Just Flight PA-28 Arrow underpowered?

You can add 15 degrees to the OAT and that will fix it (for now). That will make the TAS numbers much more accurate. That’s why the TAS was always low because the temps were always 15 degrees too cold. Colder temperatures cause TAS to decrease and warmer temps make the TAS increase. It is set on ISA temp and not OAT. I reported it to JF also.

1 Like

I probably should but that’s what I had handy and started using first with this airplane. The actual numbers are still pretty close.

Hmm, I might be mistaken on this, but will check it when I have the chance.

I’m not sure why so many people are anticipating so much performance from the Turbo arrows. They’re designed to reduce the performance drop off at higher altitudes, but the engines are essentially rated for the same power. They might take a bit more gross weight, but they’re not going to fly much faster at all.

3 Likes

Actually, you can read out the TAS via SimConnect (e.g. in LittleNavMap) and it’s also shown in the EFB. The actual speed won’t change if you just add 15°C to the OAT, it’s just that your calculations will be correct.
The best power cruise will still be around 125-140kts depending on the altitude and OAT.

Tried your settings and I did get approx 120 TAS. I am now quite confused about temp, airspeed and altitude. My original problem was the OAT and that seems to have sorted the issue for now.

1 Like

But they go to 11.

3 Likes

I don’t know for sure, but would assume that the OAT for the simulation of performance will be as is in the weather settings for your flight (-2 degrees per thousand feet presumably). It’s almost certainly only the display on the OAT gauge that is incorrectly calibrated.

I think you are correct. The temp doesn’t change but the gauge is displaying the ISA value.

There have been reports that the Carenado pretty much ignores drag in the dirty configuration whereas gear and flaps deployed in the JF will cause a substantial change.

The Carenado seems good enough for what it is, a budget nice looking aircraft that flies like a generic low wing single but is OK for the price, especially if you just want something to mess about with and add to your hanger.

On the other hand, by all accounts, if you actually fly a real life older Piper Arrow and want something similar, the JF model is closer and worth the extra money.

Totally fine, it just seems that your POH of a 1976 Arrow is different in terms of performance a little than the ODM that JF provides.
I actually found a 1995 PA-28R which has the same charts as provided by JF, so seemingly this is a version that has been modelled by JF (hotlinks are not allowed, check the “Example POH” section for Piper Arrow PA28R-201 AFM):

1 Like

The 1995 Arrow is the new Arrow. The Just Flight version is the “old” Arrow. But I’m not saying they didn’t model it based on the new Arrow.

1 Like

Yes , i had similar results and that means whatever is “real” the difference is about 20 TAS !!!
I didnt get this plane for “speed Rides” but having the same engine with 200 hp at an almost same Model Piper Arrow III and having a difference 0f 20 TAS 8 (just because JF has an older modell with 3 Blade propeller) however sucks .
Flying in lower mountains colder than 20 ` C with 3 Passengers (in FSEconomy) ends up in a permanent 27rpm /Full throttle ride at 90-100 TAS ( 20 less than the boring looking Carenado Piper)

Please if anyone knows how to tweak this ??? ( and get 20 Tas ( I WOULD PAY FOR IT ,extra…!!!

Maybe you should simply calm down (one exclamation mark is usually sufficient).
If you’re getting 90-100 KTAS at 27.000rpm and full throttle, you’re definitely doing something wrong.
But since you don’t state full numbers like altitude, OAT, mixture etc., it’s hard to help you. Best would be a screenshot with all the main gauges visible (including the tachymeter and manifold pressure/fuel flow gauge).
I suggest you read the manual, follow the checklists and see if that helps. The manual of JF is actually pretty nice, including an instruction flight.

I usually get around 125-135 KTAS with max performance cruise (25.000rpm, rich of peak, full throttle, 75% power setup) depending on my altitude and temperature - but basically never less than that (unless I caught icing, but that’s another topic).
I also just did a FSEconomy flight with 3 passengers, where the load was slightly higher than in the charts and I went for 65% power setup, ended up with 128KTAS at 7.000ft.

… I end up at 27000rpm , 90 -100 KTAS , yes beeing around 10000 Feet , cold outside , not snow and “Icing” disabled… (only visual) ( and yes i have checked my gear)
And NO at 7000feet i dont get 135 KTAS WHATEVER i try , playing with Mixture , rpm , Full throttle and as i said compared to the carenado at the same airport , ,weather , flightdirection i defintly get 15-20 more KTAS. And somehow it seems that i am not the only one…
And yes i have read the manual ( today) and my settings seem to match , but i dont have my needle at 135…
maybe i have to wait 20 minutes till i finally get to that speed

1 Like

the needle is not KTAS, its KIAS.

at 7000 feet, 118-119 KIAS is about 135 KTAS.

You can’t disable icing. Even in “visual only” you’ll pick up ice and eventually stall - happened to me today as well. Since the model doesn’t yet support it, you don’t even see if you’re iced up.

But yeah, it seems like you simply talk about IAS instead of TAS.
And it was already said - if Carenado has 20kts higher TAS, then it’s probably plain wrong (even the Turbo Arrow IV will give you 5-10kts more TAS in the same conditions). Adjusting some values in the performance will end you up in an imbalanced unrealistic aircraft.

Despite your username, I wonder what’s the issue with the cruising speed? It’s a hobby, you don’t have to rush anywhere. Enjoy the view, try to learn navigation, etc. If you need to go fast, there’s plenty alternatives around.
Seriously… You’re complaining about correct and totally realistic numbers, I don’t get it. Maybe you should have checked the data before buying that addon if the speed is your main concern.

1 Like

Where are you reading the TAS number? If it is on the iPad, I believe that TAS number to be wrong. the OAT probe is displaying ISA not OAT. Whatever the OAT is, add 15C to it and use that new temp and set the altitude over the new temp on the airspeed indicator. See what TAS you get on the white band on the bottom of the airspeed indicator. I was using it yesterday and was getting 142 knots TAS at 11,000 feet. Try that and let us know what speed you’re getting. Screenshots are nice, too!

1 Like

I compared the data and found that the EFB showing the same TAS as LittleNavMap and it is the same as GS if you set weather without wind.

From what I understand is that the OAT gauge is wrong but also the scale of the pressure altitude on the IAS gauge - I think they are both off by the same 15°C and thus result in a consistent TAS readout (which would be the reason that testers didn’t spot this issue).
So if you read out the OAT gauge and dial in this temperature in the IAS gauge, you end up having the same TAS as shown on EFB and in LittleNavMap.

142kts at 11.000 sounds a bit too high for me (I’d expect 138 or so at best power cruise) and I guess the above is the reason.

I was not at best power cruise. I was at another power setting that isn’t in on the chart - RENTAL POWER. Adjusting the temp by 15 works and gets very close to book numbers. I am curious to see what @SPEEDWULF77 comes up with and if it helps find the actual speed.

1 Like