Landmark Navigation Training Altitude Bug (No Pun Intended)

Do you have any add-ons in your Community folder? If yes, please remove and retest before posting. No

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it? No

Brief description of the issue: When completing the landmark navigation training activity, I carefully and closely follow all of the directions, but result in a poor score tied to power settings and altitude. Additionally, while the activity is beginning, the altimeter is spinning up/down from the last place in the previous attempt slowly like it is trying to reach field altitude before it begins. Something is offā€¦

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

PC specs for those who want to assist (if not entered in your profile)

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue: 1.18.14.0

Are you on the Steam or Microsoft Store version? MS Store

Did you submit this to Zendesk? If so, what is your ticket #? No

Update: It seems that the altitude is holding from the previous activity across all of the activitiesā€¦

I get a similar result in this training course. For some reason I get a very bad score in reaching the altitude asked for even though I reached it quickly and maintained it throughout the flight.

Yeah, thereā€™s an issue with this lesson; thereā€™s no reconcilable way to get anything more than a B

1 Like

Iā€™m also unable to get a good score in this training. Looks like the desired 8500ft is not to actual altitude your instructor want you to fligh in order to get a good score for altitude hold. You can also hear like a lot of ā€˜pingsā€™. The same ping can be heard when you meet the requirement for an objective and you get a green marker in the top right of your objectives.
So itā€™s definetly a bug where the meeting criteria are differently programmed the whatā€™s written in the objective tab.

Glad to see other people have this issue. Iā€™ve done this lesson over and over to try and get an A. Has this been confirmed as a bug?

What I found by experimentation is that the scoring is based on how fast you get there, rather than if you get there close to the predicted time (which makes no sense and seems like a bug) To get an A, I set full power immediately, so I had lots of energy when it asked me to climb and then when it told me to go to 2300 rpm I did, and then as soon as the box was ticked I went right back to full power, presto instant A.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s a lot of problems with the tutorials AFAICT.

I had a similar problem with the positioning over the runway exercise because I dutifully held 80 kts just like in the prior exercisesā€¦ When I finally got frustrated and decided to ignore the prior training and hold max throttleā€¦ presto Instant A.

The first landing session (where you are not supposed to touch power or flaps) also proved impossible because it seemed to start at too high of an altitude. Any time I followed the instructions to the letter with green boxes all the way, I wound up 80% down the runway and no stopping distanceā€¦ After crashing twice and seeing a similar result happening I got frustrated and said, ā€œā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  Iā€™m not crashing again! Iā€™m going around!ā€ā€¦ And suddenly my score jumped 1kā€¦ to get an A I gamified it againā€¦ I followed instructions, keeping boxes green till the box ticks (for maintain 65kts and aligned) Then I did a go-around before the next box comes up, set my self up at a lower position, managed throttle, and landed carefullyā€¦ Presto Instant A on the ā€œdead stickā€ tutorial. Prior to that my best score was on a wild not at all stabilized landing where my thrashing around had probably cost me significant altitude. The more controlled my landings got the worse my score, and the less stopping distance which was extremely frustrating.

1 Like

Yes, that worked for me. Thanks!

Same Problem

Thanks! Worked for me as well, this is definitely a bug. The faster you get there the higher the score. I event turned left early and floored it.

Thereā€™s another bug in the initial conditions for this course. I have a Honeycomb Alpha Flight Controls XPC (Iā€™m on an Xbox X) with Bravo Throttle Quadrant + Thrustmaster rudder pedals. When the session starts the setting of my throttle is ignored. I have to move the throttle through a significant range and back again for the sim to detect to the actual throttle setting. I believe the same is true for the mixture setting.