Larger ocean and sea waves with slower wind speeds

After reading this thread, I found a stormy spot near ocean hoping to see waves. Unfortunately, visability was so bad there was nothing to look at.

Probably because bumping threads (or petitioning for votes) is against the forumā€™s rules. I think the only instance where this would be acceptable is when a thread is about to be locked due to going without any reply for 30 days.

When you want to participate, just post your opinion without stating that you are bumping the thread.

Youā€™re not allowed to post reply for the purpose of bumping threads. Your post need to have genuine content.

Iā€™m not seeing the same problem as you are though. I set wind to have 150 knots, and the waves are taller than my aircraft sitting on the runway. Even the runway is flooded from the huge water waves.

This thread is about the appearance of waves at lower wind speeds though. It takes too much wind speed to make the water not look like a mirror at medium to higher altitudes.

150 knots is a ridiculously high speed value, and even the developers do not seem to pay much attention to it (the wave glitches I reported back in September 2020 are still there).

2 Likes

Indeed, at the moment, at my countries coast line its windspeed is 22 km/u, 13mph, its nothing. If i look at a webcam pointed at the sea, you can see waves, with foam up to 20 meters into the sea. In the sim right now, you only see that on the textures of the ground they used.

2 Likes

Would love to have larger, more realistic waves in seas and oceans at lower wind speeds.

Not sure if it has been mentioned here yet, but one way to do this would be to use Meteoblue swell/wave data as mentioned here: Swell and waves modeling using Meteoblue data

3 Likes

I have complained about this almost from Day One, but Update 5 seems to haver fixed this defect ā€“ at least for me. With realistic wind speeds (10-20 mph) I now see realistic wave action. The related thing that also seems to be fixed: previously, you couldnā€™t control the plane if you had set realistic wind speeds.

same. the glass mirror like ocean look is totally unrealistic. I also donā€™t want to just crank up the wind a little, because I want to fly on vatsim and have real world weather.

1 Like

Thanks just voted!

Voted. Hopefully weā€™ll some day see more realistic water than ocean surfaces that look like scenic mirror lakes.

1 Like

I just posted about this as well, itā€™s ridiculous that you need extremely high winds to see any waves. The ocean is always movingā€¦so letā€™s get moving on this asap. We are tired of these glass oceans.

It is , Probably, all about performance ! ā€¦
Introducing more active action demands more performance and they have to keep the masses happy, promote the product and keep system performance demands down. Thus, that is what we getā€¦ for now.

Iā€™m not so sure the sea is that unrealistic, when I lived on the IOM I flew over plenty of heavy seas and unless the sun is reflecting then from 1000 feet all that you really see is the white caps. The places you get towering surf are pretty infrequent unless thereā€™s big storms that you should be avoiding anyway. Breakers on the shoreline however but I think thereā€™s a lot more that needs attention before this.

+1 for this.

Currently the sea state does not correlate with the rest of the weather/clouds in Live Weather. You can see from this gloomy weather that there would at least be a light-gentle breeze at the Ground Wind level (i.e. 4 m/s minimum).

Hereā€™s what that would look like with similar weather with ground wind set to 4 m/s.

Glassy lakes and sea states clearly do exist in reality but youā€™re much more likely to see waves so I think the sim should be setting a default of 3 m/s minimum (the top end of a Light Breeze on the Beaufort scale) for any weather station where it doesnā€™t have associated Ground Wind speed data. Existing historical data could help supplement any missing ground wind data in different geographical areas too (assuming thatā€™s the challenge here). For example, in 2021 the average UK wind speed was 7.9m/s. For reference that looks like thisā€¦

So I too hope that this can be fixed for live weather. In the meantime I normally use one of several custom presets with the ground wind at 3+ m/s.

Thanks,

Chris @ Seafront Simulations

6 Likes

I worked on cruise ships for many years and itā€™s always more windy at sea than it is on land. The waves look awesome if you manually turn up the wind. Does Asobo use any kind of global wind current data for live weather? It needs to. What a waste of the awesome waves if it doesnā€™t render them at sea. 30+ kt winds at sea can be typical.

2 Likes

Just bumping this on the list againā€¦

It would be great if Asobo could ingest a feed of maritime/nautical weather reports and reflect the sea state correctly. Images work best sometimes, so hereā€™s an example from a pleasure flight at the weekend.

Simā€™s sea state with Live Weather enabled

The way it was supposed to look

Manually Corrected based on the National Weather Service Marine Forecast from the US NOAA (noaa.gov) - winds at 20-30 knots. For this I added a 20kts (10m/s) ground wind with 10, 30kts (15m/s) gusts a minute.

And another - this time Miami with Live Weather enabled

And the way it was supposed to look

It would really add to the immersion and realism :slight_smile: if you could add this.

5 Likes

Wind has very little effect on the environment in MSFS in general. Trees start moving from winds of 50 knots. With slower moving wind trees are static. And that should also be improved

4 Likes

It is not my intention to merge topic together but my findings can be found here

But since there is some similairs on these topics i would like to bring it under yours attention

1 Like