Job Shadowing achievement

Did anyone successfully complete this achievement? I did several tries creating a flight based on a real live flight from Flightaware, but nothing gets locked. I feel like I am missing something, unless this achievement is bugged.

Any tips?

2 Likes

I just got it, no problems. I found green aircraft on the world map with live traffic enabled, clicked on it and selected ā€˜Create Flight Planā€™, and then just started and completed the flight without any modification to the plan. You have to fly without assistance (auto-rudder, auto-mixture etc.)

On that note, which settings qualify as assistance? only things under piloting or do taxi ribbons for example also count as assistance or AI doing ATC comms?

I have navigation aids enabled and they donā€™t count. I never used AI assistance for anything, so cannot say for sure.

Is the requirement to change the assistance to ā€˜true to lifeā€™ ? if soā€¦ the achievement is bugged on me

not modifying the flight plan seams to be key, just use the simple 2 point departure/destination plan direct GPS plan it gives you, adding WP or changing to low or high altitude VOR type brakes its function etc etc brakes the function, but that doesnā€™t stop you from navigating away from direct path using heading to etc to get onto ILS you manually add without changing the flight plan at all.

Hmm, Iā€™m not sure what I did to break the function, what I did wasā€¦

changed the assistance to ā€˜true to lifeā€™ on the menu first

I saw a short flight at an airport by clicking on live timing, then selected the flight

the flight path gave me a direct route from airport A to airport B, I made zero changes to the route, then I hit start game

the game started me on the runway at airport A, I noticed the start checklist was already filled out and the engine was already running

I opened up ATC menu from the toolbar and had the ATC box open, I then let the tower know Iā€™ll be departing straight out

I followed the gps line to airport B

during the flight I pressed V key to show gps box while I was on external camera, I donā€™t think this was the issue

I was near airport B, I informed the ATC that Iā€™m nearby and would like a runway to land on

I landed safe at airport B on the correct runway, I didnā€™t have any damage on the aircraft, then parked in the general parking area for small aircrafts

I opened up the toolbar to see if there were the engine shutdown procedure, all it had was takeoff procedure, I then auto turned off engine by pressing ctrl+shift+e

, any suggestions?

Iā€™m a casual simmer, just getting used to fs2020

edit day after: I did another quick flight, had all the assists to real life but I left the taxi ribbon on, still no achievement, hmm

edit2: got it :tada:

Iā€™m having a similar issueā€¦ What did you change that finally worked for you?

Thanks

Iā€™m unsure, I got the achievement by not pressing the v key for VFR map orā€¦ actually clicking the green plane icon on the live map instead of selecting by airports

Got it - I think the key was selecting a ā€œgreenā€ flight in progress from the map instead of the list

Thanks

2 Likes

Just thought Iā€™d mention this in case anyone else is struggling. You need to select one of the green airplanes from the world map, and you cannot make changes to the flight plan whatsoever. I changed from starting at runway to starting at a gate and the achievement didnā€™t unlock, only when I flew it unchanged did it work.

1 Like

Which nav aids in particular do not block the unlocking?

1 Like

I believe I had all of them ON and still got achievement

1 Like

Oh boy oh boy that was exciting! Iā€™ve succeed to achieve the ā€œJob Shadowingā€ at my second try. Exciting because Iā€™ve start my flight just few minutes after the real flight I shadowed so I have the real plane in sight all along. I finally land before because he did a STAR approach when I gone straight to the runaway. (A flight shadow itā€™s just a VFR GPS point A to B even if the real one will respect approch procedure. You donā€™t have to) Perfect to have time to park, get my drone and watch him on final and landing. The cherry on the sundae, he parked his plane next to me. Pretty nice!

So thereā€™s only two rules to follow to succeed.
1st be sure to chose your plane before selecting a green dot on the map to shadow and clic on ā€œCreate flight planā€
2nd donā€™t touch nothing else not even altitude in the log book before clicking ā€œFlyā€.

Of course no assist are allowed but I think it is just related to the 3 tasks you can chose for the copilot.

Choosing an appropriate green dot is another problem. You donā€™t want to shadow a 10 hours flight from Emirate Airline right? The trick for that is to look around a busy airport on the map and zoom enough to see green airplanes. Then you can see their flight number by flying your mouse over. Have a web browser open with this site: https://flightaware.com/
Then you can have complete details of that flight: Aircraft type, destination, flight duration. It can take some time to find your winner but itā€™s a must to have something more casual.

Good flight!

2 Likes

Finally finished this myself after a couple of attempts.

1. Set ā€œTrue to lifeā€ - my first attempt I think I didnā€™t have checklists/ATC doing what they normally would although most other settings were ā€œtrue to lifeā€

2. It seems that you can increase and decrease sim rate without breaking this achievement.

3. Flightplan will appear as a simple direct VFR. Donā€™t change anything. Just fly. You can request IFR in flight. Otherwise, just go. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I entered ILS runway approach and arrival in the flight plan of a real flight while I was in the flight and the ā€œjob shadowingā€ achievement triggered successfully anyway. So it appears you can change the flight plan once you have copied it from the real flight and after you have departed from the departure airport.

1 Like

Hello Everybody,
today I was able to unlock the Job Shadowing Achievement.
This is how I did it:

1. Start Up MSFS :slight_smile:
  2. Turn all assistances to ā€œTrue to Liveā€
  3. Go to World map, be sure you have all online Modes ON
  4. Select your plane you want to fly with, I recommend a standard plane
  5. Do not customize your plane, e. g. no Callsigns, tail numbers etc. leave these field empty
  6. go to a busy airport. Here you will find green planes on the map
  7. chose a short one. There are 50 Min flights available. You have to search a bit
  8. click on the plane and create flight plan
  9. fly but do not change the flight plan during flight and do not close ATC, checklist windows !
  10. you can enter ils frequencies. i think this is allowed
  11. land the plan
  12. after vacating runway request taxi and let the ai pilot communicate and taxi the plane
  13. when he has shut down the plane the achievement pops

GOOD Luck !!!

PS: I had troubles this week with the bush trips Balkan and Nevada. I guess they are bugged ?

1 Like

Hi there,

Tried a number of time this Job Shadowing achievement ā€¦ without success unfortunately! :cry:
All options set ā€œTrue to lifeā€, traffic On, no mods, with TBM aircraft, and just selected a flight in the airport flight list to create a flight plan and Fly directly without changing anything.
I only activated AI Piloting for final taxi and aircraft shutdown, like @hausnm said in Oct 22 itā€™s allowed.

Any idea? Have to open a support ticket do you think?

Thanks
Regards
Sylvain

1 Like

Hm, you should use the A320 standard plane and you must click on a green plane that is located on the world map.

So I did this a year ago, in Hawaii.
Basically on the world map click the airport and on right side of screen thereā€™s a frequency and live traffic menu. Click on any route and fly it.

I flew from Hawaii to the Big island ā€œdirectā€ nothing fancy. No IFR, no Star, just direct. Used the TBM. Maybe 20mins.
Once I clicked the route on the map live traffic menu. I didnā€™t change anything.

Thereā€™s definitely some super short island flights you can pick from on the island. It counts as long as you select it from the menu. It never worked for me to select a green plane on the map. I had to select it from the airport live traffic.

1 Like