Just Flight - DC Designs PT-17 Stearman to be released in June

US$14.99

Thoughts?

5 Likes

I thought somewhere I had read that MSFS does not correctly model bi-planesā€¦

2 Likes

Yes, I think in every sim out there you just have to play with the flight model to increase the drag and lift of two sets of wings modelled as one and set up turning rate and all that. Maybe someone who knows this topic will explain it.

I am so ready for something like that.

Looks fantastic. Looking forward to it. Nicely priced too.

3 Likes

It apparently models biplanes as a pair of wings not two pairs.

HOWEVER my understanding is both FSX and P3D model biplanes as a single wing, not even a pair, so they are worse.

XPlane apparently does it properly.

That said if the biplane is two sets of wings one above the other without any stagger or under/over sized wings then simplifying the FM back to one pair of wings likely works fine.

Something like the Caproni CA60 might cause issues though ā€¦

5 Likes

Did it actually fly? I want that in MSFS!!! With full interior modelled of course.

1 Like

For a short time, on the first test flight it did get airborne and even got to 60ā€™ or so ā€¦ and then it crashed ā€¦ so it COULD fly but not overly happily or safely ā€¦

1 Like

Canā€™t argue with that price, definitely going to be picking this up.

Great news. The Stearman was my go-to plane in the now defunct MS ā€˜Flightā€™, and thatā€™s where my tag came from.

2 Likes

After my experience with their Arrow, Iā€™ll gladly support them on this. Loving the price too.

2 Likes

Arrow was made by Just Flight, but in the case of Stearman, Just Flight is just the publisher, but the plane is developed by DC Designs, the guys who made F-15 and are making F-14.

2 Likes

When it comes to radials or even rotary engines Iā€™m always a bit nit-picky. Itā€™s relatively straight forward and quite unspectacular to model an in-line or flat engine but a radial engine has a character that (except by A2A and PMDG in P3D) hasnā€™t really been reproduced yet. (I canā€™t talk about XPlane). A correct behaviour of an engine like this however is mandatory for me, otherwise Iā€™m not satisfied, no matter how beautiful the visual model is.

I am not at all an expert by any stretch of imagination on radials. Could you share what makes them unique? Pardon for what may seem like a silly question.

1 Like

Radials are typically much larger displacement than a typical Conti or Lycoming weā€™ve grown used to in GA aircraft. Even the smallest of radials (that I can think of) are five cylinder engines and are fairly large and heavy. But they are easy to cool, and distribute heat evenly.

In WWII Pratt & Whitney developed the R-2800 found (most famously) in the Corsair and in the P-47 Thunderbolt. These were beasts: 18 cylinders displacing 2800 cubic inches. Under War Emergency Power they would produce 1 horsepower per cubic inchā€¦ 2800+ HP, and even under normal use had a better than 1:1 horsepower/weight ratio. By contrast, the big six cylinder Conti found in the SR22 these days is 550 cu in but only produces 310 HP. Of course, itā€™s relatively light at less than 450 lbs.

Nothing sounds like a ā€œround motorā€ thoughā€¦ you can tell without looking that youā€™ve got one passing overhead. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Sound for the Continental R-670 was recorded live from Stearman PH-TOX in the Nertherlands, by Sim Acoustics, along with all other sounds in the cockpit and externally. Engine performance has been matched to the original aircraftā€™s flight documents, so that power curves etc match as closely as can be managed in the current MSFS SDK.

And youā€™re right, you can hear a radial without looking in the same way you can tell a V-Twin or triple from an in-line four without having to glance in its direction :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Canā€™t wait! This will be a blast! :smiley:

2 Likes

Your photo tells a thing or two about it :rofl:

Considering that I find myself flying WACO from Carenado quite often for some reason, I will most likely be getting this bird.

Those radialsā€¦ Your comments about the sound makes me more assured in my decision to get it :slight_smile:

Deanā€¦ how is that new SDK update with particle effects? Will you be able to create smoke effect with it?

I have not yet had a chance to look at the particle creation system, other than to know that there are no instructions for it in the SDK yet :laughing:

As soon as I know how to do it, a puff of smoke at start up would be awesome!

4 Likes