start my dual engine aircraft…
Cheers
Airone

The fuel line turned out not to be the only problem. I tried to delete the tables and this made the engine also stop working. I just copied the tables back in from the CJ4 and now its almost perfect, except for the PID for fuel constantly overflowing at rapid changes (the windup protection should avoid this). This is rather interesting, as these values are working fine for all other jets and should be dimesnionless…

As for the tables, I don’t mind them being in, but my aircraft doesn’t have either a second shaft, or an APU.

I can have a look at your config in Discord if you want.