Kodiak Takeoff Stall

Having a new issue here that I haven’t noticed before. Immediately upon takeoff with the Kodiak she pitches up and stalls, even with full forward yoke.

I start the ground roll with heavy forward trim too as shown in the screenshot. Gently rotate at 65kias. She lifts her nose and takes off, but then the nose keeps rising despite all efforts to lower it (as I said, full forward yoke) do nothing and evenaully she stalls. I’ve tried this takeoff run 5 time with ever-increasing nose-down trim. I’ve never noticed this behavior before, anyone else encounter this? What elevator trim setting do you start with?

UPDATE: I was finally able to takeoff once beginning the takeoff roll with nearly 100% nose-down trim, as seen in the screenshot

Post a screenshot of your weight/balance screen.

1 Like

sure thing:

i wonder if the issue is with the cargo shelf having max weight, that would make the CoG pretty far back. i’ll try it again with a lower cargo weight. good lookin out

Grab the right side and expand it so that the diagram is shown. With your loadout replicated, you’re right on the ragged edge of a CG that’s too far aft. The Kodiak is very sensitive to that.

Moving the row three passengers up one row will help, along with not using the rear cargo shelf, but with passengers, you might be better off with the cargo pod so that you can load luggage closer to the front.

2 Likes

The three in the back might be causing that.

ah, but as you can see we can’t move row 3 up one as there is no row 2 with the Summit interior. The weight layout I have right now is each seat filled (minus the row 4 right) and folk’s luggage in the back as there is no cargo pod. There’s really no other way to distribute weight here unless I ask my passengers to bring less luggage, but they’re rich and don’t like to be told no :stuck_out_tongue:

I was able to fly her with this weight distribution successfully, but had to be very careful at low speeds and keep lots of nose-down trim. It’s a great example of real-world CoG issues that I haven’t run across in most other addons. Bravo to the Kodiak

One of the reasons we love the Kodiak - no faking it with the payload.

Tips:

1. dont load the cargo shelf if you can avoid it and use the cargo pod in preference (nearly all Kodiaks IRL operations have the cargo pod)
  2. Make sure your elevator control curves have been customized for the Kodiak
  3. Watch these:
    Flying the Kodiak 100 - YouTube
3 Likes

Another one.

Learn to use right rudder, a lot! I’ve seen lots of videos on YT of people taking off in the Kodiak, and looking at the turn co-ordinator they aren’t even close to co-ordinated. I’m sitting there just waiting for it to wing over to the left. :slight_smile: