JF PA 28 powerful in engine Idle?

When I was Power Idel and released the brake, the plane automatically moved forward, running faster and faster. Is this normal?

1 Like

It will certainly start moving when you release the brake in real life. ā€œFaster and fasterā€ is subjective. How fast? You can easily get one taxiing at 40 knots if youā€™re not paying attention.

A underpowered single engine piston aircraft? Have you experienced this in the real PA28?

I think itā€™s a little much but you should be able to fix it with the prop

A PA-28 should not move at idle power unless parked on a hill.

1 Like

With several hundred hours in them in real life I can say unequivocally that this is absolutely not true. The moment you pull the parking brake it will start rolling, on flat ground at idle power.

5 Likes

Well thereā€™s a big discussion in the JF forum and on Twitter with JF whether 1000rpm in idle is correct or not.
Most people say it should be 600-800rpm and that probably would stop it from accelerating as well.

1 Like

I always set idle to 700 RPM

In what? What does that mean?

In the Piper mentioned in the post above mine

Excellent point.

Edited for correctness:

Idle - throttle closed to the stop (~600-700 RPM).

Faster setting - recommended by Cessna and Lycoming (~800-1000 RPM) to prevent fouling and aid cooling.

700rpm in the JF PA? Impossible for me. I canā€™t get it below 1000rpm.

Iā€™ve just looked at some Arrow II and Arrow III POHs and Iā€™m pretty sure the the ones I saw said ā€œaboveā€ 600 RPM. I didnā€™t confirm that which POHs, if any, were for the exact plane modeled. That is a vital distinction that many simmers donā€™t take into account.

I guess one thing to consider. The JF PA28 was an old training aircraft so it may be that it likes a higher idle because of engine wear. Maybe it is near time for a complete overhaulā€¦

That is another thing a lot of simmers donā€™t understand. These are modeling real aircraft. Not brand new aircraft. Thatā€™s not to say this behaviour is right or wrong. It is just that it isnā€™t as cut-and-dried as a lot of simmers seem to think.

Personally Iā€™d not want to fly it in real life if it is wear related because it means that more brakes are required to slow down. That has two issues:

1. Heat and therefore brake fade.
  2. Short field stopping performance.

If it is ā€œnormalā€ then that is not so bad because the brakes will be designed to handle it.

Apologies. I should have stated IRL Iused to always idle at 700RPM. I havent got the PA28 yet in MSFS

2 Likes

Edited for correctness:

Idle is generally adjustable at the carburetor.

The faster setting of 1000 RPM is manually applied by the pilot.

I have experienced a few aircraft which have had a ā€˜racingā€™ idle, i.e. regardless of the carburetor adjustment, the idle stayed up around 1000 RPM. A few things could cause this but the primary suspicion is that there was an air-leak somewhere causing lean mixture. I canā€™t speak for all types, but this is usually abnormal and tends to cause the aircraft to be ā€˜slipperyā€™ in the flare or in the glide. A difference of 300 - 400 RPM is substantial.

By and large the majority of aircraft I have flown have [low] idled at ~600 RPM.

1 Like

Yeah, I thought 1000 RPM was high. The Only Arrow Iā€™ve flown was a PA28R-180, so I didnā€™t say anything, other than that, all my time is in Cherokees and Warriors, and, yeah, usually lowest RPM is around 7-800. You bring it up to 1000 to warm the oil when you start it coldā€¦ with the parking brake set.

Full idle, as in throttle pulled all the way out, should definitely be lower than 1,000 RPM. Probably 600.

BUT the aircraft will still move at idle with no brakes applied.

1 Like

How to set low idle speed for JFā€™s PA28? The official video start idling speed is also 1000 rpm.

I may well be wrong - or perhaps always operated from very rough pavement :wink:

I assume that you probably canā€™t, unfortunately. It is likely an inaccuracy in the modelling of the aircraft.

I dislike the feeling of an idle that cannot be tamed. It feels like a car with an automatic transmission that is always in drive.