Just Flight Arrows…

Just looking for some input from those who have both products (the III and the Turbo III/IV)…
If you could do it again, would you have just bought one aircraft/package over the other? Obviously, the combination package represents good value, but I can see how the normally aspirated III could end up sat in the hangar.

I bought it on release and it cost me £2.99 for the upgrade, it was promotional, however I think you would only ever use one out of your hangar. But they are great planes to fly, even the warrior II.

Also it depends on your flying style. But I recommend Just buying III TBH

1 Like

Not at all. Below 10,000 feet there is little difference between the the NA Arrow and the Turbo Arrow, other than maintaining rate of climb to 9,500 or 10,500 feet.

The NA Arrow is a sweetheart, and after a time you’ll find you may even want to pick up the Warrior. All of the JF PA28 aircraft are extremely well finished, and an absolute pleasure to fly.

9 Likes

Thanks for your thoughts ! I guess the only real way to find out which one I prefer is to fly them all. ;). I’m downloading the bundle now.

I flew the normally aspirated III for my SE Commercial training and checkride way back in 2003/4 so I guess it is worth having in my hangar for that reason alone.

1 Like

I bought them all, myself

I flew and continue to fly the Warrior when I want a trainer. Practicing ground reference maneuvers, that sort of thing. I fly the Arrow III because that was the first Piper I could afford in Air Hauler 2.

I have yet to fly the turbos, I don’t know that I’ll upgrade to them in Air Hauler because they’re faster but carry less, but even if I never try them I love the others enough that I don’t feel ill used :joy:

3 Likes

Get the Turbo Arrows. The Turbo Arrow can go quite a bit faster at altitude (165-170 knots at 10-12k feet vs 135-140 knots in the standard Arrow) and the Turbo version has a higher service ceiling. I flew a Turbo Arrow IV during my commercial and CFI training years ago and was on the test team for the Just Flight Arrows. The Just Flight modeling is very good, and the turbo logic is spot on. The Turbo Arrow will maintain max MP up to 12,000 feet vs the normally aspirated arrow can only maintain max power at sea level pressure. I have flown normally aspirated Arrow and the Turbo version in real life and the Turbo version blows the doors off the normally aspirated Arrow.

4 Likes

It will be interesting to see the difference. I only flew the vanilla Arrow III, and only long enough to check all the required boxes for the CSEL checkride. It made the transition to the Seminole fairly straight forward when I did my Multi-Engine add on a few weeks later.

Watch this video. I forgot I made this video but it shows a lot of technical differences between the normally aspirated Arrow and the turbo Arrows by Just Flight. Just Flight Piper Turbo Arrow III/IV and Arrow III Differences - Microsoft Flight Simulator - YouTube

4 Likes

Great stuff! That is very informative. :+1: I never got the chance to fly turbo-charged piston airplanes (other than in sims).

Besides the Turbo Arrow with a fixed waste gate I flew a Cessna 404 and a 421 and those both had turbos but the wastegates were automatically adjusted. They could put out 39 and 40 inches of MP (I think) and 375 HP. It’s been almost 20 years since I’ve flown those.

That was a whole chapter of the normal pilot career progression that I somehow managed to skip. I guess I know who to ask if I have any questions about the Turbo Arrows when I start flying them. :sunglasses:

You are lucky. I have around 500 hours in 400 series Cessnas which were flown single pilot. The airlines were not where I wanted to be, so the charter/135 world was where I ended up until my current corporate jet job came to be back in 2005. What are you flying now? Feel free to ask any question you have on the Turbo Arrow. I still have the POH for it. My Discord and e-mail are on the ABOUT page of my YouTube channel if you’d rather not ask in the forum or if you want to share airplane stories that’s fine too.

1 Like

Exactly why I bought the whole package too. They’re amongst the best aircraft available imho. If you flew it at all, the Warrior is great too.

If only JF would do a Seneca II/III :grin:

I’ve got all of them and fly all of them
They are all great air craft and fun to fly in different scenarios

I enjoy both, and imo are well worth the money. Just a heads up though, over hilly/mountenous terrain with a lot of turbulence there are some jittery pitch visuals going on that are a sideffect of the flightmodel. If you fly mountains or very windy regions a lot that may be a deal breaker.
It does get less when you get above like 5-6000ft agl.

1 Like

I think I need these planes in my life lol. Watching Fabio yesterday fiddle with the GPS that had drag and create custom waypoints and save option blew me away. Is that a custom GPS mod or does that come with these planes?

I have all three JF PA28 offerings (Warrior II, Arrow, Turbo Arrows). This is my impression:

• The Warrior II is the pick of the three for realism, immersion and general feel of the aircraft to hand fly. However with fixed gear and prop it is not particularly fast and it struggles over 10,000 feet or so. It is by far the best PA28 for general messing about, circuits and short scenic flights where there are no high mountains so if you mainly like to hand fly, check out the scenery close and personal and scud run go with the Warrior.
  • The Turbo Arrow III/IV package is the pick for flying in mountains and longer flights as it performs better at altitude than the Warrior or the Standard Arrow. In particular if you tend to set autopilot and go get coffee or just fly in the high country a lot get the Turbo Arrows.
  • The standard Arrow is a fine aircraft and does perform better than the Warrior and has a CSU and RG that the Warrior II lacks, it sits between the Warrior and The Turbos in performance but despite that it is not the best choice if only buying the one JF aircraft.

Note the standard Arrow when bought direct from JF came with discount tokens to get a substantial reduction in price on the other packages. Assuming those tokens are still offered, the Arrow can be a good first purchase if you are after all three.

I would also point out that even if you have both Arrows the Warrior II is still worth getting as it is quite different to fly.

Circuit in the Warrior II …

Small question regarding Flight Arrows, What is the purpose of this handle on the right of mixture? Turbo III Fligth Arrow

It doesn’t do anything in the sim, but in real life that would control the friction of the various levers, making them easier or harder to move.

3 Likes

The rule of thumb I learned when I got my PPL was MSL Altitude X 1.5 - so… if you’re flying over a 5,000 foot peak you should be at 7,500 feet.

Since I did most of my training in a rather tired Cessna 150E it was a good thing I flew (mostly) in California’s Central Valley. It might’ve taken half an hour to get to 7,500 feet! :slight_smile:

1 Like