Latest Preview of the Piper Turbo Arrow from Just Flight

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020’s next special release from Just Flight has been planned towards “The Arrow Turbo” which has been the next focus towards development.

Both the models, Piper Arrow Turbo three and four are right now in the final stages of development ready to be released this week. A four seater, turbo charged piston engine aircraft that is equipped with a retractable tricycle landing gear which is ideal for a weekend long trip.

There are a few minor things that are pending fixes and once they are in the stages of finalizing, they would then decide on making it official.

There is quite some difference between the version two as well as three and four. Larger fuel tanks that gives you capacity to go longer distances and a semi-tapered wing along with a long stabilator that can improve low speed handling.

With a range of 695 nautical miles and a ceiling limit of 20,000 feet, this can be a good companion for weekend getaways. The fuel capacity is set at 77 gallons, approximately 292 liters.

It comes with 5 paint schemes for each variant from different countries that include the US, Germany, UK, Switzerland and Australia.

6 Likes

Must clean the mould and mildew from my debit card…

2 Likes

Looks like pretty much a copy-paste of the earlier Arrow. Good that they give a hefty discount for previous owners.

2 Likes

I don’t really get the purpose of the plane compared to the normal Arrow III in MSFS. As far as I understand the main advantage is slightly improved rate of climb and better high-altitude performance (which IRL you could only use in combination with oxygen masks at 20.000+ ft). Top speed and low-altitude performance are rather similar. Could someone maybe educate me, please? Why should I buy the Turbo Arrow in addition to the Arrow III?

3 Likes

Better climb (steady state) is about it. As you mention, O2 needed above 10,000’ for pilots, and IIRC the service ceiling - even for the Turbo - is 16,000’ (may be wrong about that.)

I think a “turbo normalized” model would be to your advantage if you lived in Denver or Colorado Springs; you’d get better performance on takeoff at those elevations.

Edit: just looked it up… service ceiling is 20,000’ for both the Turbo III and Turbo IV.

2 Likes

Thanks. Then I guess I don’t need it. I fly almost exclusively VFR with the Arrow.

1 Like

Remember it’s 66% off if you own the non-turbo version.

I’ll definitely be getting it :man_shrugging:t3:

Another Arrow III user here.

Happy to hear this will be released soon. I think Just Flight did a tremendous job with the Arrow III and have been very responsive with updates and extras (GTN750, texture improvements) - given there’s a 66% discount for Arrow III owners I’ll happily pickup the new Turbo to enjoy it and to support a developer that I feel really deserves it.

Do I ‘need’ it? Probably not. :slightly_smiling_face:
Thanks for linking the video!

1 Like

If you search the internet on real GA pilot forums or articles you can wrap yourself an idea around the turbo vs NA dilemma.
From what I understood the turbo is bought mostly when the typical mission involves high altitude airports or flying above mountains (e.g. rockies, pacific north west, alps).
I must admit that, as much as I love JF Arrow, I am very torn in deciding about this one, most of all because I added a normalized turbo to mine copying a bit from the work done on the turbo Bonanza but keeping the 4 cylinder lycoming instead of the 6 cyl that I think is used in the real Turbo Arrow. Mine is not 100% real but I was just interested in having some additional oompf for crossing the Alps or Italian lakes region. Speeds, climb rates and consumption remain identical to JF original values.
From what I understand JF Turbo is not a normalized one and uses the 6 cylinder and brings also the T-tail option. Engine damage should also be modelled if abusing the turbo too much (again, the real turbo arrow is not normalized so overboost and damage can happen)
I know we get a 66% discount but, again, I am very torn about spending for a different 3d model, paintjobs and a new Overboost warning indicator.
Let’s see how much added value there will be over the regular Arrow III.

2 Likes

This is an interesting read…

3 Likes

Well it sounds so negative but it was never advertised otherwise, which is why there will be a bundle on the marketplace and Arrow III owners get a hefty discount (not on the marketplace, but if purchased on their shop). Also you get some price reduction on their shop using their “JustRewards” from the Arrow III purchase, so it ends up being around 10€.

Two new/modified models, paintjobs, “new” sounds, slightly different performances, two new cockpit color variations… For me the reduced price still makes it worth having some variation. Especially the T-tail Arrow IV is something you don’t get by just adjusting the config files.

Just like in the real life you don’t get any speed improvement (a bit more range I think?), but that’s not the point of this additional model anyway.

4 Likes

That’s true. Bigger tanks. Just under 700 nm I think, depending on power settings and cruise altitude.

And better efficiency in higher altitudes (oxygen is a must of course).
Also remember that by being able to fly higher, you are more flexible with avoiding clouds and other GA traffic at lower altitudes. It might not be relevant for flightsim but since it’s targeting some realism, such things are also relevant.

1 Like

It should keep 41inches up to 11,000 so it will not run out of puff so easily and some extra performance at these altitudes means that you can get somewhere on a stopwatch rather than a calendar.

1 Like

Maybe this list might help those not sure of the differences. Of course it shares a lot of commonality with the original Arrow but there are some differences, here’s a summary for you. And remember current Arrow owners qualify for a 66% discount too. Hope this helps:

• Two variants of the Arrow – Turbo Arrow III (conventional tail) and Turbo Arrow IV (T-tail). Other obvious exterior difference is the engine cowling, which houses the turbocharged TSIO-360, giving the aircraft a more sporty look (especially with the T-tail).
• Ten liveries (five per variant)
• Blue/grey cockpit colour scheme on the Turbo Arrow III, tan on the Turbo Arrow IV
• Cleaner, less worn cockpit to reflect private ownership (versus flying club ownership of Arrow III)
• Turbocharged engine sounds and some cockpit sounds (e.g. fuel pump)
• Differences in panel configuration – fuel primer pushbutton, two-position (high/low) fuel pump switch, engine instruments differ (EGT gauge, temperature and pressure indicators)
• Differences in flight dynamics due to heavier engine and T-tail characteristics
• High altitude performance of turbocharged engine – ideal for longer range flights with higher cruise altitudes, getting above weather and terrain etc
• Turbocharger overboost failure simulation, giving you something else to manage (optional, depending on maintenance option)

5 Likes

Saw some preview videos and I guess I’m sold, seems to add the right value for the discounted asked price.
JF has to thank all content creators that have been tubing videos :slight_smile:

Any date of release?, I think they told us it is gonna be this week after the SU4

:slight_smile:

Yep we do thank them and it’s win-win as they get to use a preview build and add some good content to their channels.

Thanks for the interest and hope you enjoy it if you do purchase.

Yes still aiming for that, just some minor stuff to still tweak.