LANDINGS Boeing 747 - too fast considered a crash

I’ve fixed the crash due to object collision :slight_smile:

You need to enter a higher vertical speed than 0 at the contact points sections and voila, you get an awful scraping noise when when you are dragging the wing along the runway, but no crash.

If you are interested I can post the required cfg changes.

I will file a zendesk report because I’m pretty sure that the crash at 0 ft/min isn’t intentional.

If you can send me details how to fix this?

What do you mean with VS 0? Does it mean it’s not realistic afterall?

I will file a zendesk report because I’m pretty sure that the crash at 0 ft/min isn’t intentional.

What do you mean by that?

I’ve checked a few other MSFS aircraft and they all have e.g. a 300ft/min limit to trigger a crash.
If you e.g. slam e.g. the TBM wing onto the runway with less than 300ft/min you will get a scraping noise, but no crash.
If the wing hits harder than with 300ft/min you will crash.

On the 747 most vertical speed values are 0, which means that a crash is always triggered as soon as there’s contact with an object.

I’ve mentioned this bug already in my first reply.

To be fair I think the FS2020 “crash limit” (for want of a better description) is a little too generous.

I’ve had plenty of “lazy landings” where I literally just threw a plane onto the tarmac going way too fast, with too high a rate of descent and/or daft bank and once the wheels are on the ground it’s as if the runway sucks you in and makes it all better…where in real life the undercarriage would likely have collapsed or I would be a cartwheeling ball of fire rolling across the airfield.

The vertical speed limit for the 747 is set at 1500ft/min might be a bit optimistic, but you can decrease this value of course :wink:
The 747 should be able to absorb at least a 1000ft/min touchdown without immediate structural failure.

I think the crashes almost never get detected. That’s why I turned off crashes. I came in and landed at 600 fpm, and the game thought everything was perfectly fine. In real life, that’s basically pancakeing the jet into the ground. As soon as I saw that crash detection didn’t detect it, I immediately turned it off cuz it’s useless.

Then you are talking about vertical speed…
banking to left or right detects easier a crash if you compare it to fs x

Wrong assumption. See my above reply.
EXTREME LANDING!! silkway Boeing 747 terrifying HARD Landing at Amsterdam airport schiphol (HD) - YouTube

Again, that’s because the vertical speed is incorrectly set to 0 in the 747.

Yes… but you said that is normal in real life. And now you say it’s incorrectly set?
Srry for all my questions

What is normal IRL ? Can you explain?
Since my first reply I’m stating the same things over and over again.

Yes you are right. I confused it with another post.
Thank you for the effort!

1 Like

Did some quick maths and with a margin of error of about 100 or so fpm, that video you linked shows that plane coming in at about 400 (±100) fpm, which is a severely hard landing. Any sink rate more than 240 is considered a hard landing for an airliner. Boeing designs it’s aircraft to have a maximum sink rate of 600 fpm on landing, so just by that alone, I should have been considered a crash.

If you’ve been doing 700 fpm landings this whole time thinking they’re swell because the crash detection didn’t call you out on it, I’ve got news for you. You’ve crashed the plane on every landing.

You touched down with a sink rate of 600ft/min and Boeing designs it’s landing gear for a sink rate of 600ft/min, so I don’t see why this should have been a crash.

Concerning the design limit, you apparently don’t know about the different limits in aircraft design.
Furthermore there’s a significant difference between immediate structural failure and structural damage which will affect the airframe over its lifetime.

Bye

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.