JF piper arrow takeoff

Hi, is anybody having this problem during takeoff? My plane goes to the side… (right) It makes the takeoff almost imposible. It is starting when I put throtle to full power…

Most likely crosswind from the right.

1 Like

When I learned to fly in a similar airplane, as I accelerated down the runway I had to apply more and more left rudder to counter that effect, caused mostly I think by prop wash. With a prop rotating the other way it would be left-turning countered by right rudder.

Pete

absolutly normal because of p-faktor and crosswind. If crosswind comes from the left it can also be that the planes turn left

Apologies if I’m just telling you something you already know about crosswind takeoffs.

I found the secret ingredient is to set your elevator trim slightly nose up (just below the neutral pip should do).

Otherwise follow a normal crosswind takeoff procedure.

Turn yoke full deflection into the wind direction.

Bring up the throttle slowly and adjust with the rudder, it should be easier to track the centreline.

As you speed up bring your yoke slowly back to neutral but not all the way.

Lift off when you hit vr but keep your rudder deflected and banked slightly into the wind, essentially take off in a side slip.

Once you’re up you can ease off the rudder to return the plane into a crab.

1 Like

Ok thx to all of you. I thought it was possible bug:) Am going to learn more

I have the same problem but mine turns hard to the left at around 50-60 knots. It’s like there’s a strong gust of wind hitting the plane all of a sudden every time I take off.

I tried it today and all was OK… It was the wind before… I guess…

And decreasing right aileron. As the airspeed increases over the control surfaces, you need less aileron input. You’ll know if you have too much as you’ll be rolling on two wheels as the downwind wing rises.

It’s a tricky plane to takeoff in a crosswind, but very rewarding when you get it right.

The trick seems to be the point where you take out the aileron. The second that comes out, it will lurch violently if you haven’t put in more rudder.

Met my match with a gusting 15-20kts crosswind. I cannot do that reliably at all. Did repeated touch, and go’s, and I would imagine I got one good takeoff out of 5. It can be done, but seems way harder than it should be.

I should have repeated that location with another plane, like the 172, for comparison purposes.

I spent an hour this morning practicing circuits at Madeira. I like that place as it has some nice aspects regardless of which runway you land on. Both ends have drop-offs leading to some nice mechanical aspects to deal with as you approach the threshold.

First I tried it with live weather, and I had a 7kt headwind just off to one side, so not much of a challenge.

I then switched to manual weather, and adjusted it so I had a 10kts crosswind, with the default 2kt gust from the same direction. This led to the near uncontrollable take-off we’ve all seen.

Even when in the air, these gusts just seem so “artificial” in nature when compared to live weather. Reducing to a 1kt gusts doesn’t feel much better either. Speaking from a position of no authority whatsoever, these gusts seem like a backstep, even though the interface for controlling them is better than what we had before.

I then turned the gusts off completely so just had to deal with the 10kt crosswind, and the mechanical turbulence as you come in to runway 5, resulting in some downdraughts in this case so coming in a little higher than normal. That was quite doable. I perhaps ran though that half a dozen times.

I then upped this to a 20kt crosswind, so the interface was reading around 50kts at 200ft, and 20kts on the ground indicated in the GTN750.

Takeoff was a little more challenging, but I did not get that lunging effect you see when gusts are on, or in some live weather situations. Full left aileron on take-off role, gradually increasing right rudder, and as a I gain speed reducing the aileron input.

Landing was certainly more challenging, and the only time I noticed I had a little jerk to the left as the left wheel touched down, then the right, was when I did not have enough left aileron input.

This was really fun to practice, and showed, to me at least, that the gusts are where the issue appear to be, and lead to the unpredictability, and my near total inability to anticipate them.