Laptop buyers beware; comparison between laptop and desktop performance (RTX 3070)

Just saw this benchmark between 2 laptop variants of the RTX 3070 (80W and 115W) and the desktop counterparts.

Even though all are called ‘RTX 3070’, the laptop variants will perform between 11 and 81% worse than the desktop counterpart (53% slower on average for the 80W version, 35% slower on average for the 115W version).
If you are buying a laptop, please take note of the listed maximum power draw for the GPU, and be aware that not all RTX 3070’s are alike.

RTX 3070 mobile at 80W vs. the desktop variant:

RTX 3070 mobile at 115W vs. the desktop variant:

NVidia is making it pretty hard on customers to see what they’re purchasing. Watch the last third of the video for more info on that.

nothing new, if ppl dont know laptops are slower than desktop…rolls eyes.

1 Like

It’s not only that, it’s that a laptop 3070 at a low power target can be slower than a laptop 3060 at a higher power target.

Very true… just compare the size of the power supplies between laptops and desktops–you’ll see where the problem is…

Honestly, SFX power supplies like the one I run in my 3700X + 3080 FE rig are smaller than laptop power bricks. The cooling solution is the bigger issue I believe.

Just as important as the parts themselves is the thermal performance. I used to work from a laptop, and had some top-spec ones, but the thing that kills a laptops performance is when it can’t get rid of the heat, and throttles down instead.

Performance can be great for intermittent “sprints” of work, or the first 5 minutes under load, but two identical chips can yield very different results after that, if one is in a small constricted space, and the other in a well ventilated/cooled cabinet.

even then… a desktop 3070 pulls 200+W, a laptop one is cut down a bit on the hardware side, and pulls 115-130W max. So even the short bursts will be slower than the desktop variant.

Yep, we laptop users know that, performances between mobile and fix versions are different, and can be easily checked on the videocardbenchmark.net site.
Mobile chips have a different naming, with “mobile” or “m” appended to the reference

For instance, for the 3070: GeForce RTX 3070 vs GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU [videocardbenchmark.net] by PassMark Software

The marks ratio give an indication about the framerate difference you can expect

1 Like