Kodiak vs Caravan

I think you have a serious misconception of how aircraft are supposed to be flown.

“Even if a 182 is the only airplane you’ve flown, the Cessna Caravan will seem easy to fly. Caravan operators appreciate the consistent reliability provided by this proven, time-tested airplane.”

You don’t need to wrestle a modern aircraft in order to control it. These are not supposed to be F104 “Flying Coffins”, where you buy a lottery ticket every time you go up to see if you’ll live. This misconception that unless an aircraft demands constant hand flown corrections in order to tame it and be “in control” they are “too easy” and “boring” really needs to be put to rest. Change the weather and the workload will rise accordingly, then you will really see the benefits of the design.

They are designed to help you do a demanding job easier, not make it more difficult for the pilot to do an already demanding job. That’s why Kodiak’s, Caravans, and Porters (among others) are regularly used for the most demanding STOL transport tasks on the planet, in a variety of weather conditions.

Want a challenge? Simulate a skydive drop at 14K, and beat the jumpers to the ground. That takes some skill, and jump pilots do it 10 to 20 times a day.

Watch some of Zehr air’s videos, and note how most of the time he flies with his fingertips on the stick.

Good advice here too, from a Real life & simulator aerobatics instructor.

"In the simulator; about controllers.

Just a word or two here about controllers for you military aircraft sim enthusiasts who will end up enjoying flying a display flight in the Cloud 9 Aermacchi MB339;

I’ve been instructing real pilots in high performance airplanes most of my life, and I can tell you that if there’s one thing that relates to both real life and flying with a controller in the simulator, it’s HOW the controls are used.

Flying a high performance airplane is done with extremely subtle PRESSURES, not control movements per se’. You literally caress the stick in a high performance airplane, and this method of control usage in real life can be directly carried into your use of a controller in MSFS.

When you use a controller in MSFS to fly a high performance airplane, you have to think soft subtle pressure rather than movement of the controller. In fact, I would suggest you try flying with your fingers. Put a VERY light hand on your controllers for this type of flying. Think “pressure” and not movement!!! Be gentle!!! Actually, this is the way you fly ANY airplane, but for low altitude aerobatic work, smooth, gentle controller pressure is an absolute MUST!

The result of this “soft approach” is a corresponding reaction of the aircraft on the screen that more truly duplicates what the airplane would be doing for you in real life.

For those of you who might have a tendency toward handling aircraft in the simulator in any other way…RELAX…slow it down a bit…think PRESSURES not movement, and you will find your general sim experience instantly more correct and enjoyable and your ability to handle a high performance airplane like the Cloud 9 Aermacchi MB 339 instantly improved by leaps and bounds.

Also on controllers and display flying in MSFS

Naturally, to fly a display properly in the simulator, the better your controller setup, the more accurate and realistic the experience will be for you. Personally, considering the quality of the flight experience being made available to us these days by developers like Cloud 9, I think it’s worth the expense for the serious simulator enthusiast to consider a good stick, a separate throttle, and a set of good rudder pedals. The total sim experience available today I believe warrants this. The proper equipment completes the package for you and allows you much added immersion and realism.

“A Tutorial on Real World Air Show Display Flying and How to Create and Fly a Display Flight in the COMPLETELY NEW Aermacchi MB339 Pan by Cloud 9 in MSFS”

Dudley Henriques
Retired Demonstration Pilot
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship"

3 Likes