Left handed / universal center GA stick?

I’m looking for a left hand/ universal stick for GA aircraft with a stick. Are the TM TCA and 16000m my only options? I’m going to mount it on my alu profile rig. So I’d like to have a longer stick. I already own the t16000m for space sims and it is mounted to the right. But GA aircraft are controlled with your left hand and have the stick in the center. I was looking at commercially available joystick bases and than add a left handed grip, but they are all focussed on combat grips which are all right handed. And I’m not willing to pay a fortune for a custom grip.

I have a 3d printer so I could do some modding and diy-ing. But I haven’t found the right designs yet and rather buy it than build it. Any advise? thx!

1 Like

Virpil Mongoos/T50.

Not cheap, but excellent. They are a bit OTT for GA, also being based on Russian modern combat aircraft, but if you’re short of LH options, it’s there.

They do have a number of different joystick grips to go with two bases - some are a lot less combat based, so you may find they do left hand versions of those, too.

https://virpil-controls.eu/shop/flightsticks.html

edit: apparently this one is “ambidextrous” too:

https://www.chproducts.com/Flightstick-Pro-v13-d-723.html

I had the same need for a good left-hand stick with extension.
I finally choose VKB.

Equiped with left-hand version of:

and the “S” 200mm extension:

Not cheap, but real quality materials, electronic, construction, clever conception, powerful programmation (but not as simple as others) and reactive forum.
Fully satisfied after 6 months of hard use.
It worth the price.

2 Likes

Your options include…

VKB Gladiator NXT - this is a traditional type joystick + twist with integral base but it features optional left or right hand grip and contactless sensors throughout.

VKB Gunfighter base + choice of grip.*
Virpil MongoosT-50cm2 or WarBRD base + choice of grip*

*These sticks have all metal gimbals and can be used with an extension to increase the length (and throw) of the stick and can usually also have interchangable cams to change the resistance of stick across range of travel (simulating aerodynamic forces on control surfaces.)

All VKB and Virpil devices mentioned above have left handed grips available - although the Russian fighter replica (MT-50) by Virpil mentioned above no longer comes in a left handed variant.

Having had this problem some ten or twelve years ago and a left hander, I just decided to go right handed and after a torrid few days got on well enough to leave the stick on the right side and haven’t looked back really. Also came in useful when I shattered my left wrist as well.

The point is not on to be left or right handed IRL.
Excepting some models (Cubs, aerobatics, fighters…), in the majority of planes you are seated at left place, having yoke or stick in left hand and controlling levers, radios and other things with the right hand. And it’s the most natural for the majority of people that are right handed.
I never understood why so few left-hand sticks on the market (the problem doesn’t exists with yokes) as it’s the most used way in real aircrafts.
I’d like to know how many of those who are demanding a strict realism in the sim are piloting with a fighter left hand throttle and stick in right hand ?
smiley

3 Likes

Same issue here: I am not looking for a left handed stick, or sticks with interchangeable left/right hand grips, or a pair of sticks like a 16000m duo pair, but I am looking for a stick that works equally well in the left and right hand and feels like a GA aircraft stick. I.e., not a fighter stick with buttons all over it, but something like what you use in a GA aircraft with a stick, whether that is a Pitts, a Stearman, a Pipistrel, or a DA40.

I move my Honeycomb Bravo quadrant to be either on the left or on the right to match the aircraft I am flying. My X56 works ok for aircraft with throttle to the left (e.g., many warbirds and aerobatics planes), but is really uncomfortable for aircraft with the throttle to the right (e.g., many LSA, DA40, DA62, Robin, and so on). And it does not feel right to fly a GA aircraft with a fighter aircraft style stick. Also not looking to spend many hundreds of dollars…

Seems there is still nothing on the market that matches this need? Do you think TM TCA is the best bet?

1 Like

I know Authentikit (the ones that makes Spitfire and P40 controllers) were working on a GA stick, but I don’t know if it’s done.
You should ask them, they are friendly and Spit40 on this forum is involved with them.
https://authentikit.org/vintage-ga/

As an alternative, the Spit MkI or MkIX sticks will fit your left/right hands requirements even if it’s not looking as a GA stick.
https://authentikit.org/spitfire-mk1a/
https://authentikit.org/spitfire-mkix/

I have to add that despite these parts are made in printed plastic, they are quality products. Good plastic quality, Hall-effect sensors in place of standards potentiometers, strong ball bearings everywhere needed and their kits are of high quality parts and complete until the last screw (even with some spare).
I love their products and they deserve to be better known.

1 Like

I just stumbled across this thread and I think it’s worth to bump it.

As described above the main problem when trying to fly a GA plane with a flightstick realistically is: there simply are no GA center flight sticks in the market even though almost all GA aircraft are flown with the left hand.

Currently the only ones the sort of work are:

• Warthog F-16: It IS a right hand HOTAS flightstick of course, but you can handle it with the left hand although it somehow feels wrong.
  • Virpil VPC Constellation (Left): Also doesn’t feel like a GA stick at all
  • VKB Sim SCG “Kosmosima” (Left): Also a HOTAS military flightstick that has no resemblance to a GA stick
  • WinWing Orion2 Airbus 3XX: Airbus stick with very few buttons, but problably the closest to a GA stick.

My personal favourite as a Left Hand center flight stick would be the Virpil WarBRD grip. While it’s still a miliary layout, it is a very classic design and provides a few additional buttons for funktions you don’t need in a real aircraft (like a hat 8-way-switch changing view direction). AND it would be compatible with the Thrustmaster Warthog base.

Does anyone have any more ideas?

The Virpil WarBRD looks like the Kosmosima.
I still recommend the VKB. It’s almost perfect, no problem since I have it. Always the same precision and reliability. It really worth it.
For the Kosmosima handle, as my VKB and its extension are under my talble, I don’t see the grip.
Since it’s fully modular, you can open it up and remove the buttons and POV that bother you to get a more GA look.
And if you don’t care about buttons an ultimate solution is to not use the Kosmosima handle and replace it with a simple piece of tube with a motorcycle rubber grip on it.
But my opinion is that you never have enough buttons to bind to control the maximum of functions with your fingertips!

Thanks very much. You’re right about the buttons. So in essence the VKB would be a good solution. But I was never too keen on them because to me the VKB grips come across as a bit on the cheap side compared to Virpil and TM.
And of course I would need a second base. So that’s not my favourite option at the moment. But I’ll give it some thought. Thanks again.

Maybe I’m missing something here - and please forgive me and this post if I am - but the TM16000 can be easily configured for left-hand use. If I remember correctly, you unscrew something near the base, swivel the palm rest around 180* and then remove the right hand-pad-thingy and install the left one… and that’s it. I own this stick and use it for Airbus and for GA flying… works great. I have a wheelstand pro mounting system that I configured so I can mount this stick in the center if I ever want to fly with it in this configuration - although I haven’t done this in a long time (right now my honeycomb yoke is mounted there since all the GA aircraft I fly IRL and in the sim have a yoke).

There are others thst can be made left or right by swapping/moving parts of the grip like this. I have an old Saitek that allows that but let’s face it the TM 1600 and others like it are not in the same class as the Virpil, VKB or Win Wing grips. It really depends on what quality you want.

I just looked at Virpil site.
It seems the WarBRD is only available in right hand version.

Indeed the only choice is one of the Alpha’s.

unfortunately

thats correct. but for me it’s no alternative as a center stick because it’s much too small and doesn’t feel right

Well, the Virpil products are modular and cost 3 or 4 times as much. Since I’ve never seen one, I have no idea as to the quality. I do have the VKB Gladiator. It replaced my Thrustmaster Airbus. Soon I will be getting the left-hand stick to use on my helicopter. It is well built and reasonably heavy that it does not move around or tip over. It is a complete unit and the steel base plate can be screwed down if desired.

only if you compare apples with oranges. The Gladiator series isn’t in the same league as the Virpil WarBRD. So if you take a Gunfighter Base the prices are similar

Also for me Virpil would be the better choice since I already have a Warthog base.
That’s why a left hand WarBRD grip would be ideal. The Constellation isn’t fully compatible

If you are going to mix and match putting a Virpil stick on a TM base is not the best way to go. The Virpil bases are far superior to the plastic gimbals used in the Warthog base. Therefore for a mix and match it’s better to go Virpil base TM stick. The TM stick is easily the best part of their design.

This doesn’t get you a left hand stick though.

I figure the best option for a current Warthog owner is to get a full Virpil left handed combo, keep the TM stick for heli’s and sell the TM base.

Buy a neutral used MS Force Feedback 2 Joystick for 50 bucks… I fly small GA with the left hand but gliders and fighter jets with the right hand. Best Joystick ever for me :grin: