Less CPU & GPU usage in flight

In the full video they’ve shown the system setup, it was a Ryzen 9 5950X which has a higher base and higher boost clock speed than your CPU (and the speeds are the most relevant, not the cores/threads).

Which makes sense for their test since comparing GPU performance is only useful if you’re GPU bound.

https://youtu.be/kAJAViPWR_8?t=205

1 Like

The 3060ti should be getting more than 61! I feel like the 3060ti should be hitting 100fps on 1080p but the sim is demanding and not fully optimise yet.
42FPS although still smooth for a 2060super at 1080p that is quite low for a gpu that is 1440p 60fps capable without raytracing.

I see a 3090 absorb about 70% utilisation in menu.
This drops to about 40% in world map and then drops to approx 30% in flight.

However, this frequently dips to 1% in flight.
At the same time as it does this all my CPU cores are also crashing to approx 0% activity.

(With resulting, regularly paced “stutter/freeze” which can be anywhere between 2 or 7 seconds long* I’ve tried timing…not got a well timed result yet)
Throughout play my CPU never exceeds 40c my GPU has never been seen to get close to it’s thermal limits.

At this point I have exhausted almost every tool in the hardware/OS environment optimization toolshed…it’s not the drives either…
This is something else. Network? I’m on a 300/10 service that otherwise regularly stomps twitch reflex online gaming FFS!

1 Like

I am getting the same issue with my old i5 and 2060super.World map gets sluggish along with in flight drops. Seems like an internal problem with the sim so its just not you :wink:

R 5 3600x, RTX 2060S, 32GB

I get about 20-50% CPU utilization.
One logical processor is about %100 with another five huddling around 50-70. The other six are around 25. I usually have a few add-on programs running as well as some background utilities.

GPU is anywhere between 50-100% depending on location and aircraft.

I’m usually limited by main thread or it will bounce between main thread and GPU. Under the right circumstances it will be GPU limited the majority of the time.

1 Like

buddy that seems like a serious issue not just the game’s sad n old API not utilizing yer cores
did ya come across such an instance in any other game?
(try disabling hyperthreading should put 50% more load on the cores than it usually would)
perhaps dcs or VR

as for @ANCRM114 and @MLTAVIATOR99 the game will not utilize anything more than 4cores/4threads blame dx11
so it all boils down to your single core performance if ya can suggest OC’ing n prolly getting the max speed ram yer chipsets support

edit- @somethingbrite ik it doesnt make sense since ya already got a chonker for a cpu but try following @CasualClick advice "Turn Bing Maps, Photogrammetry, Live Weather, Live Traffic off.

Set your traffic sliders to 10 - jets, GA, static airport, road and sea traffic.

Set Clouds to Low.

One of those should give you a fairly material boost."

No. Don’t see any issue in any other workload. This rig happily throws pixels around in anything else without breaking sweat. Sky full of aircraft in Cliff’s of Dover? Never drops a frame. VR in IL-2 BoX? Buttery smooth.

Im actually getting same, ever since the UK update its been a massive issue. Was running a 1080ti and it was happening off n on (thats since UK update, but maybe near adds ons in particular), but today got a RTX3090 and it is basically constantly low gpu utilization, and as a result low FPS and lots of stutters. If it were hardware/bottlenecking issue it would have done it before UK update too. ive set most items in nvidia cp to max performance, and this did help a bit, but my gpu (3090) has no issues staying maxed at 99% in other titles, which again makes me think theres something in the code telling the gpu to clock down prematurely

Which driver are you on and do you have geforce experience installed?

The sim is far more CPU limited than other games since a simulation is far more complex in terms of computations. Many games don’t utilize the CPU either but they are mainly GPU bound anyway.
So comparing with regular games is a bit unfair.
Still the issue is that for a CPU-limited game, MSFS is not utilizing enough of the power of current multi-core hyperthreaded CPUs.

I’m looking forward to the changes planned in the upcoming updates since they said the optimization for XBox will bring a lot for PC as well.

I guess if you manage to stay above 40fps in most situations right now, you’re doing fine.
Buying the most expensive graphics cards right now will not benefit you as much, except for 4K and VR maybe.

1 Like

Im on the latest Nvidia Driver (No GFE), might try some earlier ones tomorrow, but i was on the launch one with my 1080ti til UK, an only upgraded due to same issue, but is way worse on the 3090, pretty much constant, but its not being used much past 50%, but im on a 10core 7900x so doubt bottleneck?! DX12 will definitely be welcomed

Given the pure grunt available to a 3090 (as compared our previous 1080’s) I would expect to see a little less GPU utilisation.

What I am not expecting is the complete drops in utilisation. (and associated stutters)

Something is waiting on something else…and given that my threads stop at the same time I don’t think the GPU is waiting for the thread…(well, it is but…) I think the CPU is in fact waiting for something. Network related?

So theres obviously a general reduction in utilization in an around airports across the board, but can anyone confirm that, in the cruise, while in cockpit view only getting <50% usage, but when i go external view, it jumps back up to >80%… Utilization always seems better externally, even on the ground though??

Theres still an Main thread limitation issue, that hopefully Asobo fix in the upcoming sim update, but i found these elsewhere and made a big difference to my performance, hopefully helps

2 Likes

Better return to FSX + ORBX.
Smiling…

No pun intended CasualClick , but it all sounds that ridiculous…
Crazy , in fact.

Greetings

This is a Cloud-based application.

You are paying a performance penalty that puts strain on two systems - one not normally encountered in a standalone system; namely your network connectivity. It’s not just about Speed, but also Quality of Service - not only does it need to stream at the speed of your advertised/paid-for connection to the Internet (i.e., your ISP), but also what is the Quality of that connection? Is it going up or down like a rollercoaster or staying steady like a thoroughbred racehorse down the straightaway?

And that streaming has to integrate back into the sim, which is putting additional load on your CPU and GPU.

It’s a false narrative to think this is something even close to a stand-alone application like FSX, XP, P3D. Those programs don’t even have half the challenges that MSFS does in terms of what needs to work everytime, all the time.

3 Likes

A perfect TL;DR soundbite out of yesterday’s Dev Q&A; Jorg referred to the sim in the category of Game as a Service.