Joystick sensitivity suggestions for T.Flight Stick X

Hello FS community.

I have a pretty cheap joystick ngl… it’s not the best. I have the T.Flight Stick X. To be honest it does what it needs to do but I am having sensitivity issues. Does anyone have recommended sensitivity settings for this particular joystick? I mainly fly the A320 and some GA planes.

Some planes it just bounces up and down no matter how many times I adjust my sensitivty.

Thanks.

That may not be a sensitivity problem.
Do you have a deadzone on the controller axis?
All axis should have approximately 5%

After that, most posts seem to suggest a large (- 45 to around - 70) sensitivity.
Results are individual dependent.

I just checked, my deadzone was at 14% is that good or bad? I will change it to 5%. and I will also change the sensitivity as well to 70.

1 Like

That’s fairly large, you should be able to go smaller, 7 to 8%
Start around negative - 45 first

Hi there,
I moved your post to the Peripherals section and added the name of your stick to the title so that your post would be more easily searched.

1 Like

Thank you, I will make the changes later and let you know how it works for me!

No problem, thank you.

1 Like

I have an X52 Pro and had problems too. My suggestion is to try some trial and error. Just look the behavior of the little white dot and play with the variables you have available to set. When it behaves as smooth as you expect, then try it in the plane. For your knowledge, I had to disable the rudder because the plane was a crazy pony with it enabled. Don’t be shy and set values until you get what you want. There’s no written recipe. Kind regards

2 Likes

Does the reactivity setting help with your rudder issue?

It was so crazy the behavior that I set autorudder On and simply unassigned that axis with great results. Now I’m taxiing normally and taking off so. didn’t have any7 success changing any parameter.

1 Like

What should my reactivity be?

1 Like

If it is working OK, leave it alone.

1 Like

Cool, thanks

Real aircraft don’t have dead zones on their yokes.

All we need is for the full travel of the joystick to be mapped to the full travel of the matching control surface and that is it. The mapping would be a linear one for aircraft that use mechanical control cables.

Where this doesn’t quite work is when you then trim off the forces to hold the yoke in position. You can’t do that with a simple computer joystick. In FSX you would simply adjust the trim until you could let go of the joystick in the centre. In a real aircraft you adjust the trim until the position of the yoke is maintained without any control inputs from the pilot.

At the moment, for me and many other people FS 2020 is simply unplayable. I don’t know what all this nonsense is with non-linear curves for sensitivity. They must have been smoking something good when they came up with that one!

1 Like

its perfectly playable with a stick for me and many others.
its just setting stuff up well, which to be true is not that easy, but doable.

I’m pleased for you. It’s clear however that for a lot of people, myself included, it isn’t playable at all. No matter how hard you try. Trust me I’ve tried all this set up nonsense, but it’s impossible. Waste of time.

Why should mapping joystick movements onto control surface movements even be difficult? It’s not even like it’s never been done before is it? It works very simply in FS X! So why have they made it so hard? Or even impossibe for many?

Having splines and dead zones. Jeez. What were they thinking? Have they actually flown a real aircraft? Real aircraft don’t have dead zones.

I’m just waiting for somebody to tell me I should re-install windows.

1 Like

What joystick do you have?

1 Like

If you don’t need deadzones, don’t put them in place.

The MSFS A/P is very susceptible to “micro” signals that originate from a controller that doesn’t return to exactly dead center when released. Most controllers fit that description, some even when new.
This will cause the A/P to malfunction in most cases, not follow any commands, and go where it wants, normally nearly straight down.
Putting the deadzone in eliminates that.
Obviously, deadzones shouldn’t be there, as you mention, but some controllers do need a significant amount.
There is no “hard rule” on how much, or if any is needed.

I don’t think the type of joystick is relevant. I think it’s the flight-model that’s broken. I think what people are doing is altering their joystick “sensitivities” to “work around” the sensitivities in the flight model.

Here’s why I think that.

If I leave the linear graphs in the sensity adjustment then I see that I get the full range of control surface deflection on say a C172. Joystick in the middle, I see both elevators and ailerons centred. If I push my joystick full forward, I see the elevator in the full nose down position. Full back and it’s in the full nose up position. A similar situation is seen for the ailerons. The sensitivity graphs show a the full deflection of my joystik in a nice linear fashion, and in the game this is mapped onto the full range of deflection of the control surfaces. Exactly what should happen. So I shouldn’t have to adjust anything…if the flight model is right. If the flight model was right, I’d be able to fly it now exactly like the real thing. Except I can’t.

Conclusion: it’s the flight model that’s wrong.

Further evidence is provided by FSX. Here, I’m flying a PA28 and I can fly it nicely with my joystick. It, seems to me to fly in a way fairly similar to the real thing - and I’ve flown a whole range of different types of PA28 in the real world.

Back to FS 2020 and the C172 is super twitchy. In my opinion, the real thing just doesn’t fly like that and FSX, which was becoming a half decent simulator, has become more of a “game” in FS2020.

In my opinion, what everybody is doing, is tweaking the sensitivities as best they can to work around the questionable flight model in FS2020. Sure, you can do that, but even then, I don’t believe you end up with anything as close to the real thing as FSX was. Of course the graphics are nicer, but for me I’d really like to be able to fly a C172 or PA28 and find it behaves close to the real thing.

Is that a big ask for something that claims to be a “simulator”?

This stuff about dead-zones and “micro-signals” from the controller, simply shows the auto-pilot is bust too. Real planes don’t have dead zones, and in my experience of light aircraft, no two planes are identical anyway, depending on how many dents they’ve got etc. (!) My club has a PA28-180 that always used to pull one way with the controls centred - but you just trim it off. That’s what any decent auto-pilot would do. It shouldn’t matter that the controller is returning a non-centred value - the AP should just use trim to negate it as part of the feedback loop. If you watch APs they are often continually adjusting the trim.

1 Like

I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of the forum members agree there are lots of issues.
I would also suspect everyone has experienced issues with the sim at some point.
All I was doing was explaining why deadzones are often necessary with MSFS, not justifying the need for them.

If you don’t want to take advantage of these “fixes” *(as most others had to as well), you don’t have to.
Or, you can try some of them and maybe get some use out of the sim, as the rest of us are trying to do.

I suspect the price of a cheap joystick is significantly less than that used in the A320 in real life.