Joystick Axis Way Off Center

So this is a strange issue I’ve run across today that I don’t think I’ve seen before. A plane was behaving erratically and I was finding it hard to control and trim with my joystick. Everything seemed off.

So eventually I pulled up the joystick sensitivity settings in MSFS and that’s when I noticed the joystick Y axis was WAY off center! I don’t even know how this happens. Take a look at my screenshot. This is how the joystick Y axis looks when it’s dead center. I’ve pulled up the Windows Game Controller settings right next to it to show you how the joystick setting data actually is correct.

Now I’ve moved my joystick until MSFS thinks it’s centered, however as you can see from the actual joystick position it’s about 4/5 of the way up.

This looks to be the culprite of what was causing me all of those headaches while flying. I don’t see a way in MSFS to adjust the center value, can someone help? What could cause this? Anyone experienced this before?

Cheers

Have your calibrated the stick in Windows?
Just as it says in your screen shot go to the settings tab of the windows dialog, click calibrate and follow the on-screen instructions.

If calibration does not work I would then try creating a new profile for the stick in MSFS.

as you can see in the screenshot, the Windows joystick dialogue is showing the correct joystick placement (centered). But the MSFS dialogue us showing the incorrect one, way off center on the Y axis only (X and Z axis are fine).

clicking reset does nothing. new profile does nothing. MSFS is reading the joystick input values incorrectly but it doesn’t realize it.

i fly in the sim almost every day until a recent update and then this happened. very strange. as far as i can tell there isn’t a way to tell MSFS to change the axis values for some reason

If you have axis and ohs, you can bind things there for anything that’s not playing ball in the sim settings. If the same problem exists, you can also adjust the centre spot. I recently bought it to configure a triple trim box that i got from etsy, as it’s the only way i could find to use analogue wheel inputs for rudder trim and aileron trim. They were actually both registering slightly off centre there, but it’s easy to move the centre point. If you can’t find a fix in the sim itself, this might be an option for you.

1 Like

Even if it showing correctly in windows, recalibrating is the 1st step to rule out any errors from there.

2 Likes

ok ill try that next

Had another thought…? :grinning:, perhaps it’s file became corrupted somehow.

Start msfs with the joystick unplugged. After it gets to the main menu, plug it into a different usb port, a warning box should pop up, then select new and use default mapping to test.

only other thing I can think of it XPForce breaking this as it’s the only addon i’m using sometimes.

It trims for the force feedback, so I think it may be changing the joystick pitch center somehow and not changing it back. anyone else experienced this?

Try it without XPForce, see if it corrects!