Lakes of Norway

The elevation of the small lakes of Norway (and elsewhere, perhaps) is wrong. Flying this beautiful scenery, some small lakes appear like on the top of a huge “mesa” mountain, or deep in a big hole.
Obviously this is a common problem as several reported it. When will it be fixed ?

1 Like

Seems the same at high latitudes anywhere in the world. I expect it is a global error in the terrain mesh, possibly caused by longer shadows being interpreted as elevation. Fairly common problem which you can see often with aerial imagery, you know, when a crater looks like a dome etc. because of shadow effects.

On www.flightsim.to you will find fixes for it.Search for Norway.

Scott

1 Like

That’s all nice, and I love that the community steps in.
But I expect the base sim to have corrections instead of us having to do what we did in the olden days:
Searching for freeware fixes on various flightsim sites.

Fixes by the developers are a long way off so if you want a solution, community mods is the way to go.

1 Like

Thank you everyone for your advices. I will follow them.

1 Like

In time lots of these things may get fixed by the developers but as someone who has created fixes for the River Thames and Around the coast of Japan I probably have easily over 100 hours in them and have only completed one pass round japan will need to go around atleast 3 times to fix all that I was planning to.

Basically what I’m saying I’m not sure people realise just how long it can take to fix just one relatively small area of the world.
Unless it’s something they adjust in the ai that can correct any issue’s.
With the issue with water hills, on one of my airport add-on’s I fixed all the water hills and ground holes manually on one Island and it took a long time but there is another add-on that has created an add-on that automatically adjusts all the water hills but says on there it’s not perfect and not as good as manually fixing them but an improvement over default.

3 Likes

Not just high latitudes, also happens at many parts along the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon in Arizona.

I absolutely understand how long it takes, I have first hand knowledge of it terraforming rivers. I am also using polys to remove tress then placing new polys to make specific trees show up in the right places, that too is very slow and very laborious. But the results are awesome.

1 Like

And what these places have in common is lower quality satellite / aerial imagery.

In northern latitudes, you have snow coverage 7+ months of the year, and the snow-free months typically have a lot of cloud cover. Hence why northern areas have poor quality imagery. In the case of the Colorado river, it winds its way through the deepest canyon on the planet, making it very difficult to get accurate, high quality aerial and satellite imagery.

In both cases, the AI has a hard time interpolating this low res data to create realistic landscapes.

2 Likes

Hello,
I have moved your post to Bugs & Issues. I also think this is the same issue:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/how-common-is-the-lake-height-bug/319346

Your best option is to log a Zendesk bug. Although the devs to visit the forum there is no guarantee that they will see any particular bug reported here, whereas they will in Zendesk.

Thanks for reasonable explanation. Wrong height data degrade the sim and is immersion killer like these.

7000 feet tall trees or something like that on the prairie of Minnesota. I already submitted the report to Zendesk and hope they remove them as soon as possible…

Searched as suggested. Only two entries for Norway for MSFS. Neither was relevant to this issue.

3rd row down is 3 related to lake elevation, below that is my ENHF and scenery fix though this may clash if used together would have to test it out.
Flightsim.to • Norway Scenery for Flight Simulator 2020

1 Like

Hello there!

What lakes are you seeing that have this issue? Would like to see if this issue is still happening today!

Cheers! :airplane: