Let's discuss Thrustmaster T-16000 binds

As I fly more with my HOTAS, I’m getting used to the default binds but some things strike me as a bit crazy and not very intuitive. For instance, why is elevator trim bound to buttons at the base of the stick? I’ll have to move those up onto the stick itself where they are more easily accessible when I’m flying.

Anyway, I’m notoriously lazy about doing my own binds for games and many times I look at other folks bind files when the defaults don’t suit me and more often than not I find someone else who apparently thinks like I do and I’ve found some good binds that way. Let’s discuss here. While I’m trying to sort mine out, input from others is always helpful. Are you moving stuff around? If so where are you moving what and why? As far as I know T-16000 is a pretty popular stick so let’s bounce some ideas and configurations around.

I’ve got flaps on 12 and 14 and trim on 11 and 13 (TWCS)
6 is free look around left and right, and up and down.
Rocker zooms in and out.
POV (D-Pad) moves left, right, up and down.
I also have an X-Box controller with default bindings.
I want to change stuff around but right now find it all a little confusing.
I wish the TWCS was right handed so that I could have the 16000 on the left.

1 Like

Thanks for responding. Those are interesting ideas. I especially like the flaps/trim combo and I think I’ll try that one to start with. I was going to put my elevator trims on Joy 3 and 4 but I do kind of like having the brakes and landing gear there so I’m glad for your suggestion. I haven’t had much chance to look into the controller. I’ve got one stashed in a corner somewhere here but I’ve got to find it. When you say “Rocker” are you referring to the paddles on the front of the throttle grip? I want to use those for something but I’m not sure of their button and axis designation.

1 Like

My TWCS settings:

The T16000M and the X-Box controller are both on default.
Basically, everything to do with flying the plane and looking around is on the TWCS and T16000M.
Everthing is personal choice but you could consider setting your T16000M POV switch the same as my TWCS #6 Switch. My 7,8,9 and 10 on the TWCS copy the X-Box controller rocker switch.
I’ve been really critical of the Camera and Binding systems but as I use them they become more familiar but I still don’t find them intuitive.

3 Likes

Thanks for the screenshots. I’m about to have to go run some errands but I will look at them in more detail later. I’m basically focused on my flying controls right now but I agree about the camera. I’m not real happy with it, not at all intuitive. In FSX I had a setup where I could cycle through each camera view by repeatedly clicking the same switch which I had set up on my trigger. It was a very quick way to cycle through everything. I’ve yet to look and see if that’s possible now.

1 Like

Skydancer, here goes for my FSX Bindings.

T1600:

1 Brake
2 View scan
3 Airbrake/Spoiler
4 Rudder Trim Centre
5 Landing Light
6 Strobe
7. Lock Screen (enables multi monitor)
8. Prop Sync (B58 Baron)
9. Pitot Heat
10 Fuel Pump
11. Water Rudder (DHC2 Beaver Float)
12. Cockpit view
13 Virtual Cockpit
14. Parking Brake
15. Engage Starter (Curtis P40)
16. Energise Inertia (Curtis P40)

I use neither the Z Axis nor the throttle slider - the latter is disabled.

TWCS Throttle:

1. Landing Gear - Toggle
  2. Cowl Flaps - Open
  3. Cowl Flaps - Close
  4. Flaps - Up incremental
  5. Flaps - Down incremental
  6. Flaps up - Quickly(Momentary Push)
  7. Mixture - Enrich
  8. Prop - Increase
  9. Mixture - Lean
  10. Prop - Decrease
  11. Elevator Trim
  12. Rudder Trim
  13. Elevator Trim
  14. Rudder Trim

RZ Axix (Rocker) - Rudder ( & Differential Braking in conjunction with T1600 - 1)
Z Axis - Throttle

No pedals

I can recommend the YouTube tutorials by Squirrel. I watched the #1 this morning and learnt a lot. Serial 2 - Control Bindings is tomorrow.

I’m not confident that I will be able to replicate that lot :upside_down_face:

Regards

dave

3 Likes

Here’s something that may be of use to you guys. I didn’t create these, they were made by a guy over in the Star Citizen community, which is my other big gaming passion. These are .PDF blanks for writing out and keeping track of your binds if need be and maybe that could be helpful to folks. I hope the link is OK to post here

5 Likes

Sorry to “barge in” with something that everyone probably already knows. But when I see discussions about input control numbers, I just want to make sure everyone knows that you can bind directly from the actual physical controller inputs without having to select the input numbers? The sim will identify the control input you press or slide when you make each binding. When you get to the binding properties window for each command, click in the box that says “Search By Input”. It will light up. Activate the physical control input you want to bind (switch, button, slider, axis, etx). MSFS should automatically recognize it and fill in the input number. Then click “Validate” to bind.

4 Likes

I have yet to figure out where this game is actually stored on my drive. Shouldn’t there be a file and directory structure somewhere? What I’m specifically looking for is an .XML file with all the bindings stored in it. That’s how most games work and it makes it easy to back up and switch out binds. Does MSFS not do this? Right now my M2 NVMe boot drive is only 240GB because I was running out of money when I built this rig. Obviously this program is maxing it out already and I need to replace it. I don’t want to get my binds just right and then have to redo them all when I switch out drives. Only one M2 slot on the mobo so it has to be a total switch out unless I can transfer stuff over to my 500GB SATA SSD and back. That’s seems like a lot more hassle than just backing up a bind file.

I see where it’s stored now but I can’t get in there because the file is hidden and I have to figure out permissions. Lot more hoops to jump through to find things compared to FSX.

[quote=“AbsenteeEagle35, post:7, topic:172472”]
T1600:
[/quote]T1600:

Please Can you do the same pictures for the t1600

It’s per the default. Nothing changed.

This is huge! Thank you!

I have made a blank sheet you can use to printout and write your assignments on if anyone wants to use it … It’s the " HOTAS blank sheets and 5 page keyboard bindings printout " which has the HOTAS sheets in a 2 page PDF format to print out.

I think you have to be registered to download it, but it is by far THE best website for downloads so far … and I have been using it for the last 18 years with no issues :¬)

Anyone want to share their binds? Looking for ideas.

1 Like

So I use:
TWCS
1 Brakes
2 Reverse thrust (hold)
3 Spoiler (but to turn off in the A320 have to manually do it in the cockpit)
4/5 Flaps up/dwn incrementally
6 —
7 NAV/GPS toggle
8 AutoPilot toggle
9 AutoThrottle toggle
10 —
11 AP heading toggle on/off
12 —
13 AP Altitude toggle on/off
14 AP Speed toggle on/off

T1600
1 BRAKE
2 Rudder trim to centre
3 Trim wheel dwn
4 Trim wheel up
5 Aileron trim L
6 Aileron trim R
8 Gear toggle
9 Rudder trim R
10 Rudder trim L
11 APU start
12 Battery toggle
13 Pushback
14 Arm spoiler (going to change)
15 Toggle spoiler (going to change)
16 Water rudder toggle

I have a G19s keyboard as well, and a G700s mouse:
The keyboard is running a script which turns the G keys into F13 -> F24 … that does give me more options though, as I use the G keys to control things I need two hands for, like CTRL+ SHIFT + NUM XXX
THe mouse is not used, apart from looking around, so no assignments there at all.

2 Likes

You’ll find your bindings in:

[DRIVE-LETTER]:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\SystemAppData\wgs\0009827027028F73_00000000000000000000000069F80140

Inside is a folder for each peripheral’s XML you can that you can re-map.

1 Like

I just got the Thrustmaster T.16000 HOTAS. I was under the impression that the rocker switch at the front of the throttle would control the rudder, but it isn’t doing anything in the sim when I am flying. Did I get a faulty throttle? From your layout it looks like it may not do anything in MS Flight Simulator.

I haven’t tried to get it to do anything in Flight sim but it is programmable, you just have to figure out which binds to assign. I use twist stick for rudder but hope to get some pedals soon when supply and demand even out and the prices come back down. They are outrageous right now.