Kodiak 100 - It Done Blowed Up

So at what point are you pushing the mixture lever forward? And is it in the cut off position when you hit the starter?

2 Likes

Sorry if this annoys you, but that’s why everyone here is harping on the starting procedure: that’s not how you start a PT-6 turbine.
If you follow the procedure and the engine still “blows up”, you may consider joining the SWS Discord, but I think it’s simply procedural error:

00: fuel shutoff valves (roof) to on (green) - not depicted
0: make sure power lever is in idle, condition lever (red) and prop lever (blue) are fully aft
1: close firewall fuel shutoff valve (push)
2: fuel pump on
3. ignition on if starter “low”, with starter “high” it can stay off
4. starter “high” or “low”
5. WAIT until Ng reaches 14% , THEN condition lever (red) to LOW IDLE
6. When Ng has stabilized, starter off
7. Prop lever forward

go flying!

1 Like

As an aside, I saw the Kodiak on sale for 19.99 in the Marketplace, so got it last night. Will play with the start procedure a bit to see how it compares to say the Black Square King Air in different ambient temps. Looking forward to blowing up some engines (and flying too). :slight_smile:

1 Like

Comparing it to the videos from Missionary Bush Pilot the numbers don’t quite match the real thing. Unfortunately the ITT behaviour also is not accurate, as you will notice to be Ng limited on climbouts instead of Torque- or ITT limited, which to my understanding should only happen if the fuel governor fails. Updates are announced, unfortunately not specifically for flight model issues and PT-6 simulation, but we will see.
It’s a fun plane to fly, but takes getting used to the slow flight characteristics.

All you do is hit the starter? Hmmm no wonder it smells toasty :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Let me be more clear.
00: fuel shutoff valves (roof) to on (green) - not depicted
0: make sure power lever is in idle, condition lever (red) and prop lever (blue) are fully aft
1: close firewall fuel shutoff valve (push)
2: fuel pump on
3. ignition on if starter “low”, with starter “high” it can stay off
4. starter “high” or “low”
5. ITT immediatley goes to red and Boom! Engine blows.
6. Exit to main menu
7. Load flight plan
8. Click Fly
9. Start at step 1 again.
10. Engine blows at step 5.
11. Repeat several times. Engine eventually starts.
The best advice so far is to reinstall, which I will do today.

Do you have a Condition Lever control binding set on a peripheral that is somehow setting the condition lever to a low/high setting regardless of the position of the physical condition lever in the cockpit?

I’d do a quick check of all my peripherals — mouse, keyboard, hotas/yoke, throttle, pedals, etc. to make absolutely sure there isn’t some weird rogue binding that is allowing fuel to be introduced.

Sure, on your 5th try, or whatever, it is starting “normally”, but I’d still check my control bindings.

1 Like

Just loaded the plane and low and behold the condition lever is in low idle and not cutoff. So…as was explained ad naseum.