Lakes and Rivers Still Frozen

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

No

Brief description of the issue:

Flying from Oslo to Bergen every single lake and river I saw was still frozen over

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Provide coordinates (DevMode > Options > Display position)

Provide time & date of the observed Weather issue

20/02/24 0000z

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Are you using DX11 or DX12?

DX12

Are you using DLSS?

No

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

contact support

Hello folks,

As a reminder, if any public testers encounter issues with the SU_15 beta (either regressions from the live build or items in the patch notes that are not fixed as described), please notify us here in the beta forum; do not submit a tech support ticket.

Thanks,
MSFS Team

1 Like

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Can reproduce OP report most of the route but:
Since we don’t know if the snow thickness onroute reported by Meteoblue is less than 72cm, we cannot determine if it is correct or not to have those frozen lakes/rivers. Maybe there is a way in the dev mod to get that data ?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

20/02/24 0100z (time changed to daylight to see the ground)
All lakes/rivers frozen most of the route but toward the end, lakes/rivers became water
ENGM → ENBR
Live Weather

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

1st lake on the route

Toward the end of the route, lakes/rivers became water

1 Like

At Valdes (PAVD) the ocean is also frozen at 0°C.
With preset weather:

And live weather

Same at Rothera Station in antarctis, but maybe the surrounding ocean around the airport is frozen in winter?
Preset weather:

Real weather:

1 Like

Interesting comparisons. It would be good to know if in dev mode there is a way to get the snow thickness at a specific location (I searched but did not find).
Maybe in custom weather snow is less than 72 cm and in Live, Meteoblue is reporting >72 cm.

These are not in the sim, but…
For the US:

Daily U.S. Snowfall and Snow Depth | National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI) (noaa.gov)

National Snow Analyses - NOHRSC - The ultimate source for snow information (noaa.gov)

For Norway:
Yr - Snow depths in Norway

SeNorge - Snow maps and climate maps in Norway

Other countries national weather services probably have similar websites, though I have not searched.

1 Like

Svalbard airport right now

And this is the live webcam of the Svalbard port of Longyear. Definitely not frozen :slight_smile:

I do wonder why they use snow hight as the proxy to identify if water bodies are frozen. I would think that average 24h air temperature with thresholds defined for sweet and salt water would be a less crude proxy.

That’s what I thought too, first they should be able to distinguish between lakes and sea, second as a remedy they could use some kind ice exclusion masks maybe even from the world hub which select coastal areas where water never freezes despite the snow levels or low temps

There is another bug that likely confounds this bug. See also this issue I just opened up: Snow maps interpreted incorrectly