Landing on a platform with a diameter of 131ft (40m)

3 Likes

Now, land on it.

With a helicopter it might be possible. But we do not have one.

Challenge accepted!

3 Likes

Good job! You need to fly with the Bush League Legends.

2 Likes

@SkipTalbot Did you made this landing with all damage options on?
Or did you place your aircraft there with the “slew mode”?
Please be honest.
I tried landing on it several times. But without success. I always crashed.

You must turn crash damage off, but once you do, the ground roll seems to work as if you’re on the ground like normal. I dragged it in full flaps with some power and was flaring at a full stall just over the lip of the roof. I’ve been using soccer fields as STOL practice airstrips, and that roof is well within the landing capabilities of the sim’s Shock Ultra.

Oh, no, don’t turn off the crash damage. I tried it today again and now at least I am able to land on the neighbor building with all damage options turned on.
So with a bit of practice it should be possible to land on the spot without turning anything off.

Btw, the real Logo has in real life a diameter of 40 mt (131 ft).
And on the webpage of the real “Shock Ultra” aircraft I read this:

REQUIRED LANDING SPACE (SINGLE PILOT) < 16 mt (51 ft)
REQUIRED LANDING SPACE (MTOW) < 33 mt (105 ft)

It depends on the roof it seems. I tried several times on different roofs, and some it’s always insta-crash, and some it’s like you’re landing in pudding or something. The sim wasn’t designed for it, which is understandable. Unfortunately some of the instant crash places are photogrammetry ships with helipads or carrier flight decks. So I just turn crash off if I’m trying a stunt like this now. It’s not like you’re really “cheating” because, crash or not, a botched landing means you’re not sitting on three wheels on the top of the roof. You either hit the building face first, flipped, or rolled off the other end.

Yeah you can definitely do a lot better than 16 meters in the Shock Ultra. I questioned the realism, but I’ve seen some gnarly videos of these planes in real life where they’re pretty much planting them like a helicopter. Adding power on the flare so you can go nose high, so you’re almost landing on the tailwheel, can really arrest your forward speed.

Okay, today I tried it again, with all damage on and I did it. The las days I tried it only in VR in the cockpit. Today I tried it on normal screen and from the outside. That was easier for me as I could estimate the distances better. And as there was some room in front of me it should be possible to land on smaller spots, 1/3 shorter would be still doable I guess.

Btw. taking of was no problem at all:
Savage Shock Ultra
REQUIRED TAKE OFF SPACE (SINGLE PILOT) < 28 mt ( 90 ft)