Laggy/Slow Throttle Response

I did a flight last night in the Extra 300. The throttle responded quicker, seemingly instantaneous. But, it didn’t want to settle so I found myself chasing it a little or settling for whatever rpm it ended up at. Only the one plane and I had not flown it before. So if there is a difference in the way each plane is responding to throttle inputs, well . . .

J’ai le même problème de retard sur les avions (pistons) par défaut… Je viens d’acheter le Mooney M20R Ovation de Carenado, le phénomène persiste !

having this very same issue, but with a thrustmaster joystick. Hope they fix that

Yes. For me too. Between lagging throttle and over zealous pitch, nice smooth flying in the circuit is not as easy to attain in MSFS as it is in “other sims”… or in real life!

1 Like

Oh yeah trimming correctly is always a battle I never look forward to.

1 Like

So what’s going on with this, I’m bumping.
Solution found by anyone in the community ?
It has something to do with how the animation responds to controller input for the throttle leaver.
For example, if you try to move it with your mouse, it will move as swiftly as you want it to, no problem.
The mixture leaver (I’m now focusing on Cessna 172 only) reacts normally if you check it out - no problem there, it moves without that smooth delay when you move it both with the throttle quadrant leaver or any other controller.
I gotta take a look at that code, haven’t messed with how the axes are programmed but judging by the offsets and variables captured via the FSUIPC, it should not be something out of this world.
Please keep this topic alive, this is ■■■■ important !

1 Like

Yeah…after 2 hours…I see…okay got it !
…this message window was open the whole time, haha.

By tracing the calls that the simulator makes when I do various ■■■■, I found the model behavior definitions here:

whereveryouinstalledit\…\fs-base-aircraft-common\ModelBehaviorDefs\Asobo\Common

Those are the model behavior definitions for the common airplanes, while the special ones are one level above and then “Airliner”, “GlassCockpit”, etc.

All main engine control leavers’ behavior definitions are within the “Engine.xml”.
The mixture leaver behavior they decided to separate in the “Fuel.xml” (they even made a note about that decision within the code).

Then, there’s folder “Subtemplates” !
Each of those definitions point to the so called “SubTemplates”.

"Engine.xml" for example is further defined in “Engine_Subtemplates.xml” - so various engine control levers, prop sync, cowl flaps levers, anything engine related.

"Fuel.xml" for example is further defined in “Fuel_Subtemplates.xml” - stuff like fuel valve, fuel pumps and the mixture lever is there, aswell.

In the code, they separated the types of leavers like this:

<Template Name="ASOBO_FUEL_Lever_Mixture_SubTemplate">
<Template Name="ASOBO_FUEL_Lever_Mixture_SubTemplate2">
<Template Name="ASOBO_ENGINE_Lever_Throttle_Template">
<Template Name="ASOBO_ENGINE_Lever_Propeller_Template">
<Template Name="ASOBO_ENGINE_Lever_Condition_Template">
<Template Name="ASOBO_ENGINE_Lever_Propeller_Throttle_Template">

Each one of those carry tons of subsets and also defines conditions and the links to any additional dependencies (same as the model behavior definition files express themselves in “xxx_Subtemplates.xml” files).

Every one of those sub-templates holds every offset, all events for every part, types of interaction with it, axis definitions for it, controller input deltas, points that link all the JAVA scripts that do various stuff such as define the sound when you move whatever part…and ID’s that point to the types of animations for every event of every part depending on the type of input, speed of input…like…daaaamn check this ■■■■ out, all those variables and scripts calculate everything, it’s intertwined in such a…geeez…no no these guys are legends !!

In the “Engine_Subtemplates.xml”, I find that the definition template “Lever_Propeller_Throttle” is dedicated to the prop throttle…but since we have turbo props, pistons, pistons with or without the propeller leaver…the People of the Code did some magic and basically made it to be a partial hybrid consisting of quite a number of dependencies with variables, JAVA scripts and offsets by making a bunch of carefully programmed links from other subsets of other subtemplates, mainly from:

"ASOBO_ENGINE_Lever_Throttle_SubTemplate"
"ASOBO_ENGINE_Lever_Propeller_SubTemplate"
"ASOBO_ENGINE_Lever_Condition_SubTemplate"

…the necessary model behavior animation templates are in “Animations_Subtemplates.xml” at:

whereveryouinstalledit\…\fs-base-aircraft-common\ModelBehaviorDefs\Asobo\Generic\Subtemplates

…the necessary templates for lever model behavior are in “Lever.xml” at:

whereveryouinstalledit\…\fs-base-aircraft-common\ModelBehaviorDefs\Asobo\Generic\Complex

…and there is much more, everything connected, thus making a perfect system for all possible kinds of engines and…:exploding_head:
Oh ■■■■ it this is so sick, this guys ARE INSANE AND GENIUSES AT THE SAME TIME ! :sweat_smile:

Look, they messed up and didn’t define a non-button type of input for that hybrid “Lever_Propeller_Throttle” sub-template in the “Engine_Subtemplates.xml”.
And looks like they made a mistake with placing the wrong simvars for some lever animations IN SOME cases, with some types of engine configurations and some types of input - mainly the axis input.
Every part of every lever subtemplate carries multiple conditions, like is it a lever on Boeing of Airbus or whatever…how does it behave if it is moved by using a button, or a mouse or an axis…tons of stuff.

Here is a simple example with the mixture lever with direct condition expressions…without any
"if this then go there that goes over there then comes back to do this that goes over over over there and does that that goes there and does something which then finally comes back and does the damn thing"*:

<Template Name="ASOBO_FUEL_Lever_Mixture_SubTemplate2">
	<DefaultTemplateParameters>
	<Condition Check="BUTTON_NODE_ID">
		<True>
			<Component ID="#NODE_ID#" Node="#NODE_ID#">
				<UseTemplate Name="ASOBO_GT_Anim_Code">
				<UseTemplate Name="ASOBO_GT_Lever_DraggingWheelLeftDrag_Axis">
				<UseTemplate Name="ASOBO_GT_AnimTriggers_2SoundEvents">
				<UseTemplate Name="ASOBO_GT_Visibility_Code">
			</Component>
		</True>
		<False>
				<UseTemplate Name="ASOBO_GT_Lever_DraggingYAxis_EventsSet">
					<ANIM_SIMVAR>GENERAL ENG MIXTURE LEVER POSITION:#ID#</ANIM_SIMVAR>
					<ANIM_SIMVAR_UNITS>percent</ANIM_SIMVAR_UNITS>
					<DRAG_MIN_VALUE>0</DRAG_MIN_VALUE>
					<DRAG_MAX_VALUE>16384</DRAG_MAX_VALUE>
					<DRAG_EVENTID_SET>MIXTURE#ID#_SET</DRAG_EVENTID_SET>
				</UseTemplate>
				<UseTemplate Name="ASOBO_GT_Visibility_Code">
			</Component>
		</False>
	</Condition>
	<Condition Check="HIGHLIGHT_NODE_ID">
</Template>

Now, here is the place to start for this lever issue:

<Template Name="ASOBO_ENGINE_Lever_Propeller_Throttle_SubTemplate">
	<DefaultTemplateParameters>
		<Update Frequency="1">
			(O:IsInit) 0 == if{
				1 (&gt;O:IsInit)
				(A:GENERAL ENG THROTTLE LEVER POSITION:#ID#, percent) (&gt;O:Position)
			}
			(A:GENERAL ENG THROTTLE LEVER POSITION:#ID#, position 16k) 163.84 * (&gt;K:PROP_PITCH#ID#_SET)
		</Update>
		<UseTemplate Name="ASOBO_GT_Anim_Code">
			<ANIM_CODE>
				100 (A:GENERAL ENG THROTTLE LEVER POSITION:#ID#, percent) -
			</ANIM_CODE>
		</UseTemplate>
		<UseTemplate Name="ASOBO_GT_Interaction_DraggingYAxis_Code">
			<HELPID>HELPID_GAUGE_THROTTLE_THROTTLE</HELPID>
			<TOOLTIPID>TOOLTIPTEXT_THROTTLE_THROTTLE_PERCENT</TOOLTIPID>
			<DRAG_DELTA>2</DRAG_DELTA>
			<UP_CODE>
				(A:GENERAL ENG PROPELLER LEVER POSITION:#ID#, position 16k) 163.84 (O:DragFactor) * + (&gt;K:PROP_PITCH#ID#_SET)
				(A:GENERAL ENG THROTTLE LEVER POSITION:#ID#, position 16k) 163.84 (O:DragFactor) * + (&gt;K:THROTTLE#ID#_SET)
			</UP_CODE>
			<DOWN_CODE>
				(A:GENERAL ENG PROPELLER LEVER POSITION:#ID#, position 16k) 163.84 (O:DragFactor) * - (&gt;K:PROP_PITCH#ID#_SET)
				(A:GENERAL ENG THROTTLE LEVER POSITION:#ID#, position 16k) 163.84 (O:DragFactor) * - (&gt;K:THROTTLE#ID#_SET)
			</DOWN_CODE>
		</UseTemplate>
	</Component>
	<Condition Check="HIGHLIGHT_NODE_ID">
		<UseTemplate Name="ASOBO_GT_ComponentWith_PART_ID">
			<NODE_ID>#HIGHLIGHT_NODE_ID#</NODE_ID>
		</UseTemplate>
	</Condition>
</Template>

I don’t like the use of (A:GENERAL ENG PROPELLER LEVER POSITION:#ID#, position 16k) 163.84 (O:DragFactor) …why not just 16384 for min and max drag value like every other normal axis in this world ??

And there is more to this - but I’m not a programmer !
My head hurts already - so please if the developers or anyone can solve this.

Cya ! :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:t2::tophat:

I do have the same issue, so we have to fly with this bug right?

I actually noticed this bug today. I was wondering why the 172 seems to spool up real slow. Looking down I noticed the actual throttle control moving really slow.

1 Like

Yeah it has annoyed me from the start and they haven’t even acknowledged it.

It seems if you click and drag the throttle it moves just fine.

Glad I found this. Thanks to @Vincent1064 for the video as there are other threads discussing similar but different things and people getting confused about curves. This is pure timelag and I get the same with a custom made C172 throttle. Now I know there’s a bug report I’ll relax and accept it until its fixed as it needs to be.

I’m not sure you can relax expected a fix somewhere. The Zendesk has been automatically closed and it sounds so minor compared to other bug fixes and features list that… I wouldn’t expect anything soon. Ok, let’s bet I’m wrong :wink:

Maybe if you create a Zendesk as well. One more… One more…

Hi there, is there any prediction for the correction of the throttle bug? Is impossible to make another flight with the simulator open, you always need to reboot the sim… This issue if I’m not mistaken exists in the whole life of the simulator, unfortunately.
Regards.

Issue seems to be fixed now after su5. Much better. But this lag issue still persists with brakes.

Still have the same issue in Update 5, actually impossible to play (Cessna 172, 150) at all with this lag (Throttle VPC MongoosT-50CM3). I have also X52 Pro throttle and it works without any issue.
In X-Plane, for example, VIRPIL throttle working just well.

I don’t see nothing on the “snapshot” about this issue!!!
Hope somebody did go to “zensesk” for this . For me I didn’t have any issues with this before update 5.
Flying the FBW A320 is a pain. you have to move the throttles for a few second for the sim to pick it up!!

It seems it’s fixed after WU6 !

Has this been fixed? I’m running the latest update and the throttle response still lags (at least in the C152). Really annoying as this doesn’t happen in a real life C152. Just flew circuits in real life yesterday in a C152 and the throttle definitely doesn’t lag this much. Would really appreciate a fix.