Let's collect locations with water masks already applied

And also the lakes around south Patagonia have nice turqoise color. Not really what we want, but still looks nice. The Lakes I cross over were Lago San Martin, Lago Viedma and Lago Argentino. You can Start from Villa O’Higgins (SCOH) Airport. Really nice little Airport in a town inbetween Patagonian Mountains, perfect for a stopover for a Bush Trip

Can’t take credit for this one, but a user posted this spot the other day.
I checked it out last night, and was surprised at how saturated the colours there are. But after
looking at satellite imagery and photos taken there… it actually seems correct.

7 Likes

So you want to see watermasking?

2 Likes

It is funny, I see it on some that people posted in last month but don’t see it on previous places.
Looks like they messed up some stuff.

Is there a latest updated list that also includes those that have lost their perfectly done masks as well ?

I have a question because I don’t have much knowledge of graphics programming and technology…are we a long way off from being able to have waves crashing on the shorelines? I would imagine that presently that would exceed consumer gpu pricing.

Probably, it’s kinda hard to get that effect perfect. But MSFS is actually coming quite close with the waves already forming around the coasts and the foam they are already creating in stormy weather. Waves crashing on the shorelines probably just needs some sort of particle effect, so maybe they can implement it one day when the effects system is up and running. You can bet that it will be quite GPU hungry though, so I would not expect it soon.

1 Like

Awesome to hear Jorg say on today developer Q+A that a worldwide watermark is due for release along with the UK update/sim update 3! A list of watermarks and a world map image showing all their locations will be release by Asobo for us to find them too. Great news!

4 Likes

That’s fantastic! Can’t wait for that!

This one was uploaded the other day to the library, I haven’t visited it myself yet, but looks cool from the screengrab.

3 Likes

This is one of my favourite threads. Water masking makes such a dramatic difference to the landscapes and coastlines of MSFS 2020. Flying over Providencia, Colombia [13.326131, -81.359471] in the sunshine is a breathtaking experience - it’s absolutely beautiful. I just wish we saw this kind of water masking in SE Asia, or off the coastlines of Africa, India, etc. - imagine the Philippines or the Indonesian archipelago was given this treatment… So many places that need water masking. Is it ever going to happen…?

2 Likes

A lot of water masks (hundreds as far as I can remember) were promised to be in the next World Update (UK update next week). They told in the Q&A that at least all areas showed in any trailer ever released will be implemented by then.

Let’s see which areas will be implemented within the next update.

2 Likes

Good to know. IMO they need to dedicate an entire team to just address the issue of adding water masks, globally. It really does make such an amazing difference to the visuals of MSFS2020. In reality, I know I’m never going to see all the places I’d like updated. I mean, we are talking about the entire world, after all, so I guess I should manage my expectations accordingly.

2 Likes

Hehe yeah that will probably not happen, but they do have people specifically working on creating water masks which is for now something that has to be done manually. They are also dependent on good satellite coverage which is even harder to get for those shallow water areas if I understand correctly.

1 Like

This is a vital bookmark for me. I do hope you keep ‘Flightspots’ up-to-date and I will certainly keep my eyes peeled for any new additions. Meanwhile, it’s good fun to check out the locations that you post there.

2 Likes

Thank you @CalUKGR It’s community driven so a big thanks to everyone who have added locations!

It’s a passion project for sure. And I try to add whenever I find a nice place to share, most spots added as the flightspots user is me. Feel free to add your favourite locations as well :slight_smile:

Water mask is cool.

I don’t know, though, if it is surprising to see that Honolulu has no photogrammetry.

I found a lot West of TUPJ.

VFR Princess Juliana Intl (TNCM) to Roosevelt Roads NS (Ofstie Field) (TJRV).pln (3.2 KB)

3 Likes

Where was this?

Have a look at my flight plan. And my first line says where. Many of those islands have them.

Apologies, I thought there were two different posts by two different users. That’s awesome. I’m working my way up from Venezuela in the 152, saw a ton of water asking along the Venezuelan coast (strangely enough). Glad to see what is awaiting me.

1 Like