Keyboard "D" set heading indicator not working

Please tag your post with #pc and/or #xbox.

Are you on Steam or Microsoft Store version?
Store

Do you have any add-ons in your Community folder? If yes, please remove and retest before posting.
Done

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?
NO

Brief description of the issue:
The set heading indicator does not work when managed by the “D” key on the keyboard. I have of course check my keyboard key/action setting.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:
On Grand Caravan, hit the “D” keyboard key to set the heading indicator. It does not work.

PC specs for those who want to assist (if not entered in your profile)
Windows 10 - 64GB Memory - I9

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

Are you on the Steam or Microsoft Store version?
DVD

Did you submit this to Zendesk? If so, what is your ticket #?
NO

I can confirm the same behavior in the Cessna 172 (Classic Gauge) just checked at the moment
I’ve also checked that the key bidding is still there in Options / Controls

Is gyro drift enabled? If not, “set heading indicator” will not have any effect.

Yes, indeed, enabled since the start :

I’ve seen it both work, and not work, in the past week or so. Whenever I use “b” to sync up the altimeter setting, I also use “d” for the heading. I almost always see some correction on the altimeter but, for the majority of times, I see no correction for the heading indicator. I have seen it move occasionally though which makes me want to pay more attention to it now and whether doing the altimeter or heading indicator first makes any difference. I do mostly short flights in the steam gauge 172 so it’s possible my flights don’t last long enough for any real apparent error to creep in.

Confirm the aircraft you are flying doesn’t have a slaved gyro?
(Magnetic compass and heading indicator are increasingly diverging over time)

Thanks for the advice
Which are the ones in MSFS having such feature ?
Anyway, I will check with every single default prop and turbo-prop aircraft

I’m pretty sure that all MSFS turboprops have a slaved gyro and I assume this applies to the glass cockpit equipped aircraft as well.
The 152 and DR400 most likely don’t have slaved gyros.

1 Like

Just to mention I’ve gone out from the flight to start on another airport with the same Cessna C172 Classic and though the gyro drift was at minimum value, I really paid attention to the compass and yes I’ve seen it to be re adjusted after pressing “D”. So it could be that I’ve not really seen it properly previously
Thanks for all advices

1 Like

And just a small precision to avoid confusion :

this only remove the gyro drift gap on the heading indicator (compass, not the wet), but doesn’t set the heading bug to the current aircraft heading. This last part should be done using these binding :

Isn’t it much easier to use the mouse wheel to useadjust the heading bug?

Btw, not all aircraft have a sync heading function (and the above binding doesn’t do this either)

So, I am not alone !!!

I have this problem on the Cessna Grand Caravan .

It is fater to use “D” when for example, you want to switch from NAV to HDG - With D the current heading is set and you just have to hold it.

I don’t really understand your above post.
Looks like you have reassigned the D key.
The default D command has nothing to do with the heading bug.

Hello PZL104
The D key set the HDG value to the actual HDG value.
Suppose you have 60 in the HDG (set previouly) and your current heading is 95, hitting the D key will set the HDG value to 95.
Does this help your understanding?
Thank you for your help

As already mentioned, the D key doesn’t sync the Heading Bug to the current heading (it doesn’t sync the heading bug)
Pay attention to this while pressing the D key …

It has been 2 years, I still got the same problem.

I am flying the 787. Even I use the mouse click: hold the left button then press the right button, it did make the holding indicator light off, but the plane has no reaction at all. I spent 2 hours on this and finally it works a couple times. Now it is not working again.

It’s “Shift + D”. Not just D.

My question is though where in the aircraft would a pilot reset this?
I’ve only experienced this problem so far in the PC-6. What would the pilot control to fix the gyro drift?

Hello

SHIFT-D does not set the HDG to the current HDG…
It was doing that … sometimes ago …
But not yet