KSFO Landing: Crazy 150+ Knot Unrealistic Crosswind (with Video)

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

NO

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons? If the issue still occurs with no mods and add-ons, please continue to report your issue. If not, please move this post to the Community Support section.

No

Brief description of the issue:

Video says it all. METAR/RW ATIS said 4 knot winds, but seeing the whitecaps on the water foreshadowed this weather event. This was actually my second landing attempt…I was able to go-around the first time and try again, and was able to capture the vid. I didn’t know a plane could fly sideways!

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AtBLyk0ICYkBip56umBd9imdMzF0sQ?e=qOYsTV

Provide coordinates (DevMode > Options > Display position)

Provide time & date of the observed Weather issue

12:45 zulu, 11/18/2023

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

None, just a live-weather flight from KPDX to KSFO, Fenix A320.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

Current (not on SU14 beta)

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

I had the same thing happen at Leknes (ENLK) soon after taking off. If you look closely at the GTN in the following video, you can see at one point, about 400 feet AGL, the wind gets up to 372 knots. I was on Live Weather, but not live time. Also not in the Beta version.

3 Likes

I just attempted this same thing and did not experience intense wind - I wonder if you are still experiencing this?

yea i had the same thing happen to me between 7:15 to 7:30 i was taking off from ORD to BOS on the pmdg 738 and as soon i took off crazy winds came across and toss the plane all around that made the plane stall and plunge to the ground… what was all this MSFS ?

1 Like

I did a quick takeoff/landing in a Bonanza, couldn’t reproduce the issue. I had this happen one time before, like probably 2 years ago. I also remember that time that the water was very turbulent.

If you are experiencing again the same situation could you please provide a screenshot of the closest METAR station report in MSFS (in that case KSFO) ?, to check if maybe it is due to this existing bug in SU13 (fixed in SU14B):

1 Like

A malformed METAR sounds like a very feasible root cause. I’ll be sure to capture it the next time.

I’m a bit bummed because I fly on VATSIM 90% of the time, but not this time. There was definitely ATC at KSFO at the time…would have been interesting to hear the ATC chatter for this!

1 Like

Agree, I also highly suspect malformed METAR.

Contact support

I loaded into ENLK again yesterday and all seemed normal. I haven’t had a chance to fly again since my above reply, so I was able to just load in without flying. However, things seemed normal. It no longer looked as if a hurricane was blowing through. I did check the METAR while it WAS happening that day and the in-sim METAR looked totally normal, reporting winds from 240 at 6 knots. Since I haven’t been able to reproduce it either, as mentioned by SteveKane, I’ll assume it was just a bug.

I had the same thing happen on 16-NOV flying from Plymouth to Isles of Scilly. There was a very thin ground level wind layer exceeding 300 knots.

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons? If the issue still occurs with no mods and add-ons, please continue to report your issue. If not, please move this post to the Community Support section.

N/A

Brief description of the issue:

I was taking off in Barcelona and suddendly my plane was facing 90 Knots winds 200meters above ground which is impossible. It then went back to normal but almost crashed. Seems incorrect wind data in that region.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Provide coordinates (DevMode > Options > Display position)

Provide time & date of the observed Weather issue

This morning 10.30UTC

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Similar issue here. As I was landing at GFLL on live weather I suddenly hit a 200kt headwind as I passed through around1,000ft AGL. (The screenshot is taken just before my A320 started moving backwards across the ground)

Yes, 107 kt wind at ground level - YMGT Margaret River Airport Western Australia about 0900 Z

100 knots X-wind landing at YMLT tonight (1 hour ago). from about 5 miles out RWY14R to .5 miles out where wind dissipated to normal headwind.

By any chance do you have the METAR at the time you experienced the issue ? or if you experienced it again make sure to take a screenshot or provide the METAR at the airport. It could be due to a malformed METAR incorrectly parsed. If it is the root cause then devs can update the parsing logic to include those less conventional strings. The difficulty I am seeing is the multitude of combinations.

no…good point though. Too quick in Vatsim conditions to take a snapshot…it was hard enough just to recover, go around, and fly the aircraft…I dare say any pax in 30A or F would have experienced a fun ride!!
second attempt was 60 xwind, which again dissipated close to threshold.

Yes, I imagine very busy in the cockpit fighting against those crazy winds :slight_smile:. If happen again you can take a screenshot of the METAR once landed or whenever possible, can be the one from the sim or an online site since they should be the same.

1 Like