JMB VL-3 - What a waste?

the VL3 is a beautiful plane with an amazing view and solid performance but it feels so incomplete - AP is non existent and it really deserves some love.

I have downloaded the Working-title mod but even then the course bug is INOP - such a shame

3 Likes

AP is still accessible using keyboard commands. Not ideal, but means you can still use it.

2 Likes

There is a great mod for it adding the Rotax 915is engine. I recommend you use it, they also increased the rest of it massively.

But Iā€˜ll never understsnd the need of an autopilot in such an airplane anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Thank you

Do you know the name of the mod?

Hardly an insult post, I think its a nice little plane but the fact its a base plane that has missing features like the ability to control the AP is disappointing, especially when the airliners seem to get lots of attention.

I am not a developer, I cant give technical specifics on how this can be achieved but it seems well overdue some attention

5 Likes

I tend to fly with real weather so when landing in dense fog its quite nice to be able to run an ILS approach, the manufacturers IRL thought so to apparently :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There are a few planes in the hangar where interaction with AP features via ā€œclickable cockpitā€ is limited.
The functions are all bindable though and since binding these functions to my hotas all of them are a lot easier and more realistic feeling to control.
(fumbling around for a ā€œclickable cockpitā€ function in rough air when you really ought to be paying attention to a lot of other things going on with your plane is less than optimal isnā€™t it? Bind these things to physical keys, buttons or encoders in order to just be able to reach out and make the thing do what you need it to do when you need that to happen.)

VL-3 is a great little plane. One of my go-to rides and I can be AP on, Nav mode on, controlled ascent shorlty after take off just by hitting a few switches in easy reach of my throttle hand.

All the Autopilot functions can probably be found by searching ā€œAutopilotā€ in control set up.
I canā€™t remember if there are any default bindings but the base functions I use a lot areā€¦

Toggle Autopilot Master
Autopilot Nav 1 Hold
Toggle GPS Drives Nav1
Toggle Autopilot VS Hold
Increase Autopilot Reference VS
Decrease Autopilot Reference VS

All of these work in the VL-3, search these terms and add keybinds, job done. enjoy.

4 Likes

https://github.com/r9r-dev/fs2020-vl3-rotax915/releases
and https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/vl3-rotax-915-mod/239670

In addition you need the Working Title GX Mod

1 Like

I think there are VL-3 with autopilots available although it hardly makes sense. The reason is its certification for 432 kg (the attempted version we have here by default) and 600kg since 2019 with the Rotax 914 as a minimum. Youā€˜re already very limited on payload in these ultralight airplanes and while an autopilot weights around 20kg, rather more, a radio receiver that also includes an ILS will easily add another 4 or 5 kg. An IFR certification is even more unlikely.

For sim purposes, sure, why not.

3 Likes

After I download github and working title, PFD and ND have the screens with no colors.

When using the G3X by Working Title - you need to temporarily remove the G1000 and G3000 mods from your community folder for the G3X to correctly display synthetic vision.

1 Like

This is a lovely little aircraft it works well itā€™s great for flying round cities heā€™s got good views and is extremely easy to fly.The main systems are easy to use with a mouse as they are touch sensitive this certainly worth a fly is enjoyable to fly and itā€™s easy to get back to where you started from or to set up a route I canā€™t see anything negative about this aircraft itā€™s easy to take off and land.:grinning:

1 Like

B747, mouse clicks work. but not key bindings, very annoying.

Huh? I am using all 3 and never have to do that. My SV on G3X works just fine. According to WT, their mods are created so that they donā€™t conflict with each other. Are you on latest versions of them all?

2 Likes

Huh?
Yeah, youā€™re right. My bad.
Itā€™s the Uwaā€™s lighting mod that conflicts with the synthetic vision on the G3X. Remove that.

1 Like

Sorry, I had no problems, also with aktive G1000 and G3000 mods.

I think itā€™s hyperbole to label his post as an ā€˜insultā€™, a bit sparse on detail maybe ā€¦?

2 Likes

The VL-3 is a decent enough airframe if you have the two Mods. Problem is; like the Flight Design CT - thereā€™s a memory leak that make these behave like Heavies when it comes to FPS.
Such a shame.
But, as we know; MSFS 2020 is a WIP and Iā€™m sure these will be sorted out in the future.
Patience my fellow aviators. Itā€™ll get sorted.

1 Like

The worst thing about that plane are the engine sounds. Sounds like they recorded an offloaded washing machine and used that for the engine sounds. Drives me nuts. Shame too since itā€™s a neat little plane.

2 Likes

Many Rotax engines sound like that. Asobo recorded sounds from the real plane. Just listen in the background of this video. Sounds exactly like is MSFS.

3 Likes