Just doing a bit of autopilot testing

Just doing a bit of testing on an (open source) fully automated flight --meaning auto-takeoff, waypoint-based flightpath, with terrain follow, and auto landing, using simconnect so it’ll work for planes that would never in a million years be outfitted with any of that-- from Duncan, BC, to Port Alberni and I have to admit…

There are worse ways to run a test!

Also the actual science looks pretty cool. Monitoring sixteen different flight properties to figure out whether I need to change anything and where.

Though, the real enemy is the end of the flight.

Not the auto-landing itself, that part’s actually quite doable (if not what your flight instructor taught you), and it’s not cross winds (although auto landing in cross winds is a universally bad plan), nor is it traffic on the runway, or runway slope…

no…

it’s this.

Random trees at the end of the runway. Seriously, just why. The first real MSFS2020 package I wrote was “removing a bunch of trees because omfg why” for a local runway.

We just about made it, though!

I mean… we’re powered off in the middle of a runway instead of having taxied off, but unless Microsoft starts supplying SimConnect with airport diagrams, auto-taxi is not going to happen ;&nbsp)

And when I say “planes that would never in a million years […]”, I mean it. Ever flown a Top Rudder 103 Solo—an ultralight that by all accounts just cannot ever be outfitted with even basic autopilot functionality—with a full auto flight package?

Because it’s amazing.

Best way to enjoy Tahiti. If you remember that there’s only so much vertical speed to be had!

And just for good measure: 4K Top Rudder goodness, but at Samsumg Oddysey G9 aspect ratio!

(I’ll take 49" super ultra wide screen with TrackIR over VR any day of the week. I like being able to look down and see my actual controllers)

MS in game AI can pretty much do everything from startup, request pushback, request IFR/VFR clearance, taxi, etc. maybe someday, once we humans can trust AI lol

Good luck getting MSFS to auto-takeoff and auto-land a Top Rudder 103 Solo. Ever :wink:

1 Like

Ha! I was meaning normal planes.

Good luck getting MSFS to auto-takeoff and auto-land a DeHavilland DHC-2 Beaver, too =D

But yeah, it’d be nice to have a “passenger mode” where you just say what plane you want to be a passenger in, where you’re sitting (including the pilot’s seat) and what route you want to fly, and where to land (not based on airport/VOR codes but just by clicking spots that seem neat to fly over on a map). Ideally, with terrain-follow because we’re being a tourist. Until you decide to push a button and take the helm.

Would make my project entirely obsolete =D

The airbus has a camera mode where it places you on a passenger seat window overlooking the wing. I did an entire AI flight using that camera mode.

aye, it’d be cool if that was available for every plane.

1 Like

That would be super cool

Very cool! Is this on GitHub?

It is, should be easy enough to find. I’ll do an announcement when I’m done (re)writing it.

The full tutorial/write-up is now available over on are-we-flying | Writing auto-pilots in JavaScript for MSFS