Landing physics: float in ground effect

Spoilers (not speed brakes) are normally used, along with the ailerons, for roll control, including with flaps down for landing. If you are preventing the spoilers from being used, you are simply trading one poor implementation for another.

It’s preventing the spoilers from being used in a fashion that rams you into the ground. To be frank, when you still have to correct this harshly over the runway, you probably weren’t stabilized on approach anyway and should’ve gone around.
Landing the big birds shouldn’t be easy. That’s what makes it satisfying in the first place.

A “Ground Effect bug” is not on the list of planned fixes.

it dosent slove the issue with the ground effect but thanks for the answer with the hot fix

@JeffreyCobra ok that is sad :confused: But can we as Community voted it up? so it will maybe come on the planned fix and bug list

Having myself been away from flight simulation for a couple of years before purchasing this new iteration of Flight Simulator (FS2004, FSX, P3d V3, P3d V4 for many years before I drifted away) I have never had as much bother landing an airliner before.

I use a Saitek X52 controller, which I’m very happy with and have always found airliners in the other sims very easy to control with this setup. I always land manually, however the 747-8i in the new Flight Simulator is uncontrollable. The rudder is ridiculously sensitive (and I have altered all of the sensitivity settings for my controller and still cannot find a nice setting in this sim for the airliners), and the elevator and ailerons are too sensitive in my opinion, but I feel that it gets worse as the plane gets closer to touching down.

Every time I rotate at touchdown the plane starts lifting again and gains some altitude - it is incredibly annoying - I haven’t experienced this to this extent in any of the other sims, and I pretty much only fly large aircraft in those sims (Antonov AN-124, Ilyushin IL-76, Boeing 747-400, Tupolev Tu-22M, Tupolev Tu-160, Tupolev Tu-154).

I watched a video on YouTube of someone landing the A320 and he said that the plane feels like it’s filled with helium - and that’s exactly how I would describe how the airliners feel in this sim. (Well maybe not the 787 after completely losing the elevators below 150kts).

I have the PMDG 747-400 for FSX and having flown it again for the first time in about 4 years (I stopped using FSX after I got P3d V3) I found it very easy to manually land. I can consistently get touchdowns of around -100fpm (measured in Landing Rate Monitor), however in FS2020 I don’t even want to measure them because they’re horrible landings. The PMDG 744 is very nice to control and predictable, I cannot say either about the FS2020 748 unfortunately.

I am not a pilot so I can’t say how something should feel, but I’m absolutely sure the airliners don’t handle properly in this sim.

2 Likes

My only comment is that the C172 does handle remarkably similarly to its real world counterpart, especially in landing.

As for whether or not the ground effect is exaggerated for low wing airliners is another story. That being said I haven’t had any trouble with the airliners in MSFS, although it did take some getting used to after years in FSX.

1 Like

I think they maked the ground effect unfortunately to strong:/

Just because a particular issue is not on the voted bugs and issues lists doesn’t mean that it isn’t being worked on. I think you are better off making a detailed Zendesk report if you haven’t done so already.

So i have the bug with the Ground Effect reported on Zendesk. I hope we will se in a future Update a improvment of that Ground Effect

2 Likes

Hi,

the Ground effect maked it impposible to land a Airliner sucessfully. It means at or under 100ft to the ground the Airliner like a320 or a b787 is uncontroolable and steer the aircraft mostly to the left side and a input from the joystick to the right side on this time no more function. I hope it will be soon fixed in an futer Update.

Best greetings

Legendsy

Who have the same struggle with the Ground Effect at all landings with an Airliner?

It appears that the ground effect tables with multiple points in previous sims have been replaced with the following in the ‘flight_model.cfg’ file:

lift_coef_ground_effect_mach_table = 0.054:1.25

Presumably, either

1. it is possible to add further points to this line and wasn’t deemed important enough for the default aircraft or
  2. ground effect is another of the pre-defined behaviours which will treat all aircraft identically no matter their actual aerodynamic properties.
5 Likes

Drives me crazy. Thanks for the ground_effects tip

Oh it’s not me! First time flying the CJ4 for the current landing challenge and I was amazed how far the CJ4 with speedbrake on full and full flaps will continue to float down the runway with the stall warning blaring. Like you, I feel the need to fly it into the runway and pitch further down at initial wheel contact to keep it from bouncing.

1 Like

Interesting. I don’t have the SDK or any data recording tools for the sim, but for what it’s worth I tried a few different values in lift_coef_ground_effect_mach_table and wasn’t able to notice any difference while flying the length of the runway at a given height + airspeed + power setting in the TBM. I arbitrary tried 0.027:1.25, 0.054:1.25 (default), and 0.054:0.

I always find when trying different values in config files to go extreme with the changes. This way you can see if it actually has any effect at all rather than trying to hit the right number and wonder if the change did anything at all. Your changes seemed fairly close to the default values… go big, whats the worst that can happen?

I notice the same G/E floating everywhere I land and it’s consistent. In the R/W it changes with density ALT, runway type and temperature etc… But we certainly cannot expect the development team to address all of those variables! Having said that, landing the CJ at Jackson Hole at the correct speed, the plane shouldn’t float as much as it does. Even at near stall, pulling back over the runway still gives plenty of float - enough to overshoot the target. I’m not game to play with those figures but maybe the geniuses in development can reduce G/E a little??

Massive changes first, see if the plane reacts, then you know its working.

I’ve played with this one on a few planes and it seems to work. Convert kts to Mach value, and your lift factor value. There seems to no limit to the table, either, with-in reason.

In general, ASOBO has still has a real “weight and inertia” issue with all planes, and they feel like they float on a string almost and won’t settle down on the run-way.

Drag is another that is not really well accounted for.

Anyway, light reading:

2 Likes

Also note:

1 Like