JMB VL-3 - What a waste?

You can actually hear the engine in this one, and it sounds like an engine. You can hear it does have a bit of that burble, so to speak, but it seems like the only thing they recorded in MSFS is the burble. They even talk about how smooth and quiet it is in the video. When the rpms get low it starts vibrating and sounding like in the sim, unfortunately in the sim it’s always like that.

1 Like

Lol that is not even the same engine… you linked a video of a 915iS instead of 912UL. One thing they have in common though, just like any other engine, If you lower the rpm in VL-3 in the sim, the sound also decreases. The moment you linked was with the low rpm in the cruise. Listen to that engine before they land (high rpm) and take into account that the sound you hear is muted because it is recorded through the headset.

Do the G3X modifications in the Icon Performance mod affect the G3X in the VL-3? Those modifications give Autopilot control via the touchscreen of the G3X.

Update: Yes it does work.

I know it was the 915 and not the 912, but there aren’t many good videos of it out there where you can actually hear the engine so that was close enough since it isn’t just through the headset as you can hear it the whole time. You can find other videos of different airplanes with the 912 which also sounds pretty similar. Also I only linked that moment because I didn’t want to link the beginning when they weren’t flying, I wasn’t trying to link to a specific point in the video. I should have linked to around 4:00 when they take off then pull back power and climb at 5500, my bad. Best to watch the whole thing anyway. The point is they sound pretty smooth, they don’t have that weird washing sound the whole time like in the sim.

You bring up the sound decreasing with RPM, that’s another issue with MSFS since the sound “intensity” doesn’t decrease with throttle in the sim unless you bring it back to idle and the RPM actually decreases, but that is true of all the constant speed prop planes in the sim since they don’t model unloaded and loaded engine sounds unfortunately. A2A did a nice job of this.

1 Like

So now that Sim Update 3 has killed the autopilot, wheats going to be the go to G3X mod to bring it back? Shame it seems MSFS won’t bother trying to model the screens systems correctly.

Should be simple enough to mod the autopilot back in. Give it time.

Yup. Latest update 1.14.5.0 has broken the autopilot for VL-3

The same binds still work in KingAir glass cockpit.

There is a prerelease of g3x-dev6 on the WorkingTitle GitHub. The autopilot on the VL-3 works fine. Please don’t post false information

… What ? The VL-3 AP has been removed, it’s even in SimUpdate3’s release notes. Talk about spreading false information …

2 Likes

It’s a one character fix in the systems.cfg. The g3X-dev6 mod works great. My autopilot is completely functional.

That means the AP only works after cfg file surgery. Anything else is false information.

4 Likes

I doubt it’s one character in the aircraft.cfg file. It does work changing one character in the systems.cfg file under [autopilot] autopilot=0 to autopilot=1.

You got me. I meant systems.cfg.

There’s so much wrong here, I don’t know where to begin. Firstly, ultralights in Europe are managed by the individual aviation authorities of the individual countries - for example Germany used to allow ULs with a maximum MTOW of 475Kg, of which 25Kg is used for the parachute, now it’s 600kg. France is 525kg, I believe.

The 600kg version is available with the Rotax 912 ULS and will cruise at 130 - 135 knots true at 8000 feet. With 120 litres of fuel, this would be 5 hours of flight. Any flight of more than 2 hours duration would be made beneficial by the use of an autopilot - it’s so much more comfortable than having to chase an altitude or a course, especially when flying in complex airspace.

A GSA 28 servo from Garmin weighs around 700g so add two, plus cables, the full autopilot would weigh maybe 5kg, not 20kg - because it would be controlled by the G3X Touch. Even adding the GMC507 to control it separately would not reach this figure because the control head weighs 308g, the installation kit would be another 350g so no-one near the 20kg you claim.

But let’s consider W&B. With the Rotax 912ULS powered aircraft weighing 310kg empty, even if I add 25kg for the autopilot, I can fill the tanks - 120l x 0.71 = 84kg; I now have 180kg for myself, my passenger and baggage.

Assume 2 x 75kg - means 30kg for baggage. So I can now fly, with full tanks, for 5 hours with an hours reserve. Want to fly that duration without an autopilot?

My longest single flight without an autopilot (in real life) was 2 hours; my longest single flight with an AP was 4 hours. I was more relaxed after flying with the AP than without. Until you’ve experienced the benefits of flying with an AP, you’ll have the same attitude as the LBA who also claim “such aircraft don’t need autopilots”. No, they don’t NEED them, but it’s a heck of a lot more relaxing, flying long distances with them.

2 Likes

good to know that I was wrong with the weights, that makes things easier. The old AP in the Morane at our aerodrome has about that weight, technology evolves, that’s true I guess. The thing about “making sense” was purely meant by the attitude of the LBA… “Luftsportgeräte” by definition and certification don’t need an autopilot by their understanding, they are flown for sports reasons, not to cruise, that’s what the E-Class is for and that’s the whole point why the M-Class and the SPL were introduced. A cheaper and easier way to fly but with limitations to E. I personally totally see the advantages, my longest flight over two days was from northern Bavaria via Vienna to Calabria in a C150. A basic AP would have made it easier but not having one was no problem at all either.

However regarding the allowance and certification in ULs I don’t have much hope in Germany. The “Sport” definition doesn’t only concern aviation but other hobbies too. Sport shooters for example who are limited massively by the only reason they are allowed to own weapons: Sport. And for sports you don’t need this, this, this and that… If the LBA changed this definition there would be a short way to court and other regulations and limitations would have to be changed across many topics. I don’t see Germany do that.

To me even with the upgrade to Vl-3 915 still the autopilot does not work, but not only that nor the altitude setting the VS etc. I was thinking of using it through the keys of my panel but it doesn’t respond to those either. I have tried uninstalling both the “Worktitle G3000” and the upgrade to “Garmin NXI” but it still doesn’t work. How is Possibille?

Hi I made the download of the mod community-vl3rotax915 again and now the Garmin G3X works. Thanks.