Landscape in Brazil … "Elevation lines" everywhere. Interesting "geo-cultural" Feature

I am on a big tour around Brazil these days … and it is an amazing country with fascinating landscape.

But there is one thing that I noticed which is really “puzzling” me.
I have the feeling that the “elevation” map (lines) are “baked into the landscape” (perhaps into the satellite images ?)

Here is one example from my todays tour from Corumba (SBCR) to Sao Paulo (SBSP) …

… and there are countless others … it is everywhere … many even way more “extreme” in the clarity of those lines.

I can see similar ground structures in Google maps images so it clearly is not a MSFS / Bing “issue”.

It could be a very specific feature of the soil in that region … I think I heard once that the humus layers are not very think, so the underlying rocks might cause very visible differences in the water carrying capacity … which then is reflected in vegetation … or whatever.

So my question is mainly … is anybody here from Brazil?
… and do you see those lines in the real country side too?

MSFS is a truly fascinating way to explore spaceship Earth.

Could it be a terracing-farming technique for that area? Specific to a certain kind of crop?

There are bushes in those fields, though.

1 Like

At first I was thinking something similar like you, @MarkRWatney … but those features are basically everywhere.

I was thinking that it might be a special form of argiculture practice. Tracktors moving along elevation lines for easier handling or something like that, which after decates is manifested in soil compression etc. But it is everywhere, even when the terrain is not very steep.

Here is one more example …

… and another one (little closer to Sao Paulo) …

Why not check with Google Maps and Bing for the area around where you are flying ?
I see a town there, next time can you take the name of the town you’re flying over ?

By looking some google pictures of soy and sugarcane fields in brazil, I would say this is just their way of cultivating stuff. It could make sense as there is no “regular plot” in this countryside…

2 Likes